D&D 5E More Golden Vault Info!

From a recent press release sent out by WotC. “A secret organization called the Golden Vault sends mission briefings to its operatives—the adventurers!—in the form of magical, golden keys that are inserted into what looks like a mundane music box. Instead of a pretty tune, though, the music box then provides a recording with all the information needed for the adventurers to hunt a particular...

vault.jpg

From a recent press release sent out by WotC.
  • “A secret organization called the Golden Vault sends mission briefings to its operatives—the adventurers!—in the form of magical, golden keys that are inserted into what looks like a mundane music box. Instead of a pretty tune, though, the music box then provides a recording with all the information needed for the adventurers to hunt a particular item of interest,” said Amanda Hamon, senior game designer on the D&D Team and co-lead designer of Keys from the Golden Vault. “It’s up to the adventurers to do the reconnaissance necessary to circumvent any defenses and pull off a legendary heist. Teamwork is paramount, because as so often happens in these capers, something will go wrong, and creative thinking could save the day!”
  • The Golden Vaiult is linked to metallic dragons, and is good-aligned. It has a motto: "“Do good, no matter the cost.”
  • The 13 adventures each have two full-page maps (one player map and one for the DM). The player map is often unreliable or incomplete.

Channel Your Inner Rogue with 13 Heist Adventures in Keys from the Golden Vault

Get the Mission, Plan the Caper, and Make Sure Everyone Gets Out Alive with the Prize

Renton, Wash., D&D players are not strangers to impossible missions. A perilous heist requires careful strategizing followed by daredevil antics when something unexpected happens and the players’ plan goes sideways. Dungeons & Dragons invites players to experience the thrill, drama, strategy, and intrigue of the heist genre in Keys from the Golden Vault, the latest Dungeons & Dragons book of adventures. Keys from the Golden Vault will be released in North America on February 21, 2023 and on March 24, 2023 in the UK/EMEA.

“A secret organization called the Golden Vault sends mission briefings to its operatives—the adventurers!—in the form of magical, golden keys that are inserted into what looks like a mundane music box. Instead of a pretty tune, though, the music box then provides a recording with all the information needed for the adventurers to hunt a particular item of interest,” said Amanda Hamon, senior game designer on the D&D Team and co-lead designer of Keys from the Golden Vault. “It’s up to the adventurers to do the reconnaissance necessary to circumvent any defenses and pull off a legendary heist. Teamwork is paramount, because as so often happens in these capers, something will go wrong, and creative thinking could save the day!”

The Golden Vault is rumored to be associated with metallic dragons and based on one of the good-aligned Outer Planes. Its operatives help the downtrodden and innocent when the law can’t. The organization’s motto is: “Do good, no matter the cost.”

D&D players can live out their fantasies of running a caper like one they might have seen on the silver screen in movies such as Mission: Impossible; Ocean’s 11; or even The Great Muppet Caper. The thirteen adventures in Keys from the Golden Vault range from levels 1 to 11. They can be played as one-offs dropped into ongoing campaigns, or run as a campaign of heists perpetrated by the same crew.
“Each adventure includes two full-page maps: one that players can use to plan their heist, and another the Dungeon Master uses to run the adventure,” said Chris Perkins, Story Architect of the D&D Team and co-lead of Keys from the Golden Vault. “The players’ map, however, is often unreliable or incomplete.”

Keys from the Golden Vault has an alternate cover by Simen Meyer, available only through game stores, and an evergreen cover by Anna Podedworna, available in North America on February 21, 2023. Fans who pre-order the digital/physical bundle at dndstore.wizards.com will be able to access the digital release on February 7, 2023.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Eh. Level maximums have been all over the place. They reset each edition. Level 20 is more common than not, but level caps have been unlimited (AD&D's Throne of Bloodstone included support for level 100 characters), level 36 and level 30 in the past.

If they can't make the higher levels work, take them out.
We may be a minority, but there are still a LOT of us that play to higher levels. How about instead of trying to take away from folks, suggest the additions that you want?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Given how many more signatures of paper are required to print all the higher level spells and monsters, that feels like a weird business decision to me. They could print smaller books or flesh out 1 through 10 more and print a smaller print run for the higher level content in a supplemental book. 🤷‍♂️
If they tried to relegate my group and to being second class citizens like that, we'd walk away from WotC. We have enough old stuff to last forever. It wouldn't matter to us if they tried to make it up later in a supplemental book.

MarkB

Legend
I'm hoping they playtested these.

Heist in a magic world are hard. The writer forgets about speak with animals or something and the players turn a three session arc into thirty minutes.
That's a big reason why a high-level scenario in this genre would be a nightmare to write. There's just such a wide range of spells, class features and magic items to take into account that would swing the whole thing in different directions.
Second I don't want is a game where half of it is spent with a familiar, polymorphed character, or wizard eye scouting the location. While the other 4 party members sits on there phones
It'd be good to come up with a way of abstracting such scouting methods. Like, instead of playing the whole thing out, set a high DC for completely scouting-out the place, and just make 1-2 rolls to see whether they make it. For every 5 points they fail by, remove one area of the location, starting from highest security and working downwards, that they were unable to scout before they got cornered and had to back out. But they only actually risk getting detected/caught on a natural 1 followed by a failed save.

Then, instead of playing out the scouting mission, just let them ask questions about the facility as a group and fill in the details.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
My experience matches what @Parmandur has been saying.

We bought into Mad Mage (the only WotC AP that goes to 20th level); and we petered out around 13th. We have moved onto the new shiny (actually, 3 new shinies - we finished Icewind Dale, have played some Candlekeep; and are maybe halfway through Witchlight). One definitely, and maybe one other of the players say they'd like to go back to Mad Mage; and I'm not against it; but boy Mad Mage became a slog at the higher levels.

Having the aspirational uber powerful 18th-20th level characters is fun to imagine; but even at 13th level hooboy the options to choose from and the length of combats made a session sort of a slog...

Reynard

Legend
That's a big reason why a high-level scenario in this genre would be a nightmare to write. There's just such a wide range of spells, class features and magic items to take into account that would swing the whole thing in different directions.
If the target is in Hell, protected by divine level magic, things stay on track better.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they tried to relegate my group and to being second class citizens like that, we'd walk away from WotC. We have enough old stuff to last forever. It wouldn't matter to us if they tried to make it up later in a supplemental book.
And I think WotC has any intention of doing that, even if they also have nonintention of putting out mu h high Level pre-built material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And that has been killing me. My campaigns end at anywhere from 15th to 20th level. I've been struggling since 8th or 9th level because the vast majority of things are below those levels.
Yeah, that's unfortunate: obviously the market for pre-built stuff at higher Levels is not zero, but the economics are about playing the numbers.

Remove ads

Remove ads