WotC More info on Baldur's Gate 3 coming February 27 2020

In this brief clip we see some voice acting for Volo and a quote, some motion capture, orchestra, some photography that I'm not sure how it would be used in a video game and lastly a date February 27 2020, which happens to be the date of Pax East. Speculate away.

In this brief clip we see some voice acting for Volo and a quote, some motion capture, orchestra, some photography that I'm not sure how it would be used in a video game and lastly a date February 27 2020, which happens to be the date of Pax East.

Speculate away.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really doubt that this is a good thing. Too many chefs spoil the dish, especially when you have a visionary developer such as Swen Vincke paired with a guy like Mearls who undoubtedly wants to put his signature on the game.
Collaborations are quite often a very good thing, particularly between individuals who both have a strong vision.

miggyG777

Explorer
Collaborations are quite often a very good thing, particularly between individuals who both have a strong vision.
Can you give me some examples? I highly doubt that, especially since strong visions are unlikely to be congruent, therefore being more harmful than good to each other.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Can you give me some examples?
Pretty much 90% of modern western music history, for a start.

Talisman and Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub, for an off the top of my head novel example.

The Great Gatsby was co-written byZelda Fitzgerald, who was a writer with a strong vision in her own right.

The vast majority of video games, movies, tv shows, etc, are made by a team, and many of the best are true collaborations between a leader, and several people who “want to leave their mark”.

The Matrix was written and directed by two people.
🤷‍♂️

miggyG777

Explorer
Pretty much 90% of modern western music history, for a start.

Talisman and Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub, for an off the top of my head novel example.

The Great Gatsby was co-written byZelda Fitzgerald, who was a writer with a strong vision in her own right.

The vast majority of video games, movies, tv shows, etc, are made by a team, and many of the best are true collaborations between a leader, and several people who “want to leave their mark”.

The Matrix was written and directed by two people.
🤷‍♂️

Fair enough.

However, team and leader does not equal two individuals that want to lead in their own right.

Time will tell how this will work in the case of BG3. I still have a feeling that Mearls and Vicke are not compatible but I won't mind being proven wrong.

Nebulous

Legend
Can you give me some examples? I highly doubt that, especially since strong visions are unlikely to be congruent, therefore being more harmful than good to each other.
It can go both ways, either supplementing an artistic endeavor or tearing it apart. This frequently happens in the film industry where you have a director with a clear vision, but the producers - who front the millions of dollars - have a different idea. Many a great movie, or an idea of a movie, has been ripped apart by the producers in their desire to cultivate something other than what the director envisions. OTOH, when a director and producer align and are in agreement, then real magic can happen.

And there are cases like George Lucas in the original trilogy who had a very clear vision, but it was tempered by A) budget B) Editors C) producers. In the prequel trilogy he was given free reign without anyone to question his decisions, and the end product suffered for it (my opinion of course, but I'm not alone in that).

This is a very interesting video about how editing saved the original Star Wars. It was in shambles when the editors got a hold of it, and in post they molded it into the movie we all know and love today.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Okay. That doesn’t really bear much on what I said, though.
The devs for this game are obsessed with staying true to the mechanics of 5e. The likelihood that the game will be nothing like 5e is slim to none. That is literally all I commented on, regarding the prospects of this game.

It's my hope they do, and I have little reason to doubt them at this point (my doubts lie not in the technical areas, but that they won't make this as goofy as D:OS). I'd need to see the game and how the mechanics work, but I really do want this game to succeed as a welcome addition to the Baldur's Gate series.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads