• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More on SWORD COAST LEGENDS: Campaign Tools & Starting Races

Some more information about Sword Coast Legends has emerged. MMORPG.com interviewed D&D's brand director, Nathan Stewart, and Dan Tudge, the president of n-Space (the video game company behind the upcoming game). They mention that the Neverwinter Nights comparisons are warranted and discuss DM tools, starting races, and other tidbits. (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Some more information about Sword Coast Legends has emerged. MMORPG.com interviewed D&D's brand director, Nathan Stewart, and Dan Tudge, the president of n-Space (the video game company behind the upcoming game). They mention that the Neverwinter Nights comparisons are warranted and discuss DM tools, starting races, and other tidbits. (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

One interesting quote from Tudge on the campaign tools is this: "The DM is fully capable of customizing experiences and significantly altering a player's adventure by changing encounters, placing traps, spawning monsters, creating quest NPCs, generating secret areas, locking doors -- all in real-time. We also have deep campaign tools that enable DMs to build near limitless campaigns for their players (more on that later!)." It's the last part that's really interesting.

Also of interest is Stewart's confirmation that "The Forgotten Realms is the universe that we at Wizards of the Coast are focusing our storytelling in for the foreseeable future", which may disappoint some hoping for adventures set elsewhere after Princes of the Apocalypse comes out.

Regarding the video game's content, Tudge says that "At launch, SCL features Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, and Human races. Again, this decision comes down to our focus on quality and our team discipline with regard to scope. We are planning to release more races post-launch. I know I want to play a Half-Orc, my sons want to play Dragonborn and my wife a Teifling - so we can probably expect to see the Teifling soon after launch!"

You can read the full interview here, which includes some fascinating stuff about how "n-Space and Wizards of the Coast are very well aligned strategically". That's the more unusual, little known definition of "fascinating", of course.

SCL2.jpg

I don't know about the whole real time DMing thing, but when I think about how much power you can put in a map editor, I always remember the Warcraft III world editor. If more than 10 years ago Blizzard delivered that level of customization, I believe it's about time for someone to deliver the kind of experience nSpace is describing. Let's wait and see.

Sonny

Adventurer
I'm always disappointed when an official press release contains misspellings.

The correct spelling is "tiefling." It's pronounced "tee-fling." For more info, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tiefling

/rant

Having extensive DM powers sounds great to me. If the game is great, I wouldn't care if they set it in Whimsyshire.

While it does annoy me when press releases are inaccurate, this isn't an official press release... it's an interview. The writer made a mistake.

Krypter

Explorer
>"[...] and my wife a Teifling - so we can probably expect to see the Teifling soon after launch!"

Now we see who really runs this software company. :D

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Gotta love video game journalism. No discussion of implementation, no discussion of DLC strategy. The writer could have just Instagrammed himself making out with the game box and we'd all have saved a lot of time.

Gecko85

Explorer
Gotta love video game journalism. No discussion of implementation, no discussion of DLC strategy. The writer could have just Instagrammed himself making out with the game box and we'd all have saved a lot of time.

Damn, I miss NextGen magazine. It was soooo good. They would have absolutely dug deep into game mechanics, back-end tools, etc. It got watered down when it was sold and became Next Generation magazine, but even that was better than the rest.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Pretty sure they will set it at the most current point in time, WoTC has said they want to tie in the big story adventures across multiple platforms. The dragon queen stuff is already in Neverwinter MMO, and the Elemental Evil one is going to be introduced as well.

So I would imagine they want the future story lines to be able to go into this game game too, one of the reasons I bet it is set in the realms. They want the organized play, the big adventure paths, and the video games to all be able to be doing the same stuff essentially.
So no Blackstaff, no Open Lord Piergeiron, no Halaster in Undermountain.

Sad panda.

Fallen star

Explorer
I will buy this and play single player only, since isometric party-control is my favorite style of RPG video game. Hopefully the campaign doesn't suck.

The DM mode and multiplayer mean nothing to me unless they provide some sort of in-game match making.

barasawa

Explorer
For running games online I really like the Tabletop Connect, but it's not a game in itself, it's a virtual gaming table.
If anyone wants to check it out, it's at http://www.tabletopconnect.com/

As to trying to modify things in a pseudo-video game realtime in SCL, yeah, I highly suspect it will end up frustating & complex, or just to simplified to do much. I guess we'll just need more info or even a demo to help clarify that.

Remove ads

Remove ads