D&D 4E Most specific question ever (4e pros only)

HighTemplar

First Post
I am trying to remember what I think was an item which I read a while ago...

If this sounds familiar, please tell me so
(I've tried looking for any related word in the compendium... I'm thinking the item was removed ? or I imagined it)

The "item" is a device, probably armor or belt that has kind of a "dominator"/"master of puppets" ring to it.

The way I recall it there are some kinds of chains in which you can bind slaves and they strengthen you in some way... So i'ts kind of a big badass suit where you can restrain slaves or minions or something.

I don't know the effect, maybe you can draw from their healing surges, maybe they grant you temporary hp... maybe they heal you or maybe you just bind people... whatever it is, i need to find that "artifact" or "armor" or maybe it's even a ring set...

Ring any bells ?

Obryn

Hero
I'd check the 3e Book of Vile Darkness, but other than that I have no idea. That doesn't much sound like any published 4e item I've seen.

With that said, it'd be pretty easy to model for a powerful NPC. But I don't think this sort of thing is player-friendly.

-O

Cendragon

Explorer
It sounds like you are referring to the Armor of the Dread Emperor from the 3rd edtion Book of Vile Darkness. There is a new Book of Vile Darkness for 4e slated to be released later this year but I don't know if the Dread Emperor or his armor will be brought forward.

Armor of the Dread Emperor
This suit of +1 full plate has four 5-foot chains connected to it at the waist. Each chain has a ring manacle sized to fit around a humanoid neck. If people are placed in these manacles by either the armor's wearer or his minions, the armor is ready to display its true power. Whenever the wearer takes damage, the captives held by the chains take half the damage themselves. If the chains hold more than one person, divide the half damage among all of them. Operating in this armor with chains attached to other people is difficult. The wearer takes an additional -5 armor check penalty unless the victims are somehow magically subdued or controlled, such as by stupor or dominate person. If the captives are children, the additional armor check penalty is only -2. If the captives are subdued or controlled children, there is no additional armor check penalty.
CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, shield other; Market Price:14,650 gp.
Source:Book of Vile Darkness

HighTemplar

First Post
Yes thats it !!!!!!!!

thank you so much.

I really thought it was 4e, sorry for making you guys look for nothing.

I sometimes like to bring legendary(artifact) items I call "Ancient" which emulate the properties of past editions, this will make a great BBEG.

I kicked the "player friendliness" out of my game ages ago, now they like it because it's a constant challenge :D

HighTemplar

First Post
It's just a regular specific item (+1 Plate, which sucks)

I am making it something more special tho :D
The players will never use it which is perfect for game balance

moxcamel

Explorer
It's just a regular specific item (+1 Plate, which sucks)

I am making it something more special tho :D
The players will never use it which is perfect for game balance
Yeah you could add it to any set of armor, really. In fact, if you look at the Goblin Hexer creature, it has a similar ability to get you started for statting it out 4e-style.

Man, that takes me back. Thing I'll pull out my BoVD for some light bedtime reading tonight. :devil:

Also comes in cloth armor:

kid_leashes.jpg

the Jester

Legend
Well, the Dread Emperor is mentioned in the Shadowfell section of the 4e Manual of the Planes... might even be statted up, I can't recall and my books are outside in the car.

Cyberknight

First Post
Well, the Dread Emperor is mentioned in the Shadowfell section of the 4e Manual of the Planes... might even be statted up, I can't recall and my books are outside in the car.
He is on page 57 of MotP. He takes up over half of the page, but alas no stats.

Two nice little quotes from the book "Worse of all, he keeps a knot of desperate children shackled to his belt by the chains." and "The plight of the poor souls bound to his belt is enough to tug on the heartstrings of those who behold them, but his hosts tuck away their outrage lest they anger the vile being".

Both of these quotes would go nice with RangerWickett's picture, I think.

Remove ads