• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Unbalanced Prestige Classes?

Olive

Explorer
Count Arioch the 28t said:
I don't think that many PrCs are overpowered, but the one that sticks out is Dweomerkeeper from the Complete Divine update on wizards.com.

People have mentioned this one. What's the deal?

Wonger

First Post
Psion said:
I thought the original poster asked about official sources.

If you want unofficial sources... oh the tales I could tell...

Yeah, I didn't want to wade through 100 pages of posts about broken prestige classes. WotC provides plenty! If I find one from a d20 publisher that I like, I give it a good look through, and if a player introduces me to one, I give it a meticulous look through!

But, many of the players are picking up books that I don't even own yet, like Complete Warrior and Divine, so this thread is to help me get a leg up on those crafty players!

Still good stuff! Keep it coming!!!

vtaltos

Explorer
I can't believe it, 3 pages in and no Hammer of Moradin? Easily the most overpowered Prc I have seen in a WOTC product! The Warshaper is pretty bad as well.

silentspace

First Post
vtaltos said:
I can't believe it, 3 pages in and no Hammer of Moradin? Easily the most overpowered Prc I have seen in a WOTC product! The Warshaper is pretty bad as well.

The Hammer of Moradin is good if you have a really good set of stats. If you have a 'standard' array, its not so great. If you're a druid, Warshaper is not worth it, you're better going straight druid, I think. But if you're a savage species shapechanging race, it's probably a pretty nice class.

vtaltos

Explorer
silentspace said:
The Hammer of Moradin is good if you have a really good set of stats. If you have a 'standard' array, its not so great. If you're a druid, Warshaper is not worth it, you're better going straight druid, I think. But if you're a savage species shapechanging race, it's probably a pretty nice class.

Gotta disagree on both counts. The Hammer of Moradin gets 15 different special abilities over 10 levels and between level based att points, magic items and spells, you WILL have good enough stats.

As for the Warshaper, EVERY 6th level druid qualifies and in the first 3 levels gets immunity to crits/stunning, +4 str and con, and reach!

silentspace

First Post
vtaltos said:
Gotta disagree on both counts. The Hammer of Moradin gets 15 different special abilities over 10 levels and between level based att points, magic items and spells, you WILL have good enough stats.

As for the Warshaper, EVERY 6th level druid qualifies and in the first 3 levels gets immunity to crits/stunning, +4 str and con, and reach!

Well, all I can say is the Hammer of Moradin didn't work for me. At minimum you need good Str, Con, Wis and Cha. Dex helps make the hammer throw abilities useful. Sure, by 18th level you will have good items for stats, but getting there is tough. But I was using 25 point buy, so take that for what it's worth.

Druid 6/Warshaper 3 vs. Druid 9? I'll take Druid 9, which gives you 5th level spells (vs 3rd level) and Wild shape 3/day - Large (vs 2/day - Medium). Venom immunity is a nice perk too.

Someone

Adventurer
epochrpg said:
oh, i see.

If you suggest that I´m biased because I´m playing one, well, you´re wrong.

Psion, It´s "only" level wiz3/cle3/MT4. I agree that the prestige class becomes increasigly better at higher levels, but I doubt that living that sweet spot at level 16 compensates the levels you have to build the class requisites.

Taren Seeker

First Post
Windwalker: If you want to qualify for this class with any sort of skills or useful feats then you are best off taking a level or 2 of Ranger which of course puts you behind in spellcasting. It's a strong class but not broken. Most of the abilities that you gain also become superceded by the later levels. (air walk, feather fall, etc)

Hammer of Moradin: this class becomes MUCH stronger if you take the Axe Thrower feat (in PGtF) which allows you to use your str to hit with thrown weapons. Strongest fighting class I have seen except maybe for the Frenzied Beserker. Hammer is tough to really judge because many of the powers are not complementary. My gut says b0rken tho, and FB is definitely that.

Warshaper: People often overlook that all of those nifty abilities only work when you are shaped. Rules for a Doppleganger, not so much for a Druid.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Wonger said:
Yeah, I didn't want to wade through 100 pages of posts about broken prestige classes. WotC provides plenty! If I find one from a d20 publisher that I like, I give it a good look through, and if a player introduces me to one, I give it a meticulous look through!

But, many of the players are picking up books that I don't even own yet, like Complete Warrior and Divine, so this thread is to help me get a leg up on those crafty players!
You are not playing against the players.

When your player shows you a character, ask what it can do. Ask them to tell you the best they expect to get out of it. Ask them WHY they want such a character. THEN decide whether the PrC/feat/whatever is right for your campaign. And if it's not, tone the abilities down or pick out something comparable that they can go into which keeps the style of the character.

Trying to preemtively vet every prc and feat combination is the road to madness.

Remove ads