• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Unbalanced Prestige Classes?

Wonger

First Post
I'm launching a new campaign soon, and I'd like to avoid having PCs choose a prestige class that I only figure out is horribly unbalanced months after they take it.

So please, if you know of a poorly balanced prestige class, list it here with a as brief as possible blurb why it is bad! Then I can look it up and make a choice if I'm going to ban it or modify it or what have you.

I'm only including WotC published PrC's at this point: DMG, splatbooks, Complete Books, Dragon, etc...

Chime in!!

der_kluge

Adventurer
The one I see mentioned a lot is the Order of the Bow Initiate, from the FRCS (I believe). Really, really powerful.

In fact, I find most stuff (feats, spells, everything) from the Forgotten Realms books to be just over the top in terms of power. At first glance, they seem balancing, but then I always regret allowing it later on. The "spell prodigy" feat comes to mind. There are others.

I've seen some "weak" prestige classes, but I've not personally come across any really powerful ones in my own campaign.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I should add that I believe there is a revised Order of the Bow Initiate in the Complete Warrior. And, I can only hope that it is fixed. Most of the Prestige Classes in the Complete Warrior are very solid.

The Order of the Bow Initiate in the Complete Warrior (not a FR class) is actually balanced - it is the older printing of it in Sword and Fist that is way over the top, in my opinion.

The Dervish from the Complete Warrior is a bit unbalanced, from what I've seen of it in play.

Also, if you do allow FR books, stay away from anything having to do with Shadow Magic & Spellfire. Both feats and PRCs. Unless you are having a campaign that is including those elements (and thus the ways to exploit their weaknesses) they are far too powerful for your campaign (from my personal experience).

Really, because the Forgotten Realms is a high-magic, high-power campaign setting, the items published for FR are a bit powerful for a 'normal' campaign. If you are not running a FR campaign, I would suggest looking over anything from a FR book carefully before allowing it.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Without a doubt, Radiant Servant of Pelor. That one just is undead slaughter fiend. Short of something with a lot HD or a Death Knight, few undead can withstand the assault of a RSoP.

Impeesa

Explorer
Nobody's mentioned anything utterly broken yet... though the Radiant Servant is powerful. Things to watch out for: Hulking Hurler (CW). Easy to do hundreds of thousands of damage with that thing. The revised Dweomerkeeper from the CD Web Enhancement. How does Wish or Miracle 4/day with no xp cost sound to you?

--Impeesa--

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Geomancer seemed VERY powerful at high levels, and a lot of people say the Ur-Priest is "broken". I don't know, I've not played in a campaign high level enough to even BOTHER with PrC's. :(

Psion

Adventurer
I don't think Geomancer is that potent -- it has to split its entry casting levels and only benefits from advancing in one class at a time.

Ur-Priest (and for that matter, any class geared to get spells at a level sooner than avaialble to a normal class -- there are several, so watch out for apostle of peace, divine champion, and so forth) and Radiant Servant would get the nix in my game. Hulking Hurler is only broken by virture of an ill-spoken mechanic, but you could easily nix the whole class to avoid the problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads