D&D 5E Most Underrated D&D Module

guachi

Hero
My vote is for B10: Night's Dark Terror.

It's a shockingly good adventure. I had purchased the collection B1-9:In Search of Adventure in 1987. Nine adventures for $15? Good deal for a 13 year-old! Also in 1987 I started buying the D&D Gazetteers and fell in love with the Known World. B10, published in 1986, however, was not something I purchased at the time. I didn't like the cover. I did eventually buy the $5 pdf (ebay copies are stupid expensive) two years ago.

It's not shown up on any "best of" lists that I'm aware of. At least, not on "best of" lists from magazines or websites. It has, on the other hand, gotten many positive comments from discussion forums like this one, which is why I was so eager to get it (as well as completing my Mystara line of products)

Many have, rightly, compared it to Lost Mines of Phandelver. It's an episodic adventure for low level characters. An AP for levels 1-5, if you will. The adventure, like LMoP also has some mini-adventures not related to the main plot, though they aren't as easily accessible. It took what was at the time a mostly blank slate of a country, Karameikos, and fleshed it out via module.

I've run it twice now and sucking the PCs into the slowly expanding plot (which I had tied into other external events to pique the PCs interest) is just so fun. Even my wife, who hates RPGs, said she "loved the story". The PCs always had a sense that their actions made a difference.

Sure, there is a bit of a railroad, but the players felt like they were heroes in a movie that were swept up in the adventure (like a good Star Wars movie, and my wife loves Star Wars).

I also had the PCs meet the plot hook NPC in their very first adventure as 0 XP level one PCs in the stereotypical "inn that adventurers hang out in to get adventuring ideas". They also met several other NPCs so it wasn't obvious that this guy was "Plot-Hook Man". They then rescued him in their second adventure, N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God (thankfully not underrated), and he innocently said he wanted to reward them and invited them back to his and his brother's farmstead (little did they know what was in store).

Oh... I almost forgot to add that the adventure is a fantastic bridge from the dungeon settings of Basic levels 1-3 and the wilderness settings of Expert levels 4+. For 5e, it fits wonderfully as a bridge between Local Heroes (levels 1-4) and beginning Heroes of the Realm (levels 5-10)

It's $5 for the pdf (no Print on Demand yet). Or you can get B1-12 for $29. Cheap!

Go now and buy it.

What's your most underrated D&D module?

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Tale of the Comet.

2e. A spaceship lands, and you investigate, and get some alien tech, but then go into space and fight aliens.

Say, I think that may have been referenced in Volo's Guide, were there Vegepygmies in that one...?

Hoard of the Dragon Queen: it has a deserved reputation for imperfection, but there is a lot of material here, and fun to be had used right.

Great question!

I have never liked Keep on the Borderlands or White Plume Mountain. Too randomly nonsensical for my tasted. Yet for some inexplicable reason I recently purchased 2E's Return to Keep on the Borderlands and Return to White Plume Mountain. And they're starting to grow on me. In fact, I may just mash them together into one mega adventure. They complement each other nicely. The story would go something like this: The Mountain is the lair of a deranged wizard. The Caves of Chaos guard the approach to the Mountain and are populated by the wizard's failed experiments, who are compelled to gather together for reasons they cannot fathom. The Keep itself acts as a long term home base for an expedition into the Mountain. There's enough story logic there to justify the gonzo elements of both adventures.

guachi

Hero
I should add that, this being a 5e forum and all, another reason I like Night's Dark Terror is that it's fairly easy to convert to 5e. Though I think that can be said for every 1e/2e/Basic lower level adventure I've looked at.

JonnyP71

Explorer
UK4 - When a Star Falls (another one in which Graeme Morris had an involvement).

I 1st bought it in 1987, and am only now running it for a group for the 1st time.

From a fantastic opening sequence (I copied all the memories to slips of paper and hurled them into the players' faces when the Memory Web died), to neatly designed encounter locations, stir in a liberal dose of roleplaying, and tie it together with the most interesting plot I've ever seen in a published adventure.

And it never appears on any of the 'best of' lists either. I guess the UK made adventures just didn't have the impact they should have done in the States - shame, as many of them were better than most of the stuff the US writers were churning out.

Shiroiken

Legend
Say, I think that may have been referenced in Volo's Guide, were there Vegepygmies in that one...?

Hoard of the Dragon Queen: it has a deserved reputation for imperfection, but there is a lot of material here, and fun to be had used right.
Volo's is referencing Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, which is a classic (if odd) Greyhawk Adventure.

Will Doyle

Explorer
I guess the UK made adventures just didn't have the impact they should have done in the States - shame, as many of them were better than most of the stuff the US writers were churning out.

The UK mods were great. I'll throw in a vote for "UK6: All That Glitters...": a proper quest into the unknown, based on a fragmented treasure map. Great fun.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I say 2E's Dragon's Rest from the Dragonlance series. It didn't follow the War of the Lance main plot and took place in some other dimension. The characters would travel from this island (maybe in the Astral Plane) to other dimensions to recover MacGuffins. Then they would return to a random place on the astral island. My favorite part was the variety of the foes, challenges, and places for each segment of the module. The dimensions you went to and the places you returned to on the astral island were all different and interesting, so the module felt fresh every step of the way. And it culminates with an epic dragon-riding battle. I don't know if it holds up but it was my favorite D&D module to play in.

Remove ads