D&D 4E Mouseferatu weighs in on 4e

A'koss said:
Hmmm... I've never heard of anyone from WotC refuting the 1,000 HP dragon, but I certainly could have missed something. Reading this again, it could be that 500 HPs are it's maximum. The paragraph is poorly worded if this is the case...

No, that was me misremembering. What they refuted was the idea that the fighter did more than 500 hp in one shot. (Hence my removal of the HP comment from the post. :))

Incenjucar

Legend
Mouseferatu said:
No, that was me misremembering. What they refuted was the idea that the fighter did more than 500 hp in one shot. (Hence my removal of the HP comment from the post. :))

No fair using feinting maneuvers before we get the social combat rules. :p

A'koss

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Gotcha...

So what's your favorite 4e class? Favorite monster? What do think is the most improved class (interest-wise)? Most improved monster?

Mortellan

Explorer
Good work Ari, keep it up.

My only skepticism not mentioned so far is the comment of the game being uncluttered. Anytime I wanted to unclutter 3.x I'd stick to the Core three books. I would be highly surprised if 4e didn't become just as cluttered once inevitable splat books kick in. At best 4e will be so airy and loose (judging from my playing of SWS) that it will just take longer to clutter up, but in any case I'm definitely wary of anything not in the Core books from now on.

Mortellan said:
My only skepticism not mentioned so far is the comment of the game being uncluttered. Anytime I wanted to unclutter 3.x I'd stick to the Core three books. I would be highly surprised if 4e didn't become just as cluttered once inevitable splat books kick in. At best 4e will be so airy and loose (judging from my playing of SWS) that it will just take longer to clutter up, but in any case I'm definitely wary of anything not in the Core books from now on.

Well, I think rules bloat is a risk that any RPG runs with every expansion--and of course, an RPG needs to expand to survive.

Will 4E manage to remain uncluttered forever? I wouldn't dare prognosticate on that. But I think there's plenty of expansion possible before said clutter becomes an issue. :)

A'koss said:
Gotcha...

So what's your favorite 4e class? Favorite monster? What do think is the most improved class (interest-wise)? Most improved monster?

Wow. I wouldn't hazard to guess which new class or monster is my favorite; I haven't seen enough of them in long-term play.

I'll say that I'm currently playing a rogue, and he's one of my favorite characters in years. And I never really enjoyed rogues in 2nd or 3rd ed. Whether that makes it the most improved, I couldn't say.

Monster-wise, I'm really liking the way dragons work. The undead selection rocks. Oh, and I love the flavor of gnolls in 4E. :) But again, this is just an initial thought; there's lots more I'm digging on.

A'koss

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Wow. I wouldn't hazard to guess which new class or monster is my favorite; I haven't seen enough of them in long-term play.

I'll say that I'm currently playing a rogue, and he's one of my favorite characters in years. And I never really enjoyed rogues in 2nd or 3rd ed. Whether that makes it the most improved, I couldn't say.
Seeing as the rogue is my 2nd favorite class, this is definitely a good sign. Have you (or someone in your group) had a chance to playtest the multiclass rules? Any comments?

Monster-wise, I'm really liking the way dragons work. The undead selection rocks. Oh, and I love the flavor of gnolls in 4E. :) But again, this is just an initial thought; there's lots more I'm digging on.
The lowly gnoll's getting some luv in the new edition? Nice.

Yeah I seem to recall a tidbit released a little while back saying that the classic humaniods have very different combat styles now (Gnolls fight in packs, kobolds set traps, etc.) and are also getting spread out over a much broader level range...

A'koss said:
Have you (or someone in your group) had a chance to playtest the multiclass rules? Any comments?

Haven't seen much of them, honestly. And I'm afraid that what little I've seen would be meaningless out of context. (IOW, I'm not sure I can offer my opinion without going into the mechanics of how they work.)

The lowly gnoll's getting some luv in the new edition? Nice.

I've always been a huge fan of gnolls. I like to think of 4E as the edition that finally caught up with me in realizing how cool they are. ;)

Remove ads