D&D 4E Mouseferatu weighs in on 4e

catsclaw227 said:
EDIT: Ari -- How do you think the Scarred Lands would look as a 4e gameworld?

You know, I've given some thought to that. (Not much, but a bit. I really hope WW decides to give it a shot, though I've heard nothing to suggest such a thing.)

It would require some tweaks, of course, as would any setting being ported over. But I think, in many respects, that SL is actually tailor made for 4E. Not only the mechanics but the "points of light" conceit are both pretty good fits.

Greg K

Legend
Mouseferatu said:
I like 4E, and I've tried to explain why I like it as much as I can, without violating my NDA. (If I could give more details, I would, believe me.)

I wish you could reveal more. I am interested in knowing if the 4e designers have reworked the core cleric so that there is more custoimization among clerics by domains as per your "The Priest of the Celestial Sphere" or are we basically stuck with clerics being more like 3e clerics.

helium3

First Post
Ari, dunno if this is a question you can't answer, but I'll ask on the off chance that you can.

My biggest concern is that the simplified system will ultimately result in encounters that after a while (say a couple of months of playing on a weekly basis) all start to pretty much seem the same. Should I not be so concerned about this?

helium3 said:
My biggest concern is that the simplified system will ultimately result in encounters that after a while (say a couple of months of playing on a weekly basis) all start to pretty much seem the same. Should I not be so concerned about this?

Obviously, I cannot discuss specific mechanics. But I can say that I'm finding 4E combat more exciting now than I found 3E combat at the start of 3rd edition. And I don't foresee it getting monotonous any time soon.

helium3

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Obviously, I cannot discuss specific mechanics. But I can say that I'm finding 4E combat more exciting now than I found 3E combat at the start of 3rd edition. And I don't foresee it getting monotonous any time soon.

Fair enough. :) I guess we'll just to play and see.

helium3 said:
Fair enough. :) I guess we'll just to play and see.

I will say that 4E's leaning toward multiple monsters per fight, rather than defaulting to "party vs. 1 or 2," is definitely a strength in this regard. It means that even if a few specific monsters did get to be old hat, the DM can still shake things up by changing the way he mixes and matches those critters. :)

A'koss

Explorer
We've been getting tidbits every now again suggesting that combat is going to be much more mobile (and not just moving around, but being *knocked* around too) and that there is more inter-party (and I assume inter-monster) combat synergy. It sounds like there is an additional emphasis on strategy and tactics in this edition. Lots of new combat options for the melee types, maybe some kind of Iron hero-y stunts t'boot. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

I had a thought about the MM though after seeing the new Pit Fiend, the mention that Orcus would in the manual and remembering the reference to the 1,000 HP Red Dragon in one of the early previews. One of my fears was that the various Demon & Devil Lords would still be underpowered for their lofty status, leaving us bewildered as to how they could hold their positions. Can you say one way or the other? Is it Orcus, Demon Lord or Dragon Chow? :lol:

Uh, I can't comment on the stats of Orcus, I fear. That'd be pushing the bounds a little too much, I think. ;) (I'll say he's no pushover, but that's all I'll say.)

A'koss

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Uh, I can't comment on the stats of Orcus, I fear. That'd be pushing the bounds a little too much, I think. ;) (I'll say he's no pushover, but that's all I'll say.)
No worries. :)

I wasn't looking for specifics btw (I knew you could never give them), just curious whether Demon Lords were solidly more powerful than regular (non-unique) monsters or will they still weak enough that they'd have to worry about a single ancient dragon one-on-one.

And as for the 1000 HP dragon reference, I pulled this from the original Des. & Dev. article...

It’s the fighter’s turn. He charges the dragon and manages to land a solid blow, dropping the dragon down below half its hit points. Oh—that gives the dragon the opportunity use its breath weapon as an immediate action. A huge cone of fire bursts from the dragon’s mouth, engulfing all four PCs. But at least the dragon is below 500 hit points!

Hmmm... I've never heard of anyone from WotC refuting the 1,000 HP dragon, but I certainly could have missed something. Reading this again, it could be that 500 HPs are it's maximum. The paragraph is poorly worded if this is the case...

Remove ads