D&D 4E Mouseferatu weighs in on 4e

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
From Ari Marmell's blog. I believe he's posted it here as well, but since I'm not sure where...

[bq]I've finally been told that it's okay to talk about my opinions in a little more detail.

As most of you already know, I've been both playtesting and working on 4E material. I can't say what, of course. But it does mean that I've had the rules for months now, and have been playing in an ongoing 4E campaign with a group of NDAed playtesters.

What I am about to offer are my true feelings. Anyone who feels like dismissing what I have to say because of any assumed bias is cordially invited to stop reading now.

When I first heard about 4E, I knew I'd have to learn the rules so I could keep working. But I was fully prepared to do so only for professional reasons, and keep playing 3.5 in my own campaigns.

That has, thankfully, turned out to be utterly unnecessary. I am absolutely in love with the 4E system, to the point where I'm not sure I would even be willing to play 3.5 again. Seriously; I like the system that much more.

The mechanics are more intuitive, the characters more mechanically interesting and--here's the big one--I haven't found D&D combat this exciting in years. I'm having a blast with this campaign.

Are there a few things I'd like to see done differently? I think that goes without saying. There's no such thing as a perfect system for anyone. But on a scale of 1 to 10, measuring to what extent I like and agree with all the changes, 4E easily rates an 8.5 to 9.

I'm sold--not just as a writer, but as a fan of the game who's been playing since 1983.[/bq]​

And from the comments:

[bq]You know, I've sort of--not completely, but in a way--put my finger on what I like so much.

It feels like they've managed to create a complete game that doesn't feel cluttered. In a way, it's a feeling I haven't had since the Red Box basic set.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that

A) 4E is as simple as Basic, or
B) That Basic didn't have a great many flaws and mechanical problems.

But I believe that Basic D&D did a good job of separating out what did and did not need hardwired mechanics. I don't need ranks in "tailor" on my character sheet, if that's never going to have a mechanical impact on gameplay.

I'm a huge believer in roleplaying. I don't want my D&D to be pure combat simulation. But I've also, after the mechanics glut of 3.5, come to realize that if something doesn't have a mechanical impact, it doesn't need to appear in the mechanics--and that doesn't make it any less real to the character. Roleplayers will roleplay because they want to; people who don't want to RP won't no matter what the rules say.

4E manages, IMO, to give you exactly the mechanics you need, without giving excessive mechanics to what you don't, in a way that no prior edition has managed.[/bq]​

This is a good sign. I value Ari's opinion.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
I don't like that line...IMHO.
Err... why not? Obviously you don't like something about it, but I can't see anything wrong at all with intuitive mechanics and interesting characters, so I really don't see what you mean...

Zamkaizer

First Post
This statement is significant, not only because they're from an excellent designer experienced in roleplaying games, but also because it's one of the first appraisals of the new system we've heard that's not from the developers themselves.

Edit: it also leaves me feeling extremely positive of 4E, or apprehensive about Ari's integrity. Kidding.

rounser

First Post
Never doubted that it'd be a class act mechanically. I just hope that the warforged hexblade wielding a spiked chain factor is minimised in the core, because WOTC's idea of cool is not always my own.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
PKitty said:
This is a good sign.
This is the most encouraging thing I've seen in months. Thanks for cross-posting this here.

...and thanks, Ari, for being courageous enough to tell us how you feel. You, sir, rock.

Agamon

Adventurer
jeffh said:
What's not to like about it?

Maybe he prefers a more complicated game with boring PC mechanics.

Hmmm, after writing that, maybe he doesn't like how contradictory it sounds. It is what WotC has said is one of their main goals for the game though.

TarionzCousin said:
...and thanks, Ari, for being courageous enough to tell us how you feel. You, sir, rock.

Well, I don't know if "courageous" is the word I'd use--it was actually pretty easy, since it (thankfully) turned out that I really liked the new game ;)--but you're quite welcome.

Remove ads