Move and charge? Possible?

Bayuer

First Post
I just wonder. To this moment i ruled that creature can move it's speed and then make a charge action. But i just wonder. What with duble move action? There is cleary said that this action can't be interrupted by any other. So what with move and charge?

Second question is about shift into dificult terrain when using two move action? Is this possible?

Tehnai

First Post
A charge is a standard action that makes you move up to your speed and attack. So yes, you could move up to your speed, then charge (effectively covering twice your speed, making a basic attack(so no powers) and grant combat advantage)

And no, you can't shift into difficult terrain unless you're an elf.

ki11erDM

Explorer
I have not seen anything that says you can't move and charge. In fact teleporting 25 feet and then charging the big bad guy works really wall : )

Balgus

First Post
I wouldnt allow it. Realistically, moving would take up the 6 seconds for that round. Then gathering up the momentum and speed to charge would take too much time.

In Game - The reason action and movement are broken up is for simplicity - because one uses upper body and the other uses lower body. A charge is attack while you run towards the target, which uses both upper and lower body. So allowing a move before the run doesnt make sense.

But I would let the person shift before charging bcause no one really runs in a straight line anyhow.

Psikonetic

First Post
Balgus said:
In Game - The reason action and movement are broken up is for simplicity - because one uses upper body and the other uses lower body. A charge is attack while you run towards the target, which uses both upper and lower body. So allowing a move before the run doesnt make sense.

To me it makes sense, I mean, you run up to a kobold and THEN thwack him with your sword. Yes you could be beginning to prep the sword swing during the move, but I for one would want my feet planted before I made a sword attack. So I don't think you're actually moving your upper body and lower body at the same time within the "6 second turn." I can't see why you can't begin to run some (your move action) then continue to run and stab the little bugger (the standard action Charge) and therefore I allow it in the game and have allowed it and it worked rather well, though it was a hammer not a sword and the kobold's head ended up splattered against the wall, good times...

Wormwood

Adventurer
Charging is just another Standard Action---therefore using a move action beforehand is completely kosher by both the spirit and the letter of the rules.

If you couldn't move beforehand, the Charge text would specify to that effect.

Charge away!

Zurai

First Post
Balgus said:
I wouldnt allow it. Realistically, moving would take up the 6 seconds for that round. Then gathering up the momentum and speed to charge would take too much time.

But I would let the person shift before charging bcause no one really runs in a straight line anyhow.
This makes some sense for humanoids, but what about nonhumanoids?

Horses don't have an upper body. They use their lower body both to move with and to attack with.

Beholders don't have a lower body. Their movement is purely magical and they use their upper body to attack with.

Rocs use their upper body to move with and their lower body to attack with.

Etc.

Thasmodious

First Post
A move action to move and a standard action to move and charge is the way it's intended. Let's you streak across the battlefield to kick some ass. Charge in 3e was a double move followed by an attack, this is the same thing converted to 4e's round mechanics.

Also, you can shift into and across difficult terrain, as long as you can pay the movement. You can't take the standard 5' shift into difficult terrain, because that requires 2 squares of movement, but if you can shift 2 squares, you can shift into 1 square of difficult terrain.

Ziana

First Post
Balgus said:

o_O

Have you read the section in the PHB on Double Moves, p284? Or substituting a Move Action for a Standard Action, p269?

A round is "about" 6 seconds. In that you can fit a standard, move, and minor action as separate events. Action points let you extend that to do more. There's flexibility built into the system, and moving full speed then charging full speed is a perfectly legitimate option.

Remove ads