• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movement vs. Entering - Interesting CustServ Response

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Response from CustServ:

Hi there Mark,

The Zone examples you point to are a different issue. The Storm Pillar is not a zone and does not create a zone around it. It does not have the same triggering limitation of "entering the zone."

We understand that you are pointing out that there are some unclear issues that crop up with this ruling, but this is the current ruling for the time being. If the DM wants to rule otherwise, they are free to do so. Until then we will not be able to debate this issue further. We will all have to wait for the official FAQ to clarify this issue to everyone's satisfaction. We have passed your concerns and points along to the appropriate teams for consideration. Thank you for your time and patience in this matter.

Take Care and Good Gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Sam
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 10am-4pm PST / 1pm-7pm EST

And for reference, the question I asked:

People are receiving both contradictory and fairly unworkable rules answers regarding variations on the question of when effects trigger based on a targets voluntary vs. involuntary movement.

For example, one person received this response:

"Response (Support Agent) 04/24/2009 11:07 AM
Hi there XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast game support! Please allow me to clarify how this works.

When a character "moves" into an area, it implies action (like a move action would) and refers to intentional movement.

When a character "enters" an area, this refers to entering an area by any means, including forced movement.

Forced movement does not trigger the Storm Pillar. We intend to provide an FAQ for this in the future.

And another clarification, the Storm Pillar's damage is not limited to once per round. A character moving through multiple adjacent squares will be damaged multiple times. If the terrain and positioning allow it, you can potentially trap an opponent so that in order to move where they want, they'd have to pass through 2 or 3 squares adjacent to the Storm Pillar. He would take damage each time. Heck, if you had two Storm Pillars near each other, a character entering a square that is adjacent to each of them gets damaged by each one.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

Sam
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Another person received this response:

"I decided to send an email to Customer Service and basically asked, if a zone moves over a character do they take damage. In other words, is that part of their definition of "entering" a zone. Here is the response":

XXXXX,

Thank you for writing.

Since they did not enter it, they would not take the damage. However if the zone was still there at the start of their next turn they would take damage.

Good Gaming!

Paul
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Those answers are contradictory.

However, worse, they are also not very workable with other powers. As follows...

Example 1: Grease (Arcane Powers book)
Grease
Daily * Arcane, Implement, Zone
Standard Action
Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Effect: The burst creates a zone of slick grease that covers all horizontal surfaces until the end of the encounter. The zone is difficult terrain. You can make the following attack, using a square within the zone as the origin square.
Free Action
Close burst 1
Trigger: A creature enters the zone
Target: The triggering creature in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: You knock the target prone.
Miss: You slide the target 2 squares.

Given the Customer Service response, Grease is now an automatic prone. On a miss, the wizard can slide the creature out of the zone and back in the zone for another attack, and keep doing this on a miss as a free action until he or she hits. Worse, now the Wizard might WANT to miss a couple of times first, to make the target expend some more of their movement before they are knocked prone.

That's because the spell text says the trigger is a creature enters the zone, instead of saying moves into the zone.

Example 2: Polearm Gamble (PHB feat)

The language on Polearm Gamble uses the phrase, 'When a non-adjacent enemy enters a square adjacent to you...'.

Under Opportunity Actions in the PHB (p290), it states two (distinct and separate) conditions under which an enemy provokes an OA: "Moving Provokes" (this condition excludes forced movement) and "Ranged and Area Powers Provoke". Polearm Gamble adds another condition which also provokes an attack - entering an adjacent square. By my reading, based on the Customer Service response, this doesn't fall under the rules of the "Moving Provokes" condition as it's yet another separate and distinct condition, and now due to the "Entering" Customer Service response, we have Polearm Gamble triggering based on forced movement.

There are other powers and issues with this "Entering" vs. "Moving" language from Customer Service. It's not a good answer, does not appear to have been thought through that way at the time the rules were written, and the answer is just going to result in far more confusion and problems than it solved.

It would seem these things either need their own keyword, or some sort of flat ruling in the FAQ that makes more sense.

Sincerely,

Mark
Van Nuys, CA

Markn

First Post
Forced Movement - Individual squares or total movement

So after reading Mistwell's message, particularly about the Grease section, does it not make more sense to view Forced Movement as a whole as opposed to what effects are triggered in each square?

For example, with Grease, if you miss and you look at each square of Forced Movement, then the person is slid out of the zone, then back in and it does indeed create a new trigger for the Grease spell creating a loop that happens until a successful hit.

However, in the same example, if you look at Forced Movement as a whole, the person starts in the zone, ends in the zone and therefore does not trigger the attack again (even though he temporarily came out but since we don't look at individual squares of movement it is like he never left).

Essentially, it becomes the starting position and the end position of Forced Movement to see if effects/spells are triggered.

Doesn't that seem like a simpler way of looking at Forced Movement and really, resolves the issues with almost every spell out there that I can think of.

Is there something I am missing regarding Forced Movement? This is how our group has gamed for a while and it seems to work very well.

Markn

First Post
Well, if I push someone 4 squares north and there is a pit 2 squares north, that particular intervening square becomes kind of important.

True, but if you try to move him over the pit, the creature/person makes a save and ends his movement in the square prone next to the pit at which point you are done moving him thus making that square his destination square.

Edit: Pg 284 and 285 talk about Catching yourself and how movement ends if you make your save. Thus, that becomes the destination square.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I followed up asking if they could at least clarify on Grease and Polearm Gamble, and got this reply:

I understand that the answer I gave does affect some powers and abilities that use the terms "move" and "enter". But until the rules team addresses this officially in an FAQ or update, the move/enter rule I provided stands. 4E encourages the DM (and even RPGA DMs) to alter the rules if the balance is not right for their game. The rules are not a straightjacket, and are not encouraged to be treated as so.

This issue has been brought to the attention to the rules team and we hope to see an update or FAQ on this issue soon. I know you just want to make the game better, and we appreciate that. Thank you very much for your diligence and patience in this matter.

Sam
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

So, right now, Grease can be better if you miss, and you can just move the target out and back in the zone until you hit.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I haven't thought about it too hard, but I'd consider making a hit with Grease "slide 2 squares AND knock prone". Or a two-step attack (possibly with a hit bonus): first hit slides and allows a secondary attack which knocks prone. That way it's possible to get through the grease without any effect, but not easy.

Also, as DM I would make any crawling creature immune to Grease, or at least give it a large bonus to defense. (I wouldn't bother writing that up in the power, I'd just rule that o nthe spot.)

Emil

First Post
in regards to Grease, I would rule (in my game) that the slide would have to be in the direction that the target was already moving.

Basically saying that if the attack hits, the target slips and falls, but if the attack misses, the target slides across the grease in whatever direction his momentum was carrying him.

satori01

First Post
The distinction between "Entering" and "Moving" seems arbitrary, especially given the piece meal way in which powers are written. As a DM, from a "fun" perspective, I would allow the damage from Storm Pillar to work on a force move, after all this going to take the cooperation of two people, or one Wizard using an Action point.

Was that not a critique of 3E that too many "keywords" had implied rules, that bogged down play? Was not 4e to allow for streamlined play, and more "Action"?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads