D&D General Movie plots for your D&D game

In high school I ran a game inspired by What Dreams May Come. Once of the PCs girlfriend committed suicide. Her soul decided she deserved to die for violating the natural word of the cosmos and could not be resurrected by normal means, so the PCs had to venture into the depths of Hell to rescue her.

The megadungeon in my current campaign is heavily inspired by Castle in the Sky. The castle is a flying fortress, once home to a powerful king who used its destructive magic to subjugate the continent.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
So I am wondering how a combat inspired by the book ice station (Reilly not Zebra) would work out. Feels like it could be really good fun (albeit hard work from a DM'ing point of view).

jasper

Rotten DM
I did a mash up of Halloween, teen slasher films, evil proms, and haunted houses once in 3E. Anyone gaming with kids I recommend stealing from Jackie Chan Adventures.

Oofta

Legend
Does Scooby-Doo count? Someone hired an illusionist to make a monster so that they could distract everyone while they set up a robbery. Not a movie but I recently did a Sherlock Holmes Red Headed League arc where the rogues guild wanted to break into a heavily fortified vault but had to get the guy that lived adjacent out. They created an exclusive club that he had been invited to.

Then there's The Thing. A shapeshifting monster that can assume identities of others. Unfortunately the monster can only assume an identity for so long before it needs to switch forms.

I keep thinking I want to run something based on old Godzilla movies, but that would have to involve the PCs also gaining powers of a kaiju temporarily. Maybe something along the lines of Cloverfield where they kaiju is destroying everything in it's patch and the PCs need to fight their way through smaller monsters that it's shedding. Eventually getting to a mecha-kaiju that they have to operate. :unsure:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Does Scooby-Doo count? Someone hired an illusionist to make a monster so that they could distract everyone while they set up a robbery. Not a movie but I recently did a Sherlock Holmes Red Headed League arc where the rogues guild wanted to break into a heavily fortified vault but had to get the guy that lived adjacent out. They created an exclusive club that he had been invited to.

Then there's The Thing. A shapeshifting monster that can assume identities of others. Unfortunately the monster can only assume an identity for so long before it needs to switch forms.

I keep thinking I want to run something based on old Godzilla movies, but that would have to involve the PCs also gaining powers of a kaiju temporarily. Maybe something along the lines of Cloverfield where they kaiju is destroying everything in it's patch and the PCs need to fight their way through smaller monsters that it's shedding. Eventually getting to a mecha-kaiju that they have to operate. :unsure:
Scooby-Doo is probably essential at some point!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I (ahem) borrow liberally from all kinds of sources- movies, TV, books, comics, music, art, etc. Can’t remember any I’ve used specifically for D&D.

But I will say that I have found James Bond stories are remarkably re-skinnable. I took The Man With The Golden Gun and used it as the core of a big adventure in a Supers game set in 1900. It could just as easily have been set in a high-fantasy campaign.

That same campaign, I adapted material from The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr, Kung Fu, Moorcock’s Bastable novels, HG Wells, Jules Verne, the early years of Marvel Comics’ Namor the Sub-Mariner character, and so much more.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
the early years of Marvel Comics’ Namor the Sub-Mariner character, and so much more.
Comics. Great Idea! I must have thousands of Superhero plots just begging to be reread. Time methinks to ascend into the dark, (haven't changed the lightbulb) haunted (by pigeons) treasure loft.

Remove ads