Movie trailers that spoiled the movie

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The Terminator Genisys thread prompted this thought.

What movies had (or seemed to have) important or shocking items spoiled by their trailer? Was your viewing of the movie affected in any way by knowing the spoiler? How do you think you would have reacted differently if the moment hadn't been spoiled?

Would you go see a movie that had only a very minimalist trailer? What would you think of a movie that didn't show a whole lot in the trailer?

Bullgrit

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Would you go see a movie that had only a very minimalist trailer? What would you think of a movie that didn't show a whole lot in the trailer?

Often enough, I go to see a movie without having seen any trailer for it at all. A minimalist trailer would be a non-issue for me.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
One of the trailers for The Bone Collector spoiled the movie.
[sblock]The trailer did not show the villain, but it played some of his dialog. The actor playing the villain (Leland Orser) has a very distinctive voice.[/sblock]

MechaPilot

Explorer
It isn't a trailer, but I recall reading the entry for the film Needful Things in a TVGuide about 10 years ago.

The entry said the following:
[sblock]The devil opens up a curio shop in a sleepy coastal town[/sblock]

Now, that spoiler did hook me to watch the film, and I didn't feel that it actually spoiled anything as far as my experience watching the film went. But it was a significant reveal taken from the last few minutes of the film.

Abraxas

Explorer
It's funny you started this with Terminator Genisys - cause the Terminator 2: Judgment Day trailer had a huge spoiler in it that I found to have a major effect on my enjoyment of the film.

T2's trailer was really egregious.

What is even worse is when the movie itself spoils itself. Dark City was an otherwise great movie, but the studio forced an opening narration into it that ruined the mystery of over half the film. My friends and I were insanely lucky as we were just late enough when we went to see the movie to miss that part! I heard the director's cut solves that problem as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads