Movies that need a reboot

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I know what you are talking about... Loved that series as a kid. The only similarity between the Dark is Rising and Harry Potter was the lead character being 12.

Well, even so, that's at least part of the reason the movie was so bad. See here: Author Uncertain About 'Dark' Leap to Big Screen : NPR

Linked Story said:
Not Harry Potter

And even when he approached the book 10 years later, Hodge found many problems. First of all, he thought, even though the book was written more than 30 years ago, the premise of an 11-year-old English boy who finds out he can do magic seemed too familiar.

"One of the things I didn't want it to be confused with was Harry Potter, because I just think the world doesn't need another English boy involved with fantasy adventures," he says.

It is cool to know Susan Cooper lives so close to where I am. I hadn't realized that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Howabout Earthsea? Yeah, I know it was a miniseries, but what else is a miniseries but a movie that didn't get a whole bunch of editing?;)

I'm not sure I can believe I'm saying this... but the film series I think should be rebooted is STAR WARS.

Seriously. It was almost criminal the way the entire series was... betrayed by the prequels. I really think I would enjoy seeing the whole thing started over again - this time from "Episode I", but perhaps leaving out all the abysmal crap that it was saddled with and getting to the core excitement and treasure trove of potential that the overall story actually has.

It'll never happen, but it's just something that hit me suddenly just now. What do you think? Should we just leave bad enough alone? Could it be revived with, say, a single origin-story followed by films that take the entire SW universe in new and interesting directions?
Unfortunately, I'd rather create a list of things to do with a Star Wars "Re-Imagination" then think of other movies deserving a reboot.

In fact, the thing that most deserves a reboot that comes to my mind is not a movie but a series - Space Patrol Orion or Raumpatrouille Orion - the German equivalent of Star Trek/Doctor Who that could have been. ;)

Startrek already got its reboot. The jury is overall still out if the reboot as a whole will work, but at least I enjoyed the last flick. ;)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Needs" is such a specific word.

In terms of the fiction - no work ever "needs" a reboot/reimagining/remake.

In terms of commerce - I suppose a movie "needs" a remake when someone owning the rights thinks that such is required to keep interest in the property high enough to keep it in print/available or turning some defined level of profit.

Thus - it could be said that Star Trek rather needed the reboot - as a business, it wasn't doing what the owners wanted it to.

And also thus - Star Wars really doesn't need it. The original films have their fans. The prequels have their fans (believe it or not :p). The animated stuff goes apace. There's no real sign that the thing is dying as a business, so no reboot is called for at this time.

Remove ads