Movies that need a reboot

ssampier

First Post
Indiana Jones

I'm jonesing for Jones style action, but Harrison Ford is much too old.

Indiana Jones should be a film series, much like James Bond.

Star Wars

I'd rather I just pretend the other three films did not exist*. I would be willing to watch a new movie set in the KOTOR universe, however.

*I liked RotJ, damnit, ewoks and all.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
...Legend (or maybe a sequel with Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, and Tim Curry reprising their roles:p)

I'd settle for seeing the wonderful original UK theatrical release - about half an hour longer than the horrible hacked version shown in the USA and ever after.

The original was fab.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!

Kaodi

Hero
I think we need a ReBoot, ;) .

Joking aside, I am sceptical of the professed need to reboot certain franchises. Neither Star Wars nor Indiana Jones need rebooting, though they could benefit from new films in the series.

I am not sure how to articulate this properly, so let me be very vague (and get away with it): the motives for remaking movies are many and varied, but they are demanding. A poorly motivated remake is a doomed venture.

Wizard of Oz, for instance, is a classic. Part of me would very much say, "Hands off!" However, as an artistic venture, it does have a certain amount of appeal. Art will probably more often than not be a sound reason for remaking something, though it becomes more perilous if the reason is that the original is perceived as "flawed" art.

If this is missing the mark somewhat, perhaps I could offer dramatic and emotional impact instead. When one says, "Let us remake The Wizard of Oz!" one should probably be concerned foremost not with art direction, or even acting, but with those touches that will make the original theme of the movie resonate more with modern audiences. To do that without changing main content or style requires subtlety and a deft touch.

Dioltach

Legend
I'd love to see a proper series of movies of The Chronicles of Prydain. The Disney version was almost as bad as the Earthsea miniseries.

Remove ads