Movies that need a reboot

I'm not sure I can believe I'm saying this... but the film series I think should be rebooted is STAR WARS.

Seriously. It was almost criminal the way the entire series was... betrayed by the prequels. I really think I would enjoy seeing the whole thing started over again - this time from "Episode I", but perhaps leaving out all the abysmal crap that it was saddled with and getting to the core excitement and treasure trove of potential that the overall story actually has.

It'll never happen, but it's just something that hit me suddenly just now. What do you think? Should we just leave bad enough alone? Could it be revived with, say, a single origin-story followed by films that take the entire SW universe in new and interesting directions?

Joker

First Post
If Star Wars were to be rebooted I would like to see it done by someone who likes the story but isn't very involved in the product, fanwise, and who has more or less free reign to what he/she wants creatively. Must also be a skilled filmmaker.

Or I would like to see a collection of short films done by different filmmakers set within the Star Wars universe ala Animatrix.

Basically, I don't want Lucas to do more than provide a studio and the loot.

Basically, I don't want Lucas to do more than provide a studio and the loot.
Yeah, that would sorta be the whole idea. The original film was brilliant and will stand on its own merits forever aside from Lucas' later revisionism [Han shot first dangit!]. Empire was wonderfully darker in tone but very much just an episode in an ongoing serial at that point. Jedi, though weighed down by all the baggage inherent in Ewoks, still had the core of an adequate sequel, and even a moment or two of greatness. The prequels, however, simply lacked any and all of the vibrancy of the original trilogy. Effects naturally improved but acting, character development and even basic plotting all suffered HORRIBLY so the series as a whole just marched steadily downhill. Whatever exciting or interesting elements they had were lost in the expensive mediocrity of the rest of the film.

I think maybe Lucas was just trying too hard to recapture that lightning in a bottle and had nobody to tell him to his face that his ongoing story just wasn't compelling anymore.

Way back, not long after the first movie was released and talk started to turn to sequel plans I remember reading an interview where Lucas was quoted as saying something like, "I just put up the basic castle walls, now I'm going to let everyone else have fun putting up the gargoyles and stuff." I would be interested to see that actually happen because I think others can actually do better with it than he did beyond the original.

My vote would be for Joss Whedon.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie. Duh!

Actually the movie franchise I would like to see rebooted is Terminator. The original is a classic, and T2 was great, but the additional movies were pretty bad and I think ruined the franchise. The Sarah Connor Chronicles had the potential to help things out, but it never had a chance to complete its story.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The Dark is Rising book series deserves far, far better than the godawful movie The Seeker. Supposedly they deviated heavily from the book because they were afraid stupid little Harry Potter fans would actually accuse a book series from the 1970s of ripping it off!

In any case, I loved The Dark is Rising, and it saddens me to know it will probably never again get another shot at a movie.

It also saddens me that probably not a single person who reads this will know what I'm talking about.

carrot

Explorer
The Dark is Rising book series deserves far, far better than the godawful movie The Seeker. Supposedly they deviated heavily from the book because they were afraid stupid little Harry Potter fans would actually accuse a book series from the 1970s of ripping it off!

In any case, I loved The Dark is Rising, and it saddens me to know it will probably never again get another shot at a movie.

It also saddens me that probably not a single person who reads this will know what I'm talking about.

I know what you are talking about... Loved that series as a kid. The only similarity between the Dark is Rising and Harry Potter was the lead character being 12.

Remove ads