Movies you liked, eventually.

Lots of movies get better with a second watching. But have you even straight up disliked a movie the first time you saw it, then came to enjoy it later?

One example I can give is The Whole Nine Yards. It's a quirky comedy. The first time I saw it was in a party atmosphere, where I can only assume someone thought it would be like a Mel Brooks movie that gets funnier the more people watch it. I thought it was terrible. But I caught it again later and realized how many of the subtler jokes I had missed the first time around. Turns out it's a pretty good movie. Funny, just not "group of teenagers" funny.

Another one is 12 Monkeys. I had previously gotten ahold of a copy of La Jette (way back before the Criterion Collection version existed and it was hard to find) and loved it. So I was stoked to see this. On the first watching, it was such a radical shift from the source material that I couldn't enjoy it. Brad Pitt's character in particular really turned me off. But after waiting a few years and seeing more of Gilliam's other stuff, I gave it another chance. The second time around I loved it for what it was.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Lots of movies get better with a second watching. But have you even straight up disliked a movie the first time you saw it, then came to enjoy it later?

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Well, I rarely watch things a second time, and almost never if the first time was a bust. Life is too short, and all that.

However, a few examples that quickly spring to mind-

1. Bojack Horseman- watched the first episode, wasn't into it. Tried again a while later and it is one of my favorite shows.

2. The Leftovers; I think I made it through 2 or 3 episodes and had to stop. It was punishing. But I went back to it later and it was so worth it. It is one of the best things I have ever seen.

3. Eyes Wide Shut. I'm a huge Kubrick fan. First time I saw this in the theaters, I ... disappointed? I guess? I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. I didn't grok it, I didn't like it. But it's really grown on me,

4. Barton Fink. Saw this after Raising Arizona. Didn't like. Now, it's my favorite Coen Brothers movie.

Gradine

Archivist
Scream. The first time I watched it I didn't grok that I wasn't supposed to taking any of it seriously.

I kind of feel the same way about Jupiter Ascending, honestly.

Well, I rarely watch things a second time, and almost never if the first time was a bust. Life is too short, and all that.
I find I have a lot less repeat viewings now that almost all my content is streaming rather than cable. I used to re-watch a lot of stuff simply because I was working on my computer and the TV was on in the background. Nowadays, the background noise is a new series or Youtube channel, and a lot of what I was tied to the computer for is now on a phone and not tied to the TV room. Knowing what to give a second chance is the motivation for this thread :)

I kind of feel the same way about Jupiter Ascending, honestly.
Ahh, Jupiter Ascending. One of the great examples of a "beautiful disaster", along with Hellboy II and Lair on the PS3.

The Last Jedi. I walked out of the theater rather underwhelmed, but felt better about it--if still a bit lukewarm (pun intended)--upon a second viewing.

Inception. I liked it the first time I saw it, but thought it was overrated--even that sort of "mindbender" is my bread and butter. I loved it after a second viewing.

Legatus_Legionis

< BLAH HA Ha ha >
The Phantom Manence.

It took the fan theory that Jar Jar was actually a Sith, and re-watching it with that reference made the film better.

And the fact the Pod race sound volume is better on DVD than in the theater (where it was way too loud.)

GreyLord

Adventurer
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...

I didn't really care for the Movie adaption the first time I saw it (or the second or the third). There was a time though that it seemed to be on almost every time I turned on the TV. Eventually, something clicked and I now absolutely love it on it's own. There's a charm to the movie (And Sean Connery) that make it pretty awesome as a movie (if you put it separately from the comic).

Gladius Legis

Adventurer
Jackie Brown. I guess I was expecting something more like Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it, which means I was clearly expecting the wrong thing. Now I consider it easily among the best Quentin Tarantino has done, and rank it higher than Pulp Fiction.

Raunalyn

Adventurer
Mulholland Drive. I watched it the first time and really had a hard time digesting it. But upon a second viewing a few months later, I began picking up the little subtleties and started to really enjoy it.

Celebrim

Legend
I can only think of one example, and that's 'Monty Python's and the Holy Grail'. I was completely bored with the movie the first time it was introduced to me, and couldn't fathom what anyone saw in it. But, after forcible repeat viewings I can to love Big Brother, and I can now recite scenes and quote it like a good nerd.

But for the most part if I hate the first time, I'll continue to hate it and the more usual experience is liking a movie and then finding that it can't hold up to repeat viewings.

Rocky Horror Picture Show springs to mind. First saw it as a young teenager and thought "what the heck is this thing?!" But a few more viewings and I came to love the movie.
I can only think of one example, and that's 'Monty Python's and the Holy Grail'. I was completely bored with the movie the first time it was introduced to me, and couldn't fathom what anyone saw in it.
I think both of these movies are supposed to be confusing the first time around. I distinctly remember worrying that my VCR was broken the first time I saw the end of Holy Grail.

EDIT: Mulholland Drive (as mentioned by Raunalyn) belongs on the "intentionally confusing" list as well.

Nebulous

Adventurer
Jackie Brown. I guess I was expecting something more like Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it, which means I was clearly expecting the wrong thing. Now I consider it easily among the best Quentin Tarantino has done, and rank it higher than Pulp Fiction.
As the follow up to Pulp Fiction, I hated this movie first time I saw it. Years later, viewing it again I really appreciated what a well crafted movie it was, just not in the same vein as PF. I still like Pulp better (and several other ones) but Jackie Brown is a great movie.

Ralif Redhammer

Adventurer
Conan the Barbarian is the opera of action movies. The Basil Poledouris score is just amazing, and carries so much of the emotion of the film.

Conan the Barbarian. It was so devoid of dialogue that I thought it was kind of boring. Then I learned more about the soundtrack and how it was intended to carry much more of the drama. It made a lot more sense after I knew that.

Advertisement