Movies you liked, eventually.

Lots of movies get better with a second watching. But have you even straight up disliked a movie the first time you saw it, then came to enjoy it later?

One example I can give is The Whole Nine Yards. It's a quirky comedy. The first time I saw it was in a party atmosphere, where I can only assume someone thought it would be like a Mel Brooks movie that gets funnier the more people watch it. I thought it was terrible. But I caught it again later and realized how many of the subtler jokes I had missed the first time around. Turns out it's a pretty good movie. Funny, just not "group of teenagers" funny.

Another one is 12 Monkeys. I had previously gotten ahold of a copy of La Jette (way back before the Criterion Collection version existed and it was hard to find) and loved it. So I was stoked to see this. On the first watching, it was such a radical shift from the source material that I couldn't enjoy it. Brad Pitt's character in particular really turned me off. But after waiting a few years and seeing more of Gilliam's other stuff, I gave it another chance. The second time around I loved it for what it was.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Scream. The first time I watched it I didn't grok that I wasn't supposed to taking any of it seriously.

I kind of feel the same way about Jupiter Ascending, honestly.

Well, I rarely watch things a second time, and almost never if the first time was a bust. Life is too short, and all that.

I find I have a lot less repeat viewings now that almost all my content is streaming rather than cable. I used to re-watch a lot of stuff simply because I was working on my computer and the TV was on in the background. Nowadays, the background noise is a new series or Youtube channel, and a lot of what I was tied to the computer for is now on a phone and not tied to the TV room. Knowing what to give a second chance is the motivation for this thread :)

I kind of feel the same way about Jupiter Ascending, honestly.

Ahh, Jupiter Ascending. One of the great examples of a "beautiful disaster", along with Hellboy II and Lair on the PS3.

Mercurius

Legend
The Last Jedi. I walked out of the theater rather underwhelmed, but felt better about it--if still a bit lukewarm (pun intended)--upon a second viewing.

Inception. I liked it the first time I saw it, but thought it was overrated--even that sort of "mindbender" is my bread and butter. I loved it after a second viewing.

GreyLord

Legend
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...

I didn't really care for the Movie adaption the first time I saw it (or the second or the third). There was a time though that it seemed to be on almost every time I turned on the TV. Eventually, something clicked and I now absolutely love it on it's own. There's a charm to the movie (And Sean Connery) that make it pretty awesome as a movie (if you put it separately from the comic).

Jackie Brown. I guess I was expecting something more like Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it, which means I was clearly expecting the wrong thing. Now I consider it easily among the best Quentin Tarantino has done, and rank it higher than Pulp Fiction.

Remove ads