Movies you liked, eventually.

Mulholland Drive. I watched it the first time and really had a hard time digesting it. But upon a second viewing a few months later, I began picking up the little subtleties and started to really enjoy it.

Celebrim

Legend
I can only think of one example, and that's 'Monty Python's and the Holy Grail'. I was completely bored with the movie the first time it was introduced to me, and couldn't fathom what anyone saw in it. But, after forcible repeat viewings I can to love Big Brother, and I can now recite scenes and quote it like a good nerd.

But for the most part if I hate the first time, I'll continue to hate it and the more usual experience is liking a movie and then finding that it can't hold up to repeat viewings.

Rocky Horror Picture Show springs to mind. First saw it as a young teenager and thought "what the heck is this thing?!" But a few more viewings and I came to love the movie.
I can only think of one example, and that's 'Monty Python's and the Holy Grail'. I was completely bored with the movie the first time it was introduced to me, and couldn't fathom what anyone saw in it.

I think both of these movies are supposed to be confusing the first time around. I distinctly remember worrying that my VCR was broken the first time I saw the end of Holy Grail.

EDIT: Mulholland Drive (as mentioned by Raunalyn) belongs on the "intentionally confusing" list as well.

Nebulous

Legend
Jackie Brown. I guess I was expecting something more like Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it, which means I was clearly expecting the wrong thing. Now I consider it easily among the best Quentin Tarantino has done, and rank it higher than Pulp Fiction.
As the follow up to Pulp Fiction, I hated this movie first time I saw it. Years later, viewing it again I really appreciated what a well crafted movie it was, just not in the same vein as PF. I still like Pulp better (and several other ones) but Jackie Brown is a great movie.

Conan the Barbarian is the opera of action movies. The Basil Poledouris score is just amazing, and carries so much of the emotion of the film.

Conan the Barbarian. It was so devoid of dialogue that I thought it was kind of boring. Then I learned more about the soundtrack and how it was intended to carry much more of the drama. It made a lot more sense after I knew that.

Remove ads