Moving a grabbed creature

Otterscrubber

First Post
I see the rules for moving while you have a creature grabbed and it seems to dictate you can move half your speed and pull the target with you if you succeed on a Str vs. Fort check. What if I don't want to move, I just want to move the creature I have grabbed to another square adjacent to me? Or perhaps move a few squares, and move the creature i have grabbed to another square adjacent to me?

Otterscrubber

First Post
I would agree, was just wondering if there was anything in writing on the topic. That sounds like a perfectly reasonable house rule to me in the absence of anything more official.

Squire James

First Post
My general rule on moving grabbed targets is that, if they succeed on the check required to do the move, the grabber gets to move himself and/or the target up to half his speed (and be able to maintain the grab only if they're still in reach).

Azarin

First Post
This just happened in a game this week. One player wanted to grab an unconcious player from a mezzodemon's grab. The player rolls a strength attack against the unconcious player's reflex( -5 def) and is sucessful. The mezzodemon is trying to run off with the unconcious PC, while the other player trys to stop it. I tried to find a rule for this, but no luck. What would you do?

MarkB

Legend
This just happened in a game this week. One player wanted to grab an unconcious player from a mezzodemon's grab. The player rolls a strength attack against the unconcious player's reflex( -5 def) and is sucessful. The mezzodemon is trying to run off with the unconcious PC, while the other player trys to stop it. I tried to find a rule for this, but no luck. What would you do?

Let the player grab the demon instead. If the demon's grabbed, it can't run off until it escapes.

Ferghis

First Post
I'd do the initial grab roll against the ally's defenses, but I'd force an athletics roll against the enemy's fort to move the ally.

Azarin

First Post
What if you want to grab the character out of the mezzodemon's grasp? Would you suggest a strength check against its Fort or Reflex? Or would you suggest opposed strength checks?

firesnakearies

Explorer
I'd do opposed Strength checks. But I'd make the grabbing PC attack versus the Mezzodemon's Reflex to grab his buddy, because the demon is presumably attempting to avoid letting him grab the target.

Ferghis

First Post
I'd do opposed Strength checks. But I'd make the grabbing PC attack versus the Mezzodemon's Reflex to grab his buddy, because the demon is presumably attempting to avoid letting him grab the target.
I still think it should be easier to grab a grabbed body than to grab the grabber, if you know what I mean. I'm not wholly opposed to resolving it against the Mezzodemon's defenses, but I'd make it a tad easier. I wish there were load penalties to defenses. Maybe I'd draw inspiration from those of prior editions.

Remove ads