• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

knith

First Post
@knith: This is an error somebody else contacted me with via email. Unfortunately we never resolved it as I wasn't able to recreate the problem, and he stopped responding to my email. He only had problems on one PC, while others worked fine. He thought the problem might be related to the fact that he had very high resolution display and set his Windows 8.1 to 250% font size. However, when I did that with my Windows 7, I had no issues. The problem arises from the fact that the rows are set to auto-height and MS Excel somehow thinks the font has less height. I'm unsure what might cause this and the web unfortunately holds no answers that I could find.

@morepurplemorebetter:That was it. My laptop does have a 4K display. Borrowed a pal's laptop and it worked just fine. Just amazing! Thanks again!

Telgar

Villager
@Telgar: You should be able to select the subclasses at the field "Class Path" on the "Input" tab. Only once you select a class that has any subclasses that give spells are there any class paths displayed. After you selected "Cleric" from the "Class" drop-down box, do you see the text "Class Path" with a drop-down box with a list of domains after it?

The "Add Subclass" tab is just for adding custom, homemade subclasses.

I don't see any Class Path selection choice in the Input tab:
Spellcasting Class 1:
Class: Cleric
Class Level: 4
Wisdom score: 18

(...)My laptop does have a 4K display.(...)
@knith: Now I'm interested to find out what might be different about Excel used on a 4K monitor and a lower resolution one that causes this strange error. Do you run Excel at higher magnification (i.e. zoomed in)? If so, at what magnification? What OS do you run? Does the OS resize any of the fonts for your high resolution monitor?

I don't see any Class Path selection choice in the Input tab:
Spellcasting Class 1:
Class: Cleric
Class Level: 4
Wisdom score: 18
@Telgar: That is really strange, this is how it should look. What version of Excel do you run? Do you have macro's disabled by any chance?

Telgar

Villager
@Telgar: That is really strange, this is how it should look. What version of Excel do you run? Do you have macro's disabled by any chance?

No Class Path line. Macros are (manually) activated, Excel version is 2007sp3.
Some macros seems to be operating ok : ability score switch to wisdom score, cantrips known appear, spell sheet generation is ok... Only the class path seems to be missing (even when selecting other classes)

@Telgar: I'm sorry to say that it is likely your Excel version. I use some formulas/features that have been introduced with Excel 2010, and Excel 2007 is unfortunately too old for the full functionality of this sheet. However, I wouldn't expect this part of the Excel to not work with 2007, so maybe something else is going on here. This doesn't change the bottom line, that this sheet is only supported for Excel 2010 and later (as is written on the download page). Sorry!

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
Xykon's yarbles! You're great, man! MPMB, you da' real MVP!

When about the only complaints that anyone can make about things are English errors (e.g. "Me and my companions" should be "My companions and I" in the acolyte and sailor descriptions. You typoed "me" as "mw" in noble, after "people of high birth treat." There should be a comma after "(inn/tavern/circus/etc.)" in entertainer and after "(arena/pit fight)" in gladiator. "Bone dice of playing cards" should be "Bone dice or playing cards" in soldier's gear.), you know that you're doing well.

Speaking of backgrounds, I have some nitpicks (and one bug report) about backgrounds that you may want to look at:
"Pray book (or wheel)", in acolyte, should probably read "Prayer book/wheel". Minor, but clearer.
"Holy symbol" could have "(Type)" listed afterward to remind new acolytes to decide on an amulet, emblem, or reliquary. Bonus points if the weight field auto-updates to go blank if they choose an emblem.
Vestments (acolyte) are a single item. They are a single set of clerical garb, referred to in plural form in the same manner in which we refer to "pants." Also, where do you get the weight? I just assumed that they were a variant of "Clothes, fine", so I had assigned 6lbs to them, before, which is pretty realistic for usually big, multi-layered robes.
"Inexpensive unusual weapon of your choice", in gladiator, aside from needing a comma between the adjectives, could also use a "/musical instrument" after "weapon", if it is intended to be optional. Do we have word on whether it's intended to be optional or not?
Since you have guild merchant as a separate item, shouldn't the guild business selections be separated?
For the guild merchant, perhaps it should just have something like, uh, "Variable proficiency (see pg133)" in the proficiencies list. As it is, it brings up artisan's tools, navigator's tools, and a second bonus language, when you're supposed to pick one of the three.
Oh! Scratch part of that. It's not turning up the artisan's tools. When switching between guild artisan and guild merchant, bonus languages and proficiencies do not go away. They work fine when switching to or from anything else, but not from artisan to merchant or vice versa. Oh, and the same thing happens for languages between noble and knight. Bug report!

Another suggestion of handiness: Perhaps, when one enters equipment via the new button (Nice addition, by the way.), background equipment can go to the last lines on the right. I didn't mind entering them manually in the first place, but, if we're gonna' have a button to enter them, putting them in a designated location that is away from our other starting gear seems to be convenient. Just my two copper, that is.

You know, I thought of gladiators as their own entertainment routine. Are they actually supposed to be a separate background with an entertainment routine still to be selected? I mean, nothing against multi-talented folks, but I don't think that it fits the intended format. Maybe that ought to be switched in, the same as "Spy" is a criminal specialty.

By the by, when auto-adding weapons to the equipment list, the function does not recognize "x2" for quantity, which is pretty relevant to dagger- and handaxe-users. Would that also be feasible to add in?

Totally inconsequential, but, if we accidentally set an ability score for DC calculations on Limited Features, could we have the ability to set it back to blank, like we can with other fields?

That's all that I can think of, for now. Keep being awesome at doing things and stuff!

@Telgar: Great that you got it working!

@Noah Ivaldi: Thank you for looking at all these things so closely! It is a lot of work to transcribe all the PHB things into javascript and errors will be made unfortunately (especially because English isn't my first language).

Great catch on the background removal not working with the variant backgrounds! It will be fixed in the new version.

I will make all your suggested textual improvements in the next version, thank you sharing them!

Some things I want to comment on:
- The 2 with the "Vestments" was a typo. I got the 4 lb from the "Clothes, costume";
- Concerning the Gladiator's weapon: all things are optional, the backgrounds system is just to give you some easy pre-defined things to choose from. Building in all the options is just not always possible
- What do you mean by "Since you have guild merchant as a separate item, shouldn't the guild business selections be separated?" When you select Guild Merchant you get a different list of things to choose from than when you select Guild Artisan.
- Gladiator as an entertainer routine would be a possibility, but that would mean a lot of re-programming of the sheet, so I'd rather leave it as it is :) I took the idea of leaving the Entertainer Routine an option for Gladiators from this text in the PHB: "though you migh also have some skills as a tumbler or and actor."
- I personally like the addition of the equipment as is. So I'm sorry, but I'm not changing the location of where the things appear :p
- The new version will have an option to set the DC calculation to nothing. I simply hadn't thought about the need for this.
- What do you mean with "when auto-adding weapons to the equipment list, the function does not recognize "x2" for quantity". Do you write "x2" in the weapon field like "Dagger x2" or in the description field?

Please keep coming with these kind of suggestions and spellchecks, they are greatly appreciated!

knith

First Post
@morepurplemorebetter: I'm a multiclass Cleric 1/Wizard 4 and would like to set the check boxes on the generated spell sheet to reflect those Wizard spells I've memorized. Unfortunately, the entire workbook (in the version I downloaded here) is password protected so I can't unprotect the generated spell sheet so that I can toggle the checkboxes for the spells on and off. Is there another way to do it...? What am I missing..?

@knith: coincidentally I was just looking at this page :p
I don't really understand what you're trying to do. Are you trying to check the boxes in Excel? The idea behind the Excel is that you use it to generate a pdf and then proceed to print the pdf, and use a pencil to check the spells you memorized. Alternatively you can turn the newly generated pdf into a pdf-form for complete digital usage (Acrobat Pro will auto-detect all the checkboxes and make them form fields, but I don't know if there's a free alternative). Unfortunately there's no way of making a form-fillable pdf from Excel.

The Excel is password protect to make sure you can't change anything as most changes will destroy all the Excel's functionality.
I could maybe add a feature where you can check the boxes in Excel, I'll have to think about how that would work!

Remove ads