Ms Marvel trailer

Thomas Shey

Legend
Beast can be added to that list.

And Jean Grey/Phoenix/Madelyn Prior/Goblin Queen. I mean, really.

And, shall we talk about the Grey Hulk/Green Hulk/Joe Fixit/Red Hulk/Gravage Hulk/Professor Hulk/Immortal Hulk?

Notice the time frame I've been talking about.

Thomas Shey

Legend
It was less that they changed powers as much as lost them for substantial periods of time or had times when they were unreliable. In the mid-70s, Ben got his powers from a worn exoskeleton and Reed lost his powers for over a year's worth of issues.

Really? I don't remember any of that, and that was in kind of the start of my peak Marvel reading.

Oh, yes he did, albeit at an earlier time frame than Ms. Marvel's trouble in the 80s. He did have his growth powers curtailed, then he left them because of his health (and so Hawkeye became Goliath for a significant stretch of time), and in the 80s he shifted from shrinking/growing himself to doing it to other objects and being more of a gadgeteer.

That latter seems a lot different than "exterior forces take your powers from you to me" (the health thing is closer, but there wasn't anything stopping him from doing his shrinking thing still during that period).

The point is - there are times when a number of characters have gone through changes/power loss and regain/identity changes. It's nothing new. It may well be that Carol Danvers has gone through it more than some, but she's really not that big an outlier.

Still seems to me outside the mutant books she was at the time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Notice the time frame I've been talking about.

I don't know what you mean by that. All the characters I'm talking about have 40+ year histories, and the changes I'm talking about are spread across that entire timeline - rather like Carol Danvers. You have suggested that the past decade has been different, but my examples go farther back than that.

Ultimately, think what you want. I don't think the history really supports you, but... big fat hairy deal.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Beast has mostly changed appearance, but his powers have been fairly constant: agility, prehensile feet, low-level super-strength, animal traits (claws, scent).

Depends how far you go back; pre-blue Beast had a signficantly less well developed power set.

But again, the mutant books are the area I will accept you've had that sort of thing almost from day one.

Staffan

Legend
Carol Danvers in the comics started with : superhuman strength, endurance, stamina, physical durability, a limited precognitive "seventh sense" and flight.

As Binary, she had all those things (from a different source), and energy absorption and massive energy projection powers.

Currently, her powers are roughly the same, but she can only maintain the massive scale she had as Binary for short periods with an infusion from some energy source.

Which seems pretty much the same quality of changes as seen with Jean Grey.
Good point. I was mixing the personality/plot twists up with the power changes, and Jean's probably even with Carol there too.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I don't know what you mean by that. All the characters I'm talking about have 40+ year histories, and the changes I'm talking about are spread across that entire timeline - rather like Carol Danvers. You have suggested that the past decade has been different, but my examples go farther back than that.

Note the phrase was "past decade or so". That's about the point I stopped reading, and I'll note none of the Hulk plotlines but one had happened by that period.

Ultimately, think what you want. I don't think the history really supports you, but... big fat hairy deal.

I think it supports me pretty well before about 2000, but as you will.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Note the phrase was "past decade or so". That's about the point I stopped reading, and I'll note none of the Hulk plotlines but one had happened by that period.

I have no freaking clue what you are talking about at this point. I was establishing the fact that Marvel characters have been yanked around for 40+ years, that this is nothing new, nor anywhere specific to Captain Marvel.

I have no idea what "the past decade or so" has to do with that.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I have no freaking clue what you are talking about at this point. I was establishing the fact that Marvel characters have been yanked around for 40+ years, that this is nothing new, nor anywhere specific to Captain Marvel.

I have no idea what "the past decade or so" has to do with that.

I guess at this point I'm simply disagreeing that what happened to Carol was typical for what was done before 20 years ago. If people think otherwise, that's as it is, but referencing things that took place more recently than that has nothing much to do with my point.

Ryujin

Legend
Well, in DC, Superman went from a high jumping, tough, and strong guy to virtually invulnerable and with only two real weaknesses of any import (magic and Kryptonite), to a less invulnerable and sun-powered character over the years. In Marvel anything that got near Apocalypse got a big tweak. Warren Worthington, to Angel, to Death, to Archangel...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases