D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Maybe, but the spelling should still make sense phonetically.
It does.
If you want it to be pronounced "a-SER-ur-ack" you should spell it Aseryurack.
That’s definitely not phonetically correct. The Y would either make it “a-SER-yur-ack” or “a-SER-ee-ur-ack” depending on if the T is being used a consonant or a long e.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
A-cer-er-ak is completely different to a-SER-ur-ack! You can't pronounce an e as a u!
It depends on context. English vowels can make lots of different sounds, and there is overlap between many of them, which can make phonetic spelling tricky, especially for people with different dialects. In the International Phonetic Alphabet it’d be [ɚ]. Er is closer to that, but ur, while not precisely the same, would sound almost indistinguishable in most American accents.
Also, repeated er-er sounds like a stammer.
Yes it does.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Ou, hay, busterrr, donchano bout Wisconzin?? Dey talk a bit different.

(My mother is from rural Wisconsin, phonetic pronunciation varies considerably from Great Britain).

I never really noticed the accents of some of my cousins once removed up in far northern Wisconsin... and then I watched Drop Dead Gorgeous (granted about a state one over) and I can't unhear it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I never really noticed the accents of some of my cousins once removed up in far northern Wisconsin... and then I watched Drop Dead Gorgeous (granted about a state one over) and I can't unhear it.
It all seemed fairly normal to me as a child, and my family is more from the southwest of the state...but my grandmother never could pronounce "th" sounds, and vowels are very different.

Remove ads