D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1625958524362.png

Interesting to note, that this "Dragonborn Champion" also has a tail. That seems a consistent trend in this Set, wonder if they will have tails in Wyatt's upcoming book.

Scribe

Legend
I will say, that in a game with variance as a core feature (draw your starting hand, draw a random card, land base, etc etc) its interesting to think of the additional layer of variance rolling can introduce, and how (if at all) Wizards tested and balanced these cards.

I've long been of the opinion that their supposed balancing has been thrown out the window anyway, but still, it is a very obvious layer of variance on top of a game that lived on that variance for its replay potential.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I will say, that in a game with variance as a core feature (draw your starting hand, draw a random card, land base, etc etc) its interesting to think of the additional layer of variance rolling can introduce, and how (if at all) Wizards tested and balanced these cards.

I've long been of the opinion that their supposed balancing has been thrown out the window anyway, but still, it is a very obvious layer of variance on top of a game that lived on that variance for its replay potential.
Well, that’s why it’s taken them this long to print any dice rolling cards in black border. But they almost had to do it here - D&D and dice are like… practically synonymous.

Scribe

Legend
Well, that’s why it’s taken them this long to print any dice rolling cards in black border. But they almost had to do it here - D&D and dice are like… practically synonymous.
My cynicism is high regarding much of what they have been trying, Companion was an absolute abomination and Maro and AF absolutely knew it would break the game.

This though is a bit different as variance is a negative competitively, so it's interesting to see how it shakes out.

Companion being the literal opposite of variance is why it was such a horrible mechanic for the game.

Remove ads