D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My cynicism is high regarding much of what they have been trying, Companion was an absolute abomination and Maro and AF absolutely knew it would break the game.

This though is a bit different as variance is a negative competitively, so it's interesting to see how it shakes out.

Companion being the literal opposite of variance is why it was such a horrible mechanic for the game.
No comment on that matter. Just saying, the added variance of dice is something they’ve avoided in black border town, but I can’t see them making a D&D set without dice rolling.

Ixal

Hero
Interesting to note, that this "Dragonborn Champion" also has a tail. That seems a consistent trend in this Set, wonder if they will have tails in Wyatt's upcoming book.
By now its pretty much guranteed that this will be the look of the metallic/chromatic/gem dragonborn that have been teasered.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My cynicism is high regarding much of what they have been trying, Companion was an absolute abomination and Maro and AF absolutely knew it would break the game.

This though is a bit different as variance is a negative competitively, so it's interesting to see how it shakes out.

Companion being the literal opposite of variance is why it was such a horrible mechanic for the game.
Having played with the cards a bit now in Arena, the variance level is actually pretty low ofor those cards (like, scry 1 card or scry 2 cards, big deal). Maro said on Tumblr that they very intentionally didn't use the dice rolling mechanic for any chase cards that might see competitive play.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My 11yo and I are playing two-headed Giant on Saturday. No afternoon individual one we can make, so we're buying two pre-release kits to play at home too.
I'm in a pre-release with a buddy of mine that I have been playing with since the game came out. It was a surprise when the store told me that they would be handing out the pre-ordered boxes on pre-release weekend, rather than when it's released to the public.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm in a pre-release with a buddy of mine that I have been playing with since the game came out. It was a surprise when the store told me that they would be handing out the pre-ordered boxes on pre-release weekend, rather than when it's released to the public.

They started doing that a year or two ago for pre-orders, but I think only on that weekend and not during the week. Has been pretty popular. Being able to get the pre-release kits for home is nice too, but I'm not sure that will keep going or not.

Having played with the cards a bit now in Arena, the variance level is actually pretty low ofor those cards (like, scry 1 card or scry 2 cards, big deal). Maro said on Tumblr that they very intentionally didn't use the dice rolling mechanic for any chase cards that might see competitive play.

Delina begs to differ, with luck or cunning she can be easily the most powerful creature card in the set, playing with her on Arena, even without enhancers, but alot of luck, she has single handedly beaten players for me. Even rolling a 1 and using her own power on herself can deal 6 damage.

Scribe

Legend
Delina begs to differ, with luck or cunning she can be easily the most powerful creature card in the set, playing with her on Arena, even without enhancers, but alot of luck, she has single handedly beaten players for me. Even rolling a 1 and using her own power on herself can deal 6 damage.
That seems like something that still isnt top level competitive. Any card can win a game, but if a 3/2 4cmc card that doesnt have haste is game winning...Standard is fairly low power.

Remove ads