D&D 5E MtG D&D Commander Legends: Battle For Baldur's Gate Announce!

True, it was mostly set in Amn, hence the subtitle Shadows of Amn. It was called Baldur's Gate 2 on the basis of being a sequel to Baldur's Gate 1. Which doesn't affect the point, Baldur's Gate has high name recognition (thanks to the classic CRPG), which is no doubt why it is being used for the MTG set. I doubt it will have much connection to the location.

"The debut of Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms brought a mix of Magic and D&D to life in amazing ways—with many more stories and characters from the Forgotten Realms to share. Focusing on the city of Baldur's Gate and building on the Commander-first gameplay of 2019's Commander Legends, our return to Commander Draft with Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate brings in iconic characters, new mechanics, more flavorful spells from D&D, plus Commander Legends-style foil-etched legendary creatures—all packed into an even greater social experience.

Be ready when the battle begins in the second quarter of 2022."

I think it will very much have focus on Baldur's Gate, both the city and the Baldur's Gate series of games. Not that I think every Legendary Creature or Land will be set there, I don't, but I think alot of it will be. Key Locations will likely be special lands like maybe a new set of Dual Lands and some colorless lands with some special traits.

For Legendary Creatures, I suspect no less then 10 characters, not including Minsc, will be from BG3 including the playable characters released so far. I suspect a few characters from previous Baldur's Gate games will also be in the set, like Viconia, maybe Tiax.

I suspect key NPCs from Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus will be in as well. I think Bhaal, Myrkul, and Bane will get cards, but to Balance it out some good Gods will also get cards.

So at least 15 to 30 Legendary Creature cards will be tied to Baldur's Gate, but that would still leaves 42 to 89 Legendary Creatures and that doesn't include Planeswalkers that can be Commanders.

I expect no less then 15 to 30, possibly more will be loved characters from the novels, including Elminster as a Planeswalker with Partner and can be your Commander.

The rest I believe will be a mix of fameous monsters, Gods, and some new characters to increase diversity and to fill in niches, and plot points.

True, it was mostly set in Amn, hence the subtitle Shadows of Amn. It was called Baldur's Gate 2 on the basis of being a sequel to Baldur's Gate 1. Which doesn't affect the point, Baldur's Gate has high name recognition (thanks to the classic CRPG), which is no doubt why it is being used for the MTG set. I doubt it will have much connection to the location.

"The debut of Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms brought a mix of Magic and D&D to life in amazing ways—with many more stories and characters from the Forgotten Realms to share. Focusing on the city of Baldur's Gate and building on the Commander-first gameplay of 2019's Commander Legends, our return to Commander Draft with Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate brings in iconic characters, new mechanics, more flavorful spells from D&D, plus Commander Legends-style foil-etched legendary creatures—all packed into an even greater social experience.

Be ready when the battle begins in the second quarter of 2022."

I think it will very much have focus on Baldur's Gate, both the city and the Baldur's Gate series of games. Not that I think every Legendary Creature or Land will be set there, I don't, but I think alot of it will be. Key Locations will likely be special lands like maybe a new set of Dual Lands and some colorless lands with some special traits.

Like a Dual Land that is the HQ of the Flaming Fist, the Temple of the Wonderbringer, Tymora's Temple, the Wyvern Span Bridge, etc..., or named after Districts of the city, or even Faerun cities like a Black-Blue Baldur's Gate, a Blue-White Waterdeep, a White-Black Skuld, a Red-Black Calimport, etc...

For Legendary Creatures, I suspect no less then 10 characters, not including Minsc, will be from BG3 including the playable characters released so far. I suspect a few characters from previous Baldur's Gate games will also be in the set, like Viconia, maybe Tiax.

I suspect key NPCs from Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus will be in as well. I think Bhaal, Myrkul, and Bane will get cards, but to Balance it out some good Gods will also get cards.

So at least 15 to 30 Legendary Creature cards will be tied to Baldur's Gate, but that would still leaves 42 to 89 Legendary Creatures and that doesn't include Planeswalkers that can be Commanders.

I expect no less then 15 to 30, possibly more will be loved characters from the novels, including Elminster as a Planeswalker with Partner and can be your Commander.

The rest I believe will be a mix of fameous monsters, Gods, and some new characters to increase diversity and to fill in niches, and plot points, like some extra villains tied to the plot of the battle.

I've been thing about how many Commander Deck precons will be connected to CL: BfBG, at first I thought 2 like the last CL, but they really emphasized the social multi-player aspect of CL: BfBG and AFR had 4 Commander Deck precons for social reasons, so I now think it will be 4, outside chance of 5, but 4 I think is more likely.

The means it's most like we will get 2 Kamigawa Decks, 5 Commander 2022 New Capenna Decks, 2 Dominaria United Decks, 2 Brother's Wars decks, and 4 Warhammer 40,000. If CL: BfBG gets 4 Decks that 19 Commander Decks, each 100 cards apiece. That is 1900 cards.

This year it maxed at 15 Commander Precon Decks, 1500 cards.

Vael

Legend
What's the total count of new cards? (A lot of those 1500 are basic lands, lands no one plays once they get a decent collection, and sol rings et.al...).

According to my Scryfall search, this year has seen 168 cards created for and printed in Commander precons this year. With another 50-60ish for the 4 upcoming decks.

ETA: Sorry, that's 159 cards ... my first search included 9 cards that have been previewed for Midnight Hunt already, including the ones only in Set/Collector Boosters that make me very angry.

What's the total count of new cards? (A lot of those 1500 are basic lands, lands no one plays once they get a decent collection, and sol rings et.al...).

For the cheap decks I believe it's 3-6 new cards and in most others it's 16-17, with the exception of the upcoming Innistrad sets which are 15 new cards per deck.

This also doesn't count reprints cards with new art and text.

Vael

Legend
Did any Commander deck connect to commander legends 1? I thought only premier sets had commander precons with them
That's true, but it's a commander product, so there were two precons. A Simic (blue/green) land and sea monster deck and a Boros (red/white) equipment deck.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases