Multi-classing: as good as it seems?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So

When I first read the 5e PHB, I was initially surprised that multiclassing was optional. However, when I saw the flexibility that backgrounds brought to the game, and the number of "pseudo multiclass " options (like the arcane trickster), it seemed that multiclassing wasn't really needed anymore.

The inclination to not allow multiclassing increased when I started seeing things like the sorlock or sorcadin. These seemed op and in some cases quite cheesy.

But lately I am starting to think that these multiclass creations are not as powerful as they might appear. A number of them need several levels before they "come online" . Meanwhile, single class PCs get a big bump at level 5. By the time the multiclass PC reaches that, the others have gained useful abilities like the paladin 's aura, or higher level spells, as well as being ahead ASI/feat wise.

By the time the multiclass PC catches up on those, the others now have the level 11 bump... and not too long after that most campaigns will end!

So while a white room analysis tells us that these creations are really potent, I wonder if that is the case in actual play...

Quartz

Hero
I wonder if there's a difference between a multi-class PC grown from level 1 and a multi-class PC designed / brought in at a much higher level.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
There are a few 1-2 level dips that are pretty worth it, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

Keaerin

First Post
Dipping 1-3 levels can be a big power boost. The only real combo that I've seen be broken is a paladin warlock with hexblade. I don't allow hexblade multi classes. Straight lock hexblade are fine.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, multiclassing is pretty balanced. You can still get some pretty strong synergies with 1-3 level dips, but for the most part those are pretty fair. Multiclassing does get much stronger in campaigns where you start at a higher level, because then you can enter play with your build already “online.” But if you’re starting from 1 and building up, then Multiclassing basically just skews your advancement curve, making you stronger in the long run at the cost of it taking longer for you to get there.

jgsugden

Legend
For any character levels except 1, 5 and 11, I can generally create a multiclass combo that is "better" than a monoclass option... except for primary spellcasters. By better, I mean is more effective in their primary role.

At levels 2-4, a multi-class character is as powerful as a single-class one, but with greater flexibility. The main thing that you get out of those levels is Hit Points, and multi-classing sacrifices none of that.

At level 5, a multi-class character is missing out on the major power boost that everyone else gets.

At higher levels, a multi-class character with at least five levels in one class will sort of even out. As long as you can make two attacks in a round, or cast fireball, you can still contribute almost as much as anyone else. There are a couple of gimmicks that you can use to rise above everyone else in either sustained contributions or burst capability, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Shiroiken

Legend
Generally, I've found that most multi-class characters simply dip 1-2 levels to make up for some flaw. The Paladin dipping warlock to get Eldritch Blast is a common example of this, as Paladins are pretty bad at ranged combat. Other than the fact that it can be immersion breaking, it isn't game-breaking IME.

The other example I've "seen" is building to a certain level in a class, then switching to another class in a way that compliments each other. One example I've heard, is to take Fighter/Eldritch Knight to level 7 in order to get War Magic, then switch to Wizard/Bladesinger. In general, I find this to be mostly theory crafting, which may or may not be overpowered in actual play. The only example of this I've personally witnessed was a Rogue/Thief who went to level 11 to get Reliable Talent, then switched over to Fighter/Champion to try an improve his Sneak Attack damage with Improved Critical (it was not overpowered in any way, the player simply didn't feel the later Rogue/Thief abilities were worth taking).

I would like to see a few more sub-classes used to help remove the need for the 1-2 level dip, and to help recreate the old gestalt style of multi-classing. This is just personal preference, however, and not a true "need."

Remove ads