D&D 5E Multi-Multi-classing

Horwath

Legend
With 2 levels of warlock and decent cha, you can work almost any multiclass beacause you can always fall back to "blast spamming"

6th level paladin/2 warlock/X sorcerer can be real powerhouse

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, and because it would be the best way to help you, what 3-class are you considering? What is the concept you are aiming for?

Floki from Vikings with added land and environmental spells from the old gods and also some trickster stuff as well as a little support

He has to be melee viable (not tank) with some form of damage mitigation (5 Rogue at least)

Land Druid and Rogue are the base classes I think, and Bard and maybe even a little Fighter

I was considering Dex/Wis/Cha and something in Con. getting 14's in those is viable.

I know people will shout Arcane Trickster at me but don't really want to add Int to the mix. Landing a Suggestion spell feels reasonably important so at least 3 levels of Bard.

I have thought of many ways to do this with two classes (Paladin/Bard, Tempest/Ranger) etc. but it does not feel complete.

I know that's asking a lot for one build but I'm most interested in what I will give up

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If you've got access to UA material, Stone Sorcerer 1/Hexblade Warlock 1/Cha Class X can be a fun start. Good hit points and profs, unarmored AC based on Con, melee attacks based on Cha. It's an obvious SorLock combo, but you can use it to spice up a combo with a lot of classes.

nswanson27

First Post
Hey folks.

I wouldn’t mind getting a take on people's experiences who have multi-classed their PC’s into at least three classes. I am looking at a build with three classes to fully capture a flavour but am mindful of
M.A.D., ASI issues and potentially feeling underpowered compared to other PC's.

What are people’s experiences with 3 or more classes in one? (especially M.A.D. builds) How did they feel to play?

Cheers, for your time and replies.

I have a char with 4 classes (rogue assassin, shadow monk, hunter ranger, arcane cleric (Mask as deity)). He's fun. Very versatile. Designed to get into back ranks and shut them down quickly.
Certain sub-classes thematically go well together as well as mechanically. I would say hold out on going too crazy till higher levels though.

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
Just plan the entire build from the level you start until the level he need to work as planned. If look like you losing more than you winning great part of the time, don't do it.
Some frankensteins multiclasses really don't work if you start at level 1, because you need to reach lvl 9+ to shine, but is way under average before reach that, sometimes just change the multiclass order that will be better. Others multiclasses had a lower level work point or can be fairly functional before reach the planned level.

Like, you go until level 5 of ranger to get extra attack and 2nd lvl spell, than go more 3 (4 if you need ASI) as assassin and after more 3 (or 4) as battlemaster fighter. You delayed you ASI in just one level and had a functional character all the time.
But if you would want to start as fighter 3, than get 3 of assassin and finish with 5 as ranger, this probably would be a worse choice, since you got your first ASI at level 10 and extra attack only at 11.

Corwin

Explorer
One of my favorite PCs thus far, playing 5e, is my half-elven holy assassin. Raised in the ancient, high elf church, eventually recruited into their semi-secret order of mystical (not the class) assassins, the Order of the Unseen. Touched with gifts from the Queen of Air & Darkness herself, they hone themselves into living weapons, and are fanatically loyal to their sylvan faith. Agents tasked with doing the things, sometimes unsavory but necessary, to ensure the church's continued influence and power.

Anyway, he's got the acolyte background and a conglomeration of three classes. IMO they all provide various cool bits and pieces that give me the flavor and elements I am looking for in the concept.

Right now he's up to Assassin 3 / Shadow Monk 6 / Feypact Tomelock 3. And he's been so much fun to play.

jurrubin

Explorer
Fast forward to the year 2022..I'm running a Swashbuckling Hexblade of Vengeance (Rogue 3/Warlock 3/Paladin 5) Wood Elf that is THE devastatingly best all-around character I've run since I started playing D&D 'way back in 1977.

Seriously.

No, he's not able to out-damage a pure Barbarian Fighter or a Goliath Paladin but he's not supposed to. What he IS able to do is keep up with any other character build (front line, stealth, healer), heal them of wounds and disease, zip around the battlefield massively disrupting enemy attacks, survive attacks that have trashed single-class members of his party (yay, Shield spell!), and, more often than not, dish out a nova attack that can shock a DM.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Fast forward to the year 2022..I'm running a Swashbuckling Hexblade of Vengeance (Rogue 3/Warlock 3/Paladin 5) Wood Elf that is THE devastatingly best all-around character I've run since I started playing D&D 'way back in 1977.

Seriously.

No, he's not able to out-damage a pure Barbarian Fighter or a Goliath Paladin but he's not supposed to. What he IS able to do is keep up with any other character build (front line, stealth, healer), heal them of wounds and disease, zip around the battlefield massively disrupting enemy attacks, survive attacks that have trashed single-class members of his party (yay, Shield spell!), and, more often than not, dish out a nova attack that can shock a DM.
How are you using shield? That's only available to Sorcerers and Wizards, and isn't one of the schools for Arcane Trickster. Being level 11, have you not noticed any issues with having no higher than 18 Cha?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
How are you using shield? That's only available to Sorcerers and Wizards, and isn't one of the schools for Arcane Trickster. Being level 11, have you not noticed any issues with having no higher than 18 Cha?
Arcane Tricksters get 3 1st level wizard spells at 3rd level. Two of them must be from the enchantment or illusion schools, but the third spell can be any wizard spell. Shield is a common choice for this third spell for ATs. They also can add a spell from any school at 8th, 14th, and 20th level (not that that matters in this case).

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Arcane Tricksters get 3 1st level wizard spells at 3rd level. Two of them must be from the enchantment or illusion schools, but the third spell can be any wizard spell. Shield is a common choice for this third spell for ATs.
Ah, alright then.

Adding up the numbers, 6 first-level slots and 4+2×(# short rests) second-level slots per day is...not much. I'm skeptical about whether it is the multiclass that is the power here.

Remove ads