D&D 5E Multi-Pact Warlock

So my warlock has just gained a level. I'm wondering if it will be rule-safe if I multi-class my Warlock into another Warlock Class?

The initial skills, spell list may overlap but it will be worth it if my character will be both a Pact of Chain and Book!

Although a Warlock 2 / Warlock 2 may break the game since it may then dictate it will have a total of 4 invocations?

For story consistency it will be the same Patron.

Of course it will depend on the DM but can this be rule-safe?

Ganymede81

First Post
If you want access to some of the other patron's spells or features, why not simply ask your DM to make some like-for-like swaps?

I would really discourage stacking pact boons, though.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
So my warlock has just gained a level. I'm wondering if it will be rule-safe if I multi-class my Warlock into another Warlock Class?

The initial skills, spell list may overlap but it will be worth it if my character will be both a Pact of Chain and Book!

Although a Warlock 2 / Warlock 2 may break the game since it may then dictate it will have a total of 4 invocations?

For story consistency it will be the same Patron.

Of course it will depend on the DM but can this be rule-safe?

First its not allowed per rules as written:

"With this rule, you have the option of gaining a level in a new class whenever you advance in level, instead of gaining a level in your current class." PHB p.163

The reason it that anything that refers to "Warlock level" could be considered to include all of them so what would you be losing for this exchange? There needs to be a cost. If you count them as separate classes and only use your highest one as "warlock levels" then you would get separate spell slots for Pact Magic multiclass allowing way more spell slots for a level 2.

Example:
Warlock 4: 2 2nd level spell slots, 2 invocations, 3 cantrips, 5 known spells
Warlock 2 / Warlock 2: 4 1st level spell slots, 4 invocations, 4 cantrips, 4 known spells, Cost: 1 feat 1 known spell

-At high level-
Warlock 20: 4 5th level spell slots, 8 invocations, 4 cantrips, 15 known spells
Warlock 4 / Warlock 4 / Warlock 16: 3 5th and 4 2nd level spell slots, 11 invocations, 10 cantrips, 23 known spells
and the benefit of all 3 pacts instead of 1... Cost: Mystic Arcanum (9th level) and Eldritch Master (which is way out shadowed by the fact you can restore 7 spell slots per short rest). So really only Mystic Arcanum (9th level).

So yes multi-classing in Warlock twice breaks the class (way more powerful than the standard warlock so no one would use it) on top of being not allowed.

Would be interesting for a boss to fight though.

Edit: After additional consideration.
Wizard Level 20 to get an idea of the power difference between other high level casters.

22 spell slots total, 5 cantrips, 44 known spells (with the ability to record more into your book)
Requirement to prepare spells (25 at 20 with 20 int.), Long rest to recover spell slots
- Warlocks still know less spells
+ 13 cantrips is a lot of "free" spell casting for warlocks
(since you would get 3 from Tome from any class)
= Warlocks 7 spells slot recovered after short rests will not over power wizards if they only get 2 short rests in a day. But keep in mind Warlocks would get 10 level 5 spell slots in exchange for the loss of 6 higher spell slots. A third short rest in the same day tips it to the Warlock. (Not huge and controllable by GM)
+ Warlocks Familiar is way more powerful than the Wizards
+ Blade lock ability only really matters if the warlock is built to be useful in melee.
++ The bid disparity is defiantly the 11 invocations which can make some higher level spells cantrips.

I would try and get into more of the differences but its already leaning toward warlocks. It would still say broken, however it would take some work to make it game breaking broken. If you did not give additional cantrips (except for the 3 for tome) and did not allow more than 8 invocations... it actually would not be that bad.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Note to self: Next campaign BBEG mastermind supervillain...the FIRST Warlock.

Didn't have to differentiate "Pact" type because he was the actual first guy (or girl?) to make A Pact to become a warlock. So gains the Pact Boons, powers, and accesses spells of all three subclasses.

He'she eventually came after his/her patron and slew them to get out of his/her side of their bargain. Following him/her, entities got wise to giving their agents too much power and multiversally only ever grant a SINGLE type of Pact/boon and set of powers so as not to befall the same fate.

But the FIRST Warlock, he/she["it" at this point?] doesn't have to worry about such constraints...or losing their powers to their patron. In fact, might be considered a Patron to choose, themselves, at this point.

Yeah...this has legs...gonna run with it.

Thanks! Totally broken and out of the question for PCs, naturally. But a GREAT idea for a campaign recurring villain/BBEG/mastermind.

^This is actually a good plot hook and background story for Warlocks. I don't mind having it as a patron as well.

"My young warlock, I can see in your eyes the pride over your boons, hexes and your imp.
Then let me tell you about the story of <Insert Name here> - Breaker of chains, ritual master, mistress of the pact, mother of dragons, first of her name, the unburnt, the first Warlock...
"

Love it!

Last edited:

Bladecoder

First Post
Hmmm... If it is the same patron as you say it is then you should probably role play a situation in which you agree to do more for your patron in exchange for more power.

Perhaps on a homebrew campaign that will be a good idea to increase the bargain for more power.

But for now I want to keep it AL legal. I'm was just toying with this idea if its possible to make this legal. With the current restrictions, it iooks like it can't be.

Remove ads