• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclass characters: Class overload?

the Jester

Legend
Well, I guess I'd say I have seen both extremes- from a 26thish level single classed character to pcs with tons of classes, including-

a psion/wizard/ex-monk/ranger/ur-priest
a ranger/rogue/cleric/assassin/contemplative/monk
a rogue/fighter/halfling paragon/invisible blade
an ex-barbarian/psychic warrior/fighter/warmind/legendary dreadnought

So, like I said, I've seen a good spread. :)

roguerouge

First Post
I've got a Bard 17/Barbarian 1/Frenzied Berzerker 10/Fighter 2/Legendary Dreadnought 2

I've got an Urban Ranger 4.

I've got a Rogue 10/Sorcerer 16.

Dark Psion

First Post
When 3rd edition first came out, I created a PC that was 2nd level in every core class, just for the hell of it.

I named him Marri-Suu' :)

I later used him as the most annoying NPC in my homebrew world.

Harmon

First Post
Presently playing a Cleric 16 and a Ranger 6/Fighter 4/ Deepwood Sniper 6. The GM claims we will be returning to the campaign where I have a Wizard 7/Arcane Order 7, but I am not sure about that.

One of my former players had a Rogue/Fighter/Ranger/Duelist that made it to 12th lvl - the exacts of his lvl eludes me at present.

Most of the time its just one or two classes in our group, and all focused towards one goal- a character end concept.

Pinotage

Explorer
I think 2 classes and 1 or 2 prestige classes is fairly typical. Currently I'm playing:

Barbarian/Ranger/Horizon Walker (Level 9 Total)
Druid (Level 7)
Wizard (Level 7)
Fighter/Cleric (Level 6 Total)
Scout (Level 2)

It's often easier to qualify for a prestige class if you have two classes that synergize like Barbarian and Ranger. The other issue is that a lot of the prestige classes were better than continuing in the single class of your choice. So it made multiclassing using a prestige class or even two almost a no-brainer.

Pinotage

Aus_Snow

First Post
sjmiller said:
So I am wondering, if a character is 10th level, how many classes do you generally see? What about 15th level?
Probably around 2-4 and 3-5, respectively. On average.

I've seen more than that by then, a number of times. Very rarely fewer.

Jhaelen

First Post
sjmiller said:
So I am wondering, if a character is 10th level, how many classes do you generally see?
My group at level 10:
one class: 2x (Brb, Psi)
one class + one prestige class: 3x (Drd/Warshaper, Ftr/Lasher, Clr/RSoP)
two classes + one prestige class: 2x (Rgr/Wil/Slayer, Brb/Rog/Shd)
two classes + two prestige classes: 1x (Rgr/Ftr/Shd/Order of the Bow Initiate)

Other than these we've had a single-classed Sorcerer, Wilder, Dragon Shaman, and Fighter, a Cleric/Fighter, and a Clr/Wiz/Mystic Theurge.

Prepared backup characters include:
- Ftr/Kensai
- Wiz/Shadowcraft Mage
- Sor/Rog/Daggerspell Mage
- Mnk/Psi/Fist of Zuoken
- Rog/Factotum/Chameleon
- Ftr/Brb/Hex/Mageslayer

So, including past and future characters, there's a total of:
6x single class
6x single class + one prc
6x two classes + one prc
1x two classes + two prc
1x three classes + one prc

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Depends on the game.

In the very high stat game that always aims at hitting epic, here's the breakdown:

Up through fifth I usually see 1-2. If it's 2 it's either a character concept that fits between them (the savage tracker who's a barbarian/ranger, for example) or someone with just a single level of something else, usually to represent backstory or to cherry pick something like track or a fighter feat. But single class is also common, especially for casters. Say a 50/50 split.

By 8th, 80% of the people have a prestige class, with the exception being single class folks who have a core class that's actually interesting and unique at higher levels, like a Druid, Monk or Beguiler. There is a chance by this point there was some PrC cherry picking and someone has two prestige classes, but that seems rarer.

By 15th the people going for prestige classes often have two of them, perhaps three and in rare cases four. So we've got a spread of 1-6 classes total by this point, with 2-4 being the most common.

20th either sees +1-2 more prestige classes or finishing up other ones, especially 10 level ones in preparation for epic levels. So the spread is 1-8 classes, with 2-5 being most common.

The other games, with less high stats (so MAD hurts more) I see less multiclassing.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Remove ads