• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclass characters: Class overload?

sjmiller

Explorer
I am curious about something. I have been reading these boards since the 3.0 days, and I have been fascinated by the different characters I see mentioned. Folks seem to do a huge amount of multi-class characters, some with four or more classes. So I am wondering, if a character is 10th level, how many classes do you generally see? What about 15th level? In my campaigns so far, the most I have seen is 3 classes, and that is at 15th level. Most characters are single classed, or double classed at most. Now, maybe it is because we do not allow a huge number of books outside the core 3 books, but that is a separate message thread.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I frequently see either one class or three classes - two base and a prestige class. I haven't seen any player take more than three at any level.
-blarg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Most of the ones I see are either 2 classed or 1-2 with a PrCl. However, in a current 3Ed RttToEE-based campaign, one guy is running a solo-classed Wizard, and I'm running a Ftr/Rgr/SpecWiz (Diviner)/Spellsword (party is level 10 PCs). For the record, the only books allowed are the Core 3 + the softcover splats.

Then again, I'm kind of an anomaly. Ever since I started playing 30 years ago, most of my PCs have been multiclassed in some way. In that time, beyond my first PC (a fighter), my 3rd PC (another fighter) and a few Paladins, most- perhaps 85%- of my PCs have had 2-3 classes. Few of my heroic concepts are narrow enough to fit within the confines of a single D&D character class.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I've had one person take a single prestige class, with a single base class; I've had one person take a couple levels of racial paragon, and everyone else (the other 15-20 characters) have been single class. But we have not played above 10th level in any of the campaigns I've run so far.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I sometimes would occasionally multiclass to try and create a certain kind of character, but in the end it would always hamper me since well I always got things I didn't want in that secondary class to just gain the one or two things I did.

So I do multiclass on occasion but it is a painful experience.

scholar

First Post
I tend to multiclass heavily to build my concept, but at the same time I also about half the time stay single class...

feast or famine

my current character has four classes, and had all four before tenth level

currently rog3ftr2dread pirate 5 scarlet corsair 4... the last six levels will be scarlet corsair

this is in the savage tide adventure path

GeorgeFields

Explorer
I've seen ONE character with 6 classes

Fighter 2, Wizard 5, Cleric 3, Monk 2, Shadow Adept 5, Nightcloak 5 (22 total)

Mostly seen 1 or 2 classes with the occasional 3 (2 base + prestige)

utopia27

First Post
Our current 3.5 campaign, about 15th level (been running a while...):
Rang/Arc Arch
Rogue/Human Paragon
Bard/(Pr Cl - forget which one..)
Sorc/Rogue/Dragon Slayer/Eld Knight (with 3 monster progression levels for 1/2 dragon)
Samurai/Seppun (+major bloodline levels)

A game I'm running for my kids (and thus keeping simple) - progressed to 10th level:
fighter
cleric
rogue/wizard/daggerspell mage
druid (+3 ECL - faerie)
ranger/order of the bow initiate
hexblade

Voadam

Legend
For my Eponymous PC I've had a lot of multiclassing.

He started out in 2e as a myrmidon kit human (viking type) fighter who traveled switched class to mage and eventually learned 1e OA martial arts.

In 3e He got converted to 7th level for a Banewarrens game with 2 PCs. IIRC I went with Ranger 1, Monk 1, Wiz 5, variant of harper mage from Magic of Faerun 3, and then loremaster. So 4 classes by level 10 and 5 by level 11.

When we converted to 3.5 he went eldritch knight to get closer to the viking warrior roots and so his sword wielding was actually competent instead of merely ineffectually there. I also dropped monk for just Improved unarmed strike and acquired my own deflect arrows gloves, ring of evasion, and monk's belt to keep the tertiary martial arts skills flavor. So in 3.5 he is (in one game currently) a rgr 1, wiz 5, harper mage 1, eldritch knight 9, abjurant champion 1 (had the DM gotten CM earlier I would be higher in that class) at 17th level.

Now most of my characters stick with one or two classes, but this one had a lot of history and can best be done through multiclassing (he's been used in a bunch of different games with different iterations, UA variant barbarian instead of the ranger, gestalt ranger wizard, Everquest RPG rogue and ranger, straight wizard with weapon proficiency heading towards loremaster, and ranger wizard, and a Vampire the Masquerade NPC spellcasting hunter by another DM).

In 4e I expect he'd be a wizard with multiclass feats for a melee striker class.

Last edited:

Ipissimus

First Post
By level 10? Usually, I see more single class characters than multiclass.

But, the most common multiclass characters I've seen have 3 classes (x+y+Mystic Theurge, Arcane Trickster or Eldrich Knight).

The highest number I've seen was 5 (rogue 1/Sorcerer 1/Dancer (that one from Dragon Compendium) 1/ Human Paragon 3/ Thrall of Malcanthet x (to fill up the rest of the levels). But that was to fit a very specific character concept.

Remove ads