Multiclassing question

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Our DM has decided that he's comfy enough with 4Ed to open up our options beyond PHB1, so we can rework our PCs. My books are on loan at the moment, so I need a little help.

One essential element of my PC is the Dungeoneering skill which is not found on the Warlock skill list. So he multiclassed into Ranger.

The question is, what feats in the PHBs get you Dungeoneering?

Mengu

First Post
Not sure what kind of Warlock you are, but if you are the charisma kind, Bard MC with Bardic Dilttante (PHB2) can be a very nice investment for both the skill, and an emergency heal/slide. It also opens the door for Bardic Knowledge or Bard of All Trades, depending on where you want some skill bonuses.

But keeping ranger multiclass isn't bad either, if you intend to take a power swap like Spitting Cobra Stance down the road.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Starlock, 16 Con & Cha, 14 Int. Hmmm, I might find it advantageous to change some stats while I'm at it- if I don't stay a Ranger, I can drop his Str a little and reallocate...

Last edited:

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I would emphasize what Leorix has said about Backgrounds which can make Dungeoneering available as a class skill for free if the feat is not a part of your class planning.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Also, if you use Backgrounds from PHB2, you could choose one like "Geography - Mountains" and gain training in Dungeoneering for free.

I would emphasize what Leorix has said about Backgrounds which can make Dungeoneering available as a class skill for free if the feat is not a part of your class planning.

Note that Free Xenon had it more exact. The background makes Dungeoneering available but doesn't actually give you free training.

By my count you can take any of these multiclass feats to get Dungeoneering training: Bardic Dilettante (Bard), Defender of the Wild (Warden), Two-Blade Warrior or Warrior of the Wild (Ranger), or Disciplined Talent (Psion).

With your stats it sounds like the Bard or Psion one would work best since you already qualify for their prereqs and the others have Dex or Str prereqs.

Mengu

First Post
Starlock, 16 Con & Cha, 14 Int. Hmmm, I might find it advantageous to change some stats while I'm at it- if I don't stay a Ranger, I can drop his Str a little and reallocate...

Dex is more useful than Str anyway, so even if you stay with Ranger MC, you should consider switching to 13 Dex rather than 13 Str, unless you were planning on getting Hide Armor. With 13 Dex you can still MC Ranger and you get access to Dual Implement.

Going Balanced Con/Cha is a tough build. That's the way the Starlock in my game started, but she has since abandoned Cha, to pump Con and Int, so now the Cha stat is just sitting there looking pretty, but not doing much else since all her powers are Con based. I'm thinking of letting her steal a few points from Cha to bolster her Int.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
My first 4e character was a Warlock. I ended up going with 16 in Cha and Con because the book suggested that I might want to. The extra hit points and healing surges were nice to have but that was bad advice.

The entire Warlock class... it's just a mess of counter-intuitive design choices. Never should have made it past playtesting like that (along with Cleric, Paladin, and to a lesser extent, Ranger).

That said, I did enjoy playing her, even if she did end up sucking as a striker (Feylock). Fortunately, our party also had a wonderful Goblin Ranger MC Rogue to take up the slack in damage output.

I further the suggestion to multiclass to get access to the skill you want. Skill Training feels like a ripoff when there are so many other good ways to get training for the cost of a feat. My example character ended up taking the wizard MC for both training in Nature and Ritual Caster.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
MC Psion is looking better- the PC already has 2 powers that target Will, and there are a few Psion powers that do so as well...and since the Warlock powers penalize target will saves, that could result in some nice synergy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If I go MC Psion, I'm thinking Dishearten is the power to choose- it would give the PC a Will-targeting AoE attack that 1) synergizes with Dreadful Word and Dread Star and 2) can help with Minion sweeping.

However, I was also looking in Psionic Power- Awakened Potential (gain a PP and can Augment) and Focused Talent (gain Discipline Focus- 2 thematically linked powers- as dailies) seem useful. Anyone have experience with them?

Remove ads