D&D 5E Multiclassing--Which and Why?

What is your favorite style of multiclassing?

• Classic Multiclassing

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Classic Dual-classing

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 3e Multiclassing

Votes: 44 38.9%
  • 3e Gestalt

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • 4e Multiclass Feats

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • 4e Hybrid

Votes: 17 15.0%

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It doesn't make any less sense than a Wizard coming back from an adventure and suddenly being able to cast new spells, despite no research or study. All level-ups have that problem unless they can only happen after a long period of training/study (which was the original design).

This might warrant its own thread,as it has nothing to do with multi-classing, specifically...but...

What ever happened to this?! The training/study/research time...necessary for leveling up, I mean!

Yeah, I know it was handwaved away a lot, and that's fine. We hand waved it at times (stuck in the Underdark miles underground for a few months at a time and in desperate need of that new level, comes to mind).

But, I mean, when did it happen that training was no longer an assumption of the game (house-rules are gonna handwave if they wanna no matter what)?

Seems to me a LOT of certain styles of play/players problems, specifically those stemming from internal consistency, could be easily quashed by putting "two weeks" or "a month" or however long it takes "go by while you train into your next level" back into the game, even handwaved!

And, as I recall, much fun, NPC interactions and side-quests had a way of popping up while you were "stuck in town" for a few weeks. :devil:

But, again, not really the point of the thread, just something that jumped to mind from GX.Sigma's post.

We can discuss it elsewhere if anyone's interested.
--SD

Yeah, but that's a little like forcing everyone to eat free delicious pie.

"Oh no, life's so hard, I have to eat this slice of free delicious pie, why are they making me eat this free delicious pie, this would be so hard if it was not free and also delicious."

I mean, Gestalt CLEARLY isn't the "ideal" way to multiclass, but it's still got some fun elements and a simplicity that I really like. :)

No. No it isn't. It has two fundamental problems.

1: There's no "simple class". Everyone needs to play something complex.

2: It gives problems with archetypes.

It's more like adding cream to a nice sweet Death By Chocolate cake. I like chocolate. I like cream. But at some point my arteries are going to look at it and say "No way".

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Neonchameleon said:
1: There's no "simple class". Everyone needs to play something complex.

Heh. A gestalt DOUBLE FIGHTER is still probably less complex than the original 4e fighter. But it is a fair point.

Neonchameleon said:
2: It gives problems with archetypes.

Eh. Much less so than the standard 3e multiclassing, anyway, where dips and drops lead to a very personalized ability set for many players -- though many others would just dump 20 levels into one thing anyway.

Neonchameleon said:
It's more like adding cream to a nice sweet Death By Chocolate cake. I like chocolate. I like cream. But at some point my arteries are going to look at it and say "No way".

Only if your arteries are pansy little noddle babies. ;)

Again, I don't think Gestalt is the best idea. But I do love many aspects about it, and I think it may be a bit premature to count it out as a potential model, or at least a model whose good ideas can be looted for something a bit less wahoo.

BobTheNob

First Post
4E style multiclassing feats.

It's far from perfect and too weak, but i like the dipping modularity that it gives PCs.
3.5 multiclassing would be ideal, but that has too many problems. I think that 4E multiclassing feats are a very similar system, but much more limited and controlled. And you have the choice of how much and when you dip.
(But the limit of one multiclass would have to go)

I thought 4e multiclassing was crap. Utter crap.

However, oddly enough, I agree with your post. The implementation in 4e was just weaksauce, but the principle has some teeth. Generally 4e feats were POWA boosts to what you class actually did, but with multiclassing (had they got it right) you could have given up some of the primary class focus to diversify into the capabilities of another class.

So instead of feats being the icing on your class cake, you could have a second cake.

keterys

First Post
If they redid 4e multiclass feats nowadays, I think they'd either make all of the power swaps into a single feat for a swap of each type, or let you swap as part of the base multiclass feat. Obviously PMC is an utterly failed experiment.

That said, base multiclass feats in 4e are extraordinarily worthwhile to take. Class benefits and a skill trained is good stuff. It's actually surprisingly often worth taking a carefully cherrypicked power swap feat (ie, for the best and brightest power of your MC's class) but that level of optimization isn't what folks are looking for.

Li Shenron

Legend
It doesn't make any less sense than a Wizard coming back from an adventure and suddenly being able to cast new spells, despite no research or study. All level-ups have that problem unless they can only happen after a long period of training/study (which was the original design).

To me, it's all about letting people do it whatever way they want to.

For me the issue is more about campaign look & feel, let's call it CL&F. :p

The "training between levels" concept is not something that gamers should be divided between those who think it's true/right and those who think it's false/right. It's simply a CL&F matter: you can use it and enforce it in one campaign and totally ignore it in another, and the game can be just as fun. Each one is entitled to her preference, but there's no right or wrong. The point is to understand that the choice made will significantly change the look & feel of playing such campaign: for example, enforcing training rules will make every player spend more time thinking and planning about what their PCs are doing between adventures.

But "multiclassing" also it a CL&F matter, and within multiclassing we can consider "even multiclassing" and "class-dipping" separately as two different CL&F choices. Whatever choice a gaming group makes for the next campaign, it will tell a lot about how the world looks and feels. For example, no multiclassing will imply that learning the path of a class is generally hard and requires committment to the point that once you make your choice there is no going back, while class-dipping at the opposite side of the spectrum may suggest that in this world knowledge is easily accessible and skills are easily learned.

The concept of freedom is related but IMHO should be kept separate. That's another matter, to make a more general gaming choice about whether we want restrictions or not. But it has to be fully understood that while for a gaming group freedom really means freedom and yields to a more enjoyable gaming experience, to another group restrictions means more freedom (it might be hard to understand for those who are in the first group tho, but in a sense restrictions can help a lot making each campaign different when the gamers are otherwise not able to use their freedom to achieve the same and always end up with the kitchen sink).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...no multiclassing will imply that learning the path of a class is generally hard and requires committment to the point that once you make your choice there is no going back,

Or that there are significant racial, social, or religious pressures that impose such rigidity, like a caste system.

...while class-dipping at the opposite side of the spectrum may suggest that in this world knowledge is easily accessible and skills are easily learned.

Or that new paths are difficult enough to learn that few people have the commitment to go beyond the rudiments of what options are available with those new paths, like a Jeet Kune Do master who tries to only learn those martial skills from other fighting traditions that improve techniques he already has or fills in a gap.

If they redid 4e multiclass feats nowadays, I think they'd either make all of the power swaps into a single feat for a swap of each type, or let you swap as part of the base multiclass feat. Obviously PMC is an utterly failed experiment.

That said, base multiclass feats in 4e are extraordinarily worthwhile to take. Class benefits and a skill trained is good stuff. It's actually surprisingly often worth taking a carefully cherrypicked power swap feat (ie, for the best and brightest power of your MC's class) but that level of optimization isn't what folks are looking for.

I agree with this. The feats are quite good and if you just allow people to endlessly Power Swap (negotiated with DM, of course) after a second multi-class feat is chosen it goes a long way toward opening up archetype availability. It doesn't typically improve potency but rather just it diversifies repertoire mechanically and thematically...which is pretty much the point of multi-classing, isn't it? There will be some potent, thematic synergistic combos, that are ability score neutral, here and there but that has always been the case in multi-classing (and should be retained).

For my money, however, this was 3.x's greatest contribution. The ability to customize to archetype by way of the multi-class system was wonderful. Unfortunately, it had its (well-known...which I won't reiterate) drawbacks due to the schematics of the class and prestige class build-structure. If those drawbacks can be curtailed, then 3.x's multi-class rules would easily be my preference.

Remove ads