D&D 5E Multiclassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

D

dco

There is always time to learn what means whining, or perhaps you meant winning the discusion. :D
Still waiting for other reasons to multiclass.

Corwin

Explorer
? I commented on the OP, and a some other reples, that either state outright or imply that they believe mutliclassing is somehow connected to power gaming. We have proof of these assumptions in this very thread.
Well, with a plurality like that, I guess you've achieved science.

I then suggested that some of these assumptions may be formed from reading the Character Op forum ( or really, any optimization forum). That's it. So your replies are rather strange and indicate that you have consistantly miss this very point I have made.
I'm starting to get a clearer and clearer handle on what it is you were actually (trying to) say. When you used all those words like, "usually," "generally," and "often," you just meant WRT the minuscule portion of the gaming community that frequents online Optimization subforums.

And you have consistantly failed to read my repeated statements regarding my thoughts on multiclassing.
No, I read and understood them. All the claims that you were speaking for the 5e community at large and their reasons for doing things. It was received loud and clear. Multiple times. And let's not forget I haven't been the only one calling you on it.

Instead, you assume to know what my thoughts are on the matter. And you have made it clear that you know what they say about assumptions.
The irony. I shouldn't assume your thoughts or assumptions. But you are eager to do that of the entire gaming community.

And 'realise' is British English, tho if you felt the need to capitalize your Z in your reply for another reason than making a point, so be it.
Does "British English capitalize" have a different meaning as well? I didn't capitalize my Z. At least not "American capitalize".

Tbh, your replies all read as written by someone desperate to score 'points', which is fine but at least ensure you are engaging with what a poster is actully writing/ saying, rather than what you think - or assume - they are saying.
I'm not the only one taking you to task for trying to speak from a position of authority on the subject of why people multiclass and how it is perceived.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't concern myself with why players want to multiclass when I'm DM. I don't see it as any of my business.

I'm the Dungeon Flumphin' Master. There is no build you can make that I can't challenge.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
if someone can tell me a different reason to multiclass...

I'm not the person you were responding to, but since you were asking about non-powergame reasons to multiclass, here's something I wrote elsewhere in the thread. The summary is that multiclassing can really help expand the options to help create archetypical and iconic characters that we see regularly in fiction and in the genre but fall outside the scope and limitations of a single class.

---

My go-to visual aid for classes is like dropping coins on an index card. (Why an index card? It's geekier.) The area under the coins are concepts that can be mechanically realized with the classes. Sometimes coins end up overlapping and there is more than one class that can do a good job, such as an archer.

But there is also space between coins - if you can take from multiple coins you can build those concepts. A church inquisitor, a city urchin who ran away and was taken in my a kindly druid in the forest, the warrior who uses magic to help their fighting (oh look, there is also a subclass for that, so archetypes combining classes are a thing).

There's also space between the coins and the edge, which currently aren't covered by any classes. These are just concepts that don't fit well into D&D classes, but that's another point.

Basically, multiclassing can allow a lot of iconic concepts that don't fit well into the existing class structure. Literature is full of them.

Multiclassing also fulfills an additional role of allowing more flexibility to grow your character in response to the unfolding story of the campaign. When you pick a class at character creation, without multiclassing that's the only direction you can go with the most potent of your character growths - levelling. But what about the character who finds religion and takes cleric or paladin levels, or makes a dark pact after a near TPK and becomes a warlock.

Some examples of this in fiction would be "The Deeds of Paksenarrion", the best becoming-a-paladin series I've ever read hands down. More recently acclaimed is Patrick Rothfuss' "The Name of the Wind" and "Wise Man's Fear", where Kvothe starts as an actor / (non-caster) bard, becomes a street urchin rogue, picks up one of that world's type of magic (Sympathy), even later gains fae related powers as well as becoming an expert armed and unarmed combatant. As well as showing signs of picking up a completely different type of magic (Naming). To put him in D&D terms he's earned a lot of levels and gone back and forth in what he is studying. Heck, if classic Dragonlance was originally done with 5e rule set, Goldmoon was a barbarian princess well before she became a Cleric of the True Gods.

In conclusion, there are plenty of reasons to multiclass that have nothing to do with optimization

Caliban

Rules Monkey
There is always time to learn what means whining, or perhaps you meant winning the discusion. :D
Still waiting for other reasons to multiclass.

You seem to be under the impression that I was refuting your point. I wasn't - I was poking fun at your rather rude and biased way of referring to your players and people who posted "walls of text' - as if that made their point of view less worthwhile.

Your point is true enough, but rather useless. Of course you multiclass to gain the powers/abilities of another class. However, you may want those class abilities for powergaming reasons or RP reasons.

In fact - gaining powers/abilities is the reason you take a level in any class - your original or a different one. It's one of the main reasons we play D&D as opposed to free-form storytelling or acting- to gain powers and loot and do neat things with them.

We also play D&D to tell a story and create a character, but you don't need all the game mechanics, class levels, feats, XP points, etc to do that.

If you were in it purely for RP and no other reason you wouldn't need rulebooks and dice.

D

dco

I'm not the person you were responding to, but since you were asking about non-powergame reasons to multiclass, here's something I wrote elsewhere in the thread. The summary is that multiclassing can really help expand the options to help create archetypical and iconic characters that we see regularly in fiction and in the genre but fall outside the scope and limitations of a single class.

---

My go-to visual aid for classes is like dropping coins on an index card. (Why an index card? It's geekier.) The area under the coins are concepts that can be mechanically realized with the classes. Sometimes coins end up overlapping and there is more than one class that can do a good job, such as an archer.

But there is also space between coins - if you can take from multiple coins you can build those concepts. A church inquisitor, a city urchin who ran away and was taken in my a kindly druid in the forest, the warrior who uses magic to help their fighting (oh look, there is also a subclass for that, so archetypes combining classes are a thing).

There's also space between the coins and the edge, which currently aren't covered by any classes. These are just concepts that don't fit well into D&D classes, but that's another point.

Basically, multiclassing can allow a lot of iconic concepts that don't fit well into the existing class structure. Literature is full of them.

Multiclassing also fulfills an additional role of allowing more flexibility to grow your character in response to the unfolding story of the campaign. When you pick a class at character creation, without multiclassing that's the only direction you can go with the most potent of your character growths - levelling. But what about the character who finds religion and takes cleric or paladin levels, or makes a dark pact after a near TPK and becomes a warlock.

Some examples of this in fiction would be "The Deeds of Paksenarrion", the best becoming-a-paladin series I've ever read hands down. More recently acclaimed is Patrick Rothfuss' "The Name of the Wind" and "Wise Man's Fear", where Kvothe starts as an actor / (non-caster) bard, becomes a street urchin rogue, picks up one of that world's type of magic (Sympathy), even later gains fae related powers as well as becoming an expert armed and unarmed combatant. As well as showing signs of picking up a completely different type of magic (Naming). To put him in D&D terms he's earned a lot of levels and gone back and forth in what he is studying. Heck, if classic Dragonlance was originally done with 5e rule set, Goldmoon was a barbarian princess well before she became a Cleric of the True Gods.

In conclusion, there are plenty of reasons to multiclass that have nothing to do with optimization
I've not talked about optimization, I've said that the only reason is to pick powers, some will do it to optimize some combo and others because they don't like the classes as they are, it's all about the mechanics. From your examples, you don't need to change classes to make a pact with some entity in game, I could do it when the warlock didn't exist, you can change religions without becoming a priest, or be a priest without the cleric class, etc.

Personally I don't like the rule, in most of instances people won't be able to play the character or concept they want or they won't be able to do it until a certain number of game sessions because it is a class system with levels, that's the way how the system is built. If the game is giving these kind of problems I can use other systems, like True 20, Hero system, Savage Worlds, Basic roleplaying, ORE, Fate, etc better suited for the task at hand.

On the other hand I find that multiclassing can make characters lag behind, or it can bring a lot of super optimized mini combos for combat, I don't like it. The same way I don't like some feats and a lot of spells and things from other books, if I don't put a limit there is the possibility that I will have problems between the players when some feel they are behind or feel they also need to enter the race towards optimization, it wouldn't be the first time.

I also as a DM can not promise the players that we are going to play till X level, sometimes you don't have the time to prepare adventures, or feel bored, etc. This exacerbates the problem of lagging behind, suddenly the player who needed to reach a certain level to fulfill his concept could find that he played with one less attack, worse abilities, etc for nothing.

I'm fine if people prefer to allow multiclassing for their games, it's their choice, the problem is the ones who attack the messenger instead of the message, if you think differently you are a child, boring, a tyrant, a bad DM, etc, and that's pure idiocy.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
No, I read and understood them. All the claims that you were speaking for the 5e community at large and their reasons for doing things.

When have I claimed to talk for, '5e community at large'? My OP:

I'm not saying that MC is purely about power gaming. Though if you go to the optimization section of these forums, it's rare to see a single class, while there are many, many 'optimized' builds that rely on multi classing. So it's hardly suprising folks associate MC with players attempting to work the mechanics rather than the character/fluff.

Anyway, we don't do it because weeeeell... no need. KISS and all that. Much as you can wrap a story around a heavily optimized MC character, you can do the same for a SC class character - so we do. Saves on paperwork, and generally less bullshankery.

A comment regarding the existence of an association between MC and power gaming. I then offer a possible reason as to why, or more accurately, imply that a reading of the Character Op forums might contribute to supporting/making this assumption.

Do you deny that there are those that associate MC with power gaming? That this thread hasn't featured a fair few that have demonstrated this association? That the OP of this thread doesn't include:

I've never really allowed multiclassing...I view it as an excuse make ridiculously broke characters.

???

So you *assumed*. Do you realize what they say about assuming?

And you boldened your z of realise. Why did you do this, after I used the word 'realise' in my post?

Lets put a finer, more reasonable point on your assertion. You know, for those backseaters sitting with you:

*You* associate multiclassing with powergaming.

There. Now its at least accurate.

And look! Now you're accusing me of something which is simply not true.

Let's make this easy. My post is simple - it's not science and it's not meant to be. Here's the crib notes:

• Do you accept that there are those that associate MC with power gaming?

• Could some of the content on the Character Op forum lead them to this, or support this assumption?*

*I've included to examples in the spoiler below, examples that I believe might contribute to supporting assumption that MC is associated with power gaming.

[sblock]

Here's some posts from the Character Op forum, with some examples of the responses that suggest the poster MC.

Post title: Best dpr archer build using UA?
Example response: -battlemaster\ranger + war cleric
Example response:The cleric multiclass can also use bless to help with sharpshooter

Post title: [5e DM Help] Keeping the lid on... what builds should I NOT allow?
Example response: Personally, I would say none. But the fine print would also read that it has to make sense for the character and not be something that is just done for purely stat-boosting means. By that I mean something along the lines of a Fighter deciding he wants to take a couple levels of Paladin to get Divine Strike, but nothing in his character suggests that he would be Paladin material.

Example response: 2. Paladin/Sorcerer build is probably the most commonly used "power build", but even that is so reliant on Long Rests that it's not that bad. 3.Totem Barbarian 3/BM Fighter+. Honestly this build is only terrifyingly OP if you allow GWM. Without GWM, it's still the most potent general melee build but not that OP.

Post title: Death Cleric Build
Example Response: So, we start off with a level of fighter, for the Constitution proficiency, the fighting style and the Second Wind. You know, to get through level 1.

Post title: Druid Optimization request
Example response: 1 level of Life Domain cleric gives you super goodberries.

This is not about proving if, somehow, reading the Character Op forums will magically make someone believe that MC is connected to power gaming. This is not about proving that X, Y and Z is more powerful than A, B and Z. It is about exploring why some folks associate MC with power gaming, and showing that the Charater Op forum features posts that suggest the power of MC. For better or for worse, I believe that some folks will use this to either build on an assumption they have, or form one, regarding MC and Powergaming. I may be wrong, I may be right - what do we think?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
This thread is getting a little unfriendly.

Please keep it civil, everyone:

The rules said:
Keep it civil: Don't engage in personal attacks, name-calling, or blanket generalizations in your discussions. Say how you feel or what you think, but be careful about ascribing motives to the actions of others or telling others how they "should" think. People seeking to engage and discuss will find themselves asking questions, seeking clarifications, and describing their own opinion. People seeking to "win an argument" sometimes end up taking cheap shots, calling people names, and generally trying to indimidate others. My advice: don't try to win.
Here's a link to the rules.

If you have any questions, PM me.

--Darkness,
EN World moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases