Multiple vulnerabilities

Nichwee

First Post
I think he is suggesting no change to the ongoing type at all.

So if it was Ongoing Fire it still is, but thus ongoing untyped remains untyped.

Otherwise you can indeed change Ongoing Untyped to Ongoing Cold so it will stack with itself by using the weapon to change the Ongoing Untyped to Ongoing Cold alternately each turn - getting what should be non-stacking Ongiong Damage to stack with the Cold Version of itself.

Hence why he put forward a theoretical At-Will that did X Damage + Y Untyped Ongoing Damage. Imagine the following use (using an Action Point to Attack twice)
Attack 1: Activate Frost Weapon's Power
Do X Cold Damage + Y Cold Ongoing Damage
Attack 2: Deactivate Frost Weapon's Power
Do X Damage + Y Untyped Ongoing Damage
Net effect = 2X Damage + 2Y Ongoing Damage (with two saves needed to end it all)
VS
Attack 1: Activate Frost Weapon's Power
Do X Cold Damage + Y Untyped Ongoing Damage
Attack 2: Deactivate Frost Weapon's Power
Do X Damage + Y Untyped Ongoing Damage
Net effect = 2X Damage + Y Ongoing Damage (with one save needed to end it all)

I agree with the opinion that multiple vulnerabilities are such a corner case its rare for it to come up at all and if it does I'd just go with it. Once in a 100 fights it might happen. It probably will pretty much hose the monster, but there are a 100 other ways for paragon+ characters to hose monsters, so it isn't really going to matter much.

keterys

First Post
Fwiw, it probably comes up every fight if you have a Solar Enemy Wrath Invoker and/or a Lasting Frost anything.

In fact, I'd bet it's perfectly normal for a creature to have vulnerable 5 all, vulnerable 5 radiant, and vulnerable 5 cold in the first or second round of most combats with such a group :)

I find the thought that ongoing damage might not be converted by the 'all damage dealt is instead Fire/Cold/Radiant' type abilities. I'm pretty sure it is, but would be quite interested in a rules citation that proved otherwise.

And yes, that does mean you can double up on vulnerabilities. Also, auras, stances, and zones. Vulnerable Cold on a target in a Frostburn area, next to a Rain of Steel Frost Weapon fighter, etc.

Remove ads