Munch me a blaster character, please!

Looks like I'll have an extra week before I get to try these out. An old friend is in town so I'm skipping our 4E start session and going to hang out with her. We may throw together another game or play some board games.

From the sounds of it, the rest of the party is a warlock, wizard, and probably not a cleric. I haven't seen the actual characters but I'm familiar enough with the players that those are solid guesses.

On Puget Sound

First Post
So is that 2 wizards (including you), 1 warlock, and one not-cleric total? I foresee trouble ahead. You'll do great against minions, but enemy brutes and soldiers will murderize you without any tanks to hold them back; they have too many HP for you to kill them quickly, and hit too hard to afford not to. Try to persuade your notacleric to go warlord (with armor feats) or paladin (with perhaps the multiclass cleric feat; it doesn't mean you have to "be" a cleric).

The Sword 88

First Post
I personally reccomend a Tiefling with the following:

STR - 8
CON - 12
DEX - 12
INT - 20
WIS - 12
CHA - 12

Feat: Hellfire Blood

At will: scorching burst
magic missile
Encounter: burning hands
Daily: Flaming Sphere
Whatever

This way you can dish out the most possible fire damage. You will be able to grab Astral fire eventually plus it wont be any good to you until paragon tier anyway since it is a feat bonus which doesn't stack with hellfire blood so at lvl 11 when you get paragon the higher bonus from astral fire will kick in. So retrain a feat at lvl11 to get this feat(don't retrain the hellfire blood though since +1 to hit is huge still).

The downside here that you have to put your first 2 stat points into DEX that way at paragon you will have DEX 15 for arcane reach(take at lvl 11) and CHA 13 for spell focus(lvl 12). The other issue is the low WIS which hurts control spells but you said blaster and this guy has the highest possible to hit and damage you can have as a wizard. Sure some of these other wizards might be better at certain things but this guys is focused on blasting.

I gave you magic missle depsite not being AoE because it has long range and this gives you a tad of versatility since you can blast lots of stuff within close range or take single shots at double the range.

I reccomend you take toughness, leather armor and improved init as well in the heroic tier and possibly skill focus arcana to help with rituals.

Danceofmasks

First Post
I have a tiefling pyro build, but I went with leather armor proficiency at 1st, and hellfire blood at 2nd.
My statline is Str 8, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 13, Cha 12.
Start with staff mastery, and drop all stat bumps into int & wis (except at level 28).
Figured AC 18 is a slight bit more useful than offense at level 1.

My power choice is similar .. scorching burst, cloud of daggers, burning hands, flaming sphere + sleep.

Skills ... I just took all the int based ones.

Stat bump for spell focus is automatic at level 11.
Take second implement at 11th as well (retraining out a heroic tier feat).

Unlike The Sword 88, I do not think arcane reach is worth enough to lose wisdom over ..

The Sword 88

First Post
I would have taken leather at lvl 2 or 4 and toughness at the other one, not that that is big difference in our builds.

I think people are over rating wisdom for a wizard since only 3 spells use it: Cloud of daggers, thunderwave and confusion, none of which I would take with a blaster build (although they are good powers). Also the only Paragon path that uses wisdom is the Spellstorm mage, so if you want to be one of those then get some wisdom. Also the orb wizard uses wisdom very efffectively but as long as you are going to be a wand or staff wizard and not be a Spellstorm mage then wisdom is over rated. As for the will defense increase Danceofmasks build will end up having 3 more will defense than my build will whereas my build will allow you to project your close powers up to two squares away. Also the dex improves your init which is always good for a wizard. After getting to DEX 15, I would suggest putting the rest of your points into CON and grbiig hide armor and hide spec. That way your AC is 46(47 with a staff), which is about as high as it can get.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Not wizard. No damage.

Dwarf Infernal Warlock
Str10 Con20 Dex10 Int 15 Wis 12 Cha 8
Skills Religion, History, Insight, Thievery
Feat Skill Training:Stealth
At Wills Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke
Encounter Diabolic Grasp
Daily FLames of Phlegthos

Blow stuff up. Pump Con and Int. Eventually MC into Wizard to take Blood Mage Paragon Path.
Typical setup is Curse (minor), Attack (standard), Move and Stealth for Shadow Walk concealment and Combat Advantage next turn.

No depth all damage.

Well, we've managed to survive to 2nd level. So of course the 2 of us wizards have a question neither we nor the DM has an answer for.

The chart on page 29? says pick a Utility power.

The text on page 158? says choose 2 utility powers, and you can cast 1 per day.

So if I've understood this, it is essentially another Daily power. You get to choose 2 and just cast one per day. Is that correct or am I still not getting it?

bjorn2bwild

First Post
Well, we've managed to survive to 2nd level. So of course the 2 of us wizards have a question neither we nor the DM has an answer for.

The chart on page 29? says pick a Utility power.

The text on page 158? says choose 2 utility powers, and you can cast 1 per day.

So if I've understood this, it is essentially another Daily power. You get to choose 2 and just cast one per day. Is that correct or am I still not getting it?

Close. You get to choose two powers from the list of utility (2) powers. Then, each extended rest you are able to choose which one of those you're going to use until the next extended rest.

Some utility powers are not daily powers but are rather encounter powers.

So, if during an extended rest you choose an encounter utility (for level 2 that would be jump or shield), you get to use that utility as often as you would any other encounter power (until your next extended rest, wherupon you have your choice of switching it to your other utility power for that level).

Also, be aware that if you take the expanded spellbook feat, you'll get your choice of 1 of 3 powers for every daily level.

Last edited:

WalterKovacs

First Post
Close. You get to choose two powers from the list of utility (2) powers. Then, each extended rest you are able to choose which one of those you're going to use until the next extended rest.

Some utility powers are not daily powers but are rather encounter powers.

So, if during an extended rest you choose an encounter utility (for level 2 that would be jump or shield), you get to use that utility as often as you would any other encounter power (until your next extended rest, wherupon you have your choice of switching it to your other utility power for that level).

Also, be aware that if you take the expanded spellbook feat, you'll get your choice of 1 of 3 powers for every daily level.

Also that expanded spellbook does not increase the number of utility choices per level in the spellbook, only daily attack powers.

Remove ads