Music for Evil Cult Summons

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I've used some measure of low background music during sessions for about a year and a half or so now. But today was the first time I've used it more selectively.

This is the mid-level campaign, the first time I intended to throw a demon more powerful than planar cannonfodder like lemures since I've been focusing on undead. But we all know who the lord of the undead is and so I'd been drawing them into conflict with a group of cultists of Orcus. The players have gotten to really hate these cultists because I've been tossing atrocities left and right. Given them enough to know they were preparing for a powerful calling.

I kept the usual low-key stuff in the background. Then as they got into the final sanctum of the cultists I began to describe the scene playing out, and reached under the table to switch to the "summoning song." Dethklok (Awaken Mustakrakish) mixed over heavy Gregorian Chanting. The combination really seemed to set what followed better than the usual low-key stuff I'd been using.

So I figured it was worth a thread. Anybody else here have any favorite pieces of music specifically for setting the scene of a say powerful ceremonies, introducing a BBEG or other short targeted set-pieces like this? If so what was the effect you were going for and did it seem to work?

frankthedm

First Post
There was a band by the name of "Will" that may be near what you seek. Test listen first, 'Souls of the Valiant" should work. Thought i do think the music is worth having anyhow.

http://www.amazon.com/Word-Flesh-St...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211512600&sr=1-1

Metallica's Call of Ktulu might be worth considering. The build up of the song needs good timing to be effective though. Granted the song is VERY recognizable so that might be a dealbreaker.

Look through the various soundtracks for devil-related horror movies.

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. The PC's are always surprised when the monster jumps out as the pastoral sounds of pleasant journeys wash over them.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
HeavenShallBurn said:
I've used some measure of low background music during sessions for about a year and a half or so now. But today was the first time I've used it more selectively.

?

try the summoning of the Muse by Dead can Dance, or the roman music disc by Synaulia.

Herzog

Adventurer
Glass walls of limbo (dance mix) by Type O Negative.

It's ideal for this kind of thing, although it's a bit slow (change to something else for the real action)

I know from experience that some of the soundtracks from LOTR went very well with large scale battles on LARP events, don't know whether that would work with tabletop though.

Also, playing a hartbeat-soundtrack, barely audible, can really work for horror settings. Especially if the tempo increases slowly, it can really increase tention.

Herzog

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Have to say thanks for the advice. Following some recommendations here and in print Dragon I went and got some soundtracks and albums to use as background for sessions. But as I listen mostly to metal it means I miss out on some useful scene-setting music. This was one of those rare cases where my listening habits coincided with a scene.

Awaken Mustakrakish does seem to be a very good piece for a demon summoning though.

Remove ads