• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Musiclovers beware! [UPDATED!]

Zappo

Explorer
Notice that the "fix" simply makes the files visible. It doesn't remove the program. And clean removal is hard enough that most users would be forced to reinstall Windows; even the usual "boot in safe mode and delete the offending files" will simply break the OS.

Me, I don't buy music CDs anyway; they cost way too much and radio is good enough for me. But if I did, I would avoid like the plague those that don't have the familiar CD logo on them. Just in case, the first thing I do when I install a Windows computer is to disable autoplay.

If this isn't illegal, it ought to be.

Turanil

First Post
At first this sounded like an urban legend...

But if it is to be true, it's the second time I learn something unpleasant about Sony. So it's time for me to boycott anything Sony (not only CDs). In fact I emailed them I was going to do, on the url provided in some of the previous posts.

Psionicist said:
Also: Do not insert a Sony CD into your computer, or don't buy them.
I don't buy Music CDs anymore, but will remember that if I wanted to change my mind. Now a question : does SONY also sells DVDs??

Numion

First Post
I'm safe from this 100% - I never buy any CDs. My only mean of listening CDs is my computer, and I'm not taking a chance using bought CDs on it with possible wrecking copyprotection. Besides DLed mp3's are much less of a hassle - all the nice playlist functions and filetags in Winamp .. so much better than changing CDs in the drive.

eris404

Explorer
I feel like I dodged a bullet. I was going to buy a CD on Amazon a few months back, but one of the reviewers was mightily angry about the DRM "feature." Not wanting to deal with that, I bought and downloaded the album from iTunes.

Here's some questions I have about this technology though:

1. Does it say anywhere on the CD that the DRM exists?
2. When did Sony start this?
3. Does it extend to music purchased/downloaded online?

Having went through a nightmarish computer meltdown six months ago, I'm supremely paranoid about any new applications/technologies and I want to be forewarned. I don't want to accidentally download or buy anything that may cause me grief later on.

PS - on a tangent, if you use XP, I highly recommend the TweakUI utility mentioned earlier. It's very useful. :)

Arnwyn

First Post
The small bright light of this is that at least Sony DRM-protected CDs are marked right on the CD label.

I know that I always check CD labels, and refuse to buy anything marked as DRM-protected.

Numion

First Post
Arnwyn said:
The small bright light of this is that at least Sony DRM-protected CDs are marked right on the CD label.

I know that I always check CD labels, and refuse to buy anything marked as DRM-protected.

Funny thing though is that any DRM features have exactly 0% effect on the most important pirating venue - online sharing. Despite any copy protections, any CD is available before the release date. The only ones it affects are those who've actually paid for the music.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Psionicist
"Trying to pirate it"? The last time I checked the act of "trying to pirate" something was to not buy the CD but to download the contents from the Internet.

This only hurts those who insert the physical CD in their computer, regardless if they are trying to copy it or not.

[Whew, good to be back online; internet down for several days]

Well, people need to get the music from SOMEWHERE to be able to put it on the internet for other people to download.

As for the other stuff, since it apparently does harm innocent people much more than the people pirating it, I am against it. If they could find a program to screw over those pirating it without hurting the innocent people, that would be great, but unfortunately, it does seem that to them, it is only an inconvenience while it screws everyone else over. I suppose the whole trying to stop piracy/pirates working to continue it cycle will never end. It especially sucks for those caught in the middle.

Psionicist

Explorer
eris404 said:
1. Does it say anywhere on the CD that the DRM exists?
2. When did Sony start this?
3. Does it extend to music purchased/downloaded online?

1. It says the CD has "copy protection", but not what kind and it can damage your computer. Many CD:s already have copy protection and CD buyers are probably used to the less intrusive ones (such as the one you can overcome with a marker pen, it's not great content protection but it won't secretly install stuff on your computer).

2. I can't answer this but probably a few weeks ago.

3. Music downloaded online such as from iTunes already have some sort of copy protection, but it's "harmless" as it cannot in any way tamper in parts of the computer it doesn't belong.

World of Warcraft cheaters have already started abusing Sonys copy protection program to avoid being discovered by the game: http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/34

It's only a matter of time before real viruses and spyware (Sonys program is Spyware too, but you get the point) will abuse this.

Dog_Moon2003 said:
Well, people need to get the music from SOMEWHERE to be able to put it on the internet for other people to download.

The problem for everyone is almost all music, movies etc. you can download (illegally) online origin from so called "release groups" who already have contacts within labels and CD-pressing facilities. And even if they _don't_ get the music before you can buy it in store they have highly technical knowledge and can "rip" the music anyway. (There's a very interesting article about how the groups operate on Wikipedia and Wired Magazine)

I am beginning to think the record and movie industry don't use DRM or copy protection "to keep honest people honest", I think they are trying to remove rights we already have and charge money for it (such as rewinding and timeshifting. Heck, they are already doing this: check out the TV-forum).

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Psionicist
I am beginning to think the record and movie industry don't use DRM or copy protection "to keep honest people honest", I think they are trying to remove rights we already have and charge money for it (such as rewinding and timeshifting. Heck, they are already doing this: check out the TV-forum).

Wow, I'd heard that there was talk about doing this, but I hadn't realized that it had already been started. I couldn't find any thread speaking of it though, but I also don't have the Search function. Do you happen to have a link to one of them?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads