D&D 5E Musings on Adventure Structure

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm splitting this off from the discussion in its original thread because this is a topic interesting to me - and likely others - and would otherwise be easily missed. We'd just been discussing the structure of the original 3E "Adventure Path" - beginning with The Sunless Citadel and ending with Lord of the Iron Fortress. I'd mentioned that the some of the adventures were utterly stand-alone, while others had hints and links to the threats to come...

So, basically pretty similar to, say, OotA, but less "themed," and spread over a number of books that end up costing more?

The answer to that question - and it's one I've spent a bit of time thinking about - is "no".

However, it's a fascinating question, and worth delving into further.

Out of the Abyss is basically two adventures. The first half is "Escape from the Underdark", the second half is "Stop the Demon Lords". As such, the first half is a selection of locations and situations to explore, always hoping that the next stop will be the way home. One of my major problems with OotA is that the first half doesn't have an ending except "the DM gets tired and wants to move things along". (Or, for the really dedicated DMs, the adventure runs out of material).

The second half of OotA is "Defeat the Demon Lords" and is a major quest structure with a lot of subquests. Find A. This leads to B. That requires you to find C, D & E. Once you've got the components, you fight F, and the adventure ends.

The superficial similarity that "you find out about the threat in the first half and fight it in the second half" falls down quite a bit when you realise that the Sunken City path doesn't present the threat as a threat. Rather, it's just tales about long-ago evils; there's no idea that they may be relevant until they suddenly appear in later adventures. The players in OotA, however, are being shown that something's very wrong in the Underdark - again and again and again.

One of the unusual features of OotA is that, unlike most adventure paths (that aren't set all in the same city) is that you have a chance to revisit the locations you visited in the first half, to see how things went there... though this isn't a major part of the adventure, alas. (Is there an adventure that uses this as a major feature? I'm minded of the high concept behind "The Ark" in Doctor Who, however disappointingly it may be realised...)

The structure of the Sunless Citadel path reminds me most of the structure of many late-1E and 2E campaigns: one where the DM would throw together a bunch of unrelated published adventures because they looked fun. Certainly, this is a style that I've played in and employed (many times), with a few adventures hinting it at a later threat, because the DM has looked ahead and seen what the later adventures will hold. The design is "standalone first, connections later" rather than what later became standard through Paizo's Adventure Paths. Each adventure is very much an island onto itself - you can pick up any adventure and happily run it without caring what came before. Although it's possible to pick up a Paizo AP adventure and run it alone, you do feel the fact that the other adventures are missing.

So, when I ran my original 3E campaign, we started with The Sunless Citadel, moved through the next couple of adventures, and then wandered off into adventures of my own design - only coming back for a dip into Deep Horizon. And I'm not even sure it was the same campaign... for most of the last 16 years, I've been running 2 (or 3) campaigns, sometimes on a weekly basis. And Deep Horizon happily didn't reference anything else in the other adventures.

Now, let's have a look at Paizo's Adventure Paths, and the problem they're now experiencing. The problem isn't that they're bad or repetitive (although both could be true), but rather that the periodical release of the adventures - plus the underlying system - causes them to be relatively linear in form. One of the features I encountered when running 3E (over many, many sessions) is that two or three levels gained makes the monsters that were a challenge at the original level now utterly under-powered at the new levels. This is quite unlike how most of 5E plays - it takes a lot longer for monsters to become nonthreatening.

So this has a particular effect on adventure design: each section of an adventure must be set for a particular narrow set of levels. Once you exceed those levels, you need to proceed to the next section lest things get dull. When you add the adventure paths being published as six chunks, the adventure thus has a straight line pointing in the way to proceed.

Now consider the Wizards adventures. Of them, only one could be published as a Paizo Adventure Path - and that's the Tyranny of Dragons duology. (Even that does interesting things with the form, but it is the most linear and could be broken into more chunks if necessary).

Every other adventure presents an adventure environment. SKT comes closest to the Paizo form - but could you imagine Paizo printing an AP installment where you only use 1/5th of the adventure and ignore the other parts? That's the structure of the Giant Strongholds in SKT. Strahd and Princes are major sandboxes, only really presentable in a single-volume form, and OotA goes major sandbox in the first half, before wandering into a more traditional quest structure (while still allowing the DM and players the ability to go sandboxing if they really feel like it...)

The "bounded accuracy" of 5E makes these sandbox/environment adventures far more interesting than in 3E; the various locations stay relevant for a larger range of levels.

One of the reasons I've been so excited about the 5E adventures is because they're trying new things in their form, something aided by their presentation as single hardcover adventures. They don't all appeal to everyone, but there are new things being tried, and we're seeing a lot of exploration of the possibilities of adventure design and presentation.

Cheers!

I much prefer the way 5E releases these. Very jaded with PF APS. I still like PF so the system isn't the issue
By there very nature APs are very rail roady and there usefulness falls away as the party level. Even at higher levels many dnd monsters stay a threat so they are perfect for the more sandbox nature of most of the 5E mega adventures

CapnZapp

Legend
One of my major problems with OotA is that the first half doesn't have an ending except "the DM gets tired and wants to move things along". (Or, for the really dedicated DMs, the adventure runs out of material).
FWIW, I didn't have this experience.

I read OotA's first half as a nice self-contained adventure with a definite ending. It's just open to which order to visit the various locales in, and where to put the ending. I didn't get tired at all; about at fourth level it made sense to decide on a particular spot for the ending that happened three levels later or so.

To me, OotA's first half wasn't aimless or vague or "endingless" at all.

CapnZapp

Legend
One of the reasons I've been so excited about the 5E adventures is because they're trying new things in their form, something aided by their presentation as single hardcover adventures. They don't all appeal to everyone, but there are new things being tried, and we're seeing a lot of exploration of the possibilities of adventure design and presentation.
My problem is the lack of variety.

If d20 was mostly standalone modules, and PF is all adventure paths, 5E is all single mega adventures.

None of these approaches is wrong, except how each era picked just one format and kept to it.

What we need now from WotC is not yet another single mega adventure, since that's all we've been given so far.

Now is the time to publish a big book that contains half a dozen separate adventures; either stringed together as an adventure path PF-style or completely separate d20-style.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My problem is the lack of variety.

If d20 was mostly standalone modules, and PF is all adventure paths, 5E is all single mega adventures.

PF is not all adventure paths. They have a *lot* of stand-alone adventures. They've almost stopped doing them because (dah dah dah!) they're horrible to market and sell. (And there are 3rd party publishers doing them as well)

5th edition has a huge number of short adventures. Just not published by Wizards.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
5th edition has a huge number of short adventures. Just not published by Wizards.

There are a bunch published by Wizards, too, for that matter, so the "but I can't use it in AL" complaint doesn't hold up either.

And this is maybe the 3,530,647th time all of these things have been pointed out.

Sammael

Adventurer
FWIW, I've never run a PF adventure path, though I've read several and own the two they released in compiled form (Runelords and Crimson Throne). The problem I have with adventure paths is that they require players to buy into the whole storyline and leave too little space for customization and porting. There is also usually too much focus on non-optional dungeon crawling, and not only do I dislike dungeon crawls - I have a player who positively cannot stand to spend more than 2 sessions playing a dungeon.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
There are a lot of idea out there and I'm enjoying the way Wizards is releasing adventure paths- they feel like an event, like each year is an expansion for an MMO like World of Warcraft, you get new content to run characters through and new stories, and even new character options. I like that the AL stuff even functions as side stories with the same theming, if you wanted you could essentially play the forgotten realms like a world progressing through each stage as you make heroes and play through each new adventure path, watchign the world change all the while.

A compilation of shorter adventures is risky, because i think part of the appeal is the ability to market a theme to the buyer of the Campaign. One option, would be to release a book that does revolve around a consistent theme, t's just that there's not much the players can do to confront the primary threat, it's more dispersed and the common thread is simply the catalyst for seperate adventures. Anyone else remember the Chaos Scar series of adventures from a few years ago- from what I remember there's no ending the threat posed by the chaos scar directly, instead it was just a series of plots involved with the basic concept.

But even then, there would be something dissatisfying about playing through all that content without structure- what if there was a book that was like that, but also had an overarching plot in the form of the players participation in a guild? The individual missions might not represent a lot of continuity (perfect for slotting into other games, or as one shots or whatever) but when played as a campaign, there might be a neat campaign where the players uncover lost secrets about their own founders and stuff, with each adventure holding a fragment of the story that reveals the guild founders were responsible, as a party, for what caused the current situation of the chaos scar or whatever, what made the area so dangerous in the first place was their screw up, the guild exists to atone.

One of the intense high end adventures would have some variant options to include that would essentially make it the capstone if they're being run as full campaign. I'd say that would be an awesome module to run, use the adventures individually (the foreshadowing elements just become flavor or whatever) or as a campaign (where the plot is hidden in each adventure for the players to uncover as they enjoy the variety.)

Remove ads