Mutants and Masterminds essentials?

First Post
I'm thinking about starting a 'superheroes' campaign both because it sounds fun and because some of my friends (some of whom have no previous role-playing experience) have said they'd play in something like that.

From what I've been told, Mutants and Masterminds is the system of choice for this. I've checked out the beginner's guide pdf and it looks cool. My question now is - which books should I look into picking up? Obviously, there's the core rulebook. What else? Is the Mastermind's Manual interesting? Does the Ultimate Power book open up a lot of new options?

Just looking for opinions since I'm brand new to M&M. Thanks!

Last edited:

Harmon

First Post
The Core book is all you really need, unless you have some disposable coinage then you can check out some of that other stuff, but I would get two Core books for a starter campaign, just to have an extra floating about.

Its a sweet game, I have a lot of love hate with it.

Oh, and it is the Comic Book game. Try to keep that in mind while you are playing/gming.

Good luck.

lior_shapira

Explorer
I also believe the core rules are all you need (At least at first). I do suggest picking up a copy or two of the Pocket Player's Guide. Its very cheap (~15$) and is a great resource for players, containing all the rules without the "boring" GM stuff :) .

lior

Thanee

First Post
As they said, the core rules got all you need.

Other than that, I would recommend the Masterminds Manual and Ultimate Power for additional options.

Bye
Thanee

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I think that Ultimate Power "completes" the core rules. everything else is well-one, and pretty inspirational...but it's optional.

Precisely. The core book is all that is needed but Ultimate Power goes a long way to building on powers, clarifying powers and showing you a lot of options with the basic power set. It is not needed but it adds a lot.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Freedom City is a great resource for seeing how characters are built and gives you several ready-made villains as well as heroic allies (or villains if you wish).

Ultimate Power complements the core rulebook very well, offering options and expanding on the hows and whys of the powers. It's not a '101 new powers for your game!' book. It has maybe 2 actually new powers in it; the others are really re-named combinations or aspects of existing powers to help you get your head around effects-based power creation. (Just like some of the existing powers in the core book; Friction Control is really just Snare with an Extra and a Flaw). It's helpful but I wouldn't see anything as a necessity.

Bretbo

First Post
I'd also like to recommend Instant Superheroes, a resource with a bunch of pre-made starting-level characters. Not essential, still very useful for players who want to play a given type of hero but who don't want to take the time to stat one up (or don't feel up to the challenge). And despite the title its' very useful for instant supervillains as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases