Mutants & Masterminds 3 preview art

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
He's not the developer; Jon L. is (I can never spell his name right from memory). SK stepped down as dev, IIRC. Maybe he got tired of doing it, or needed/wanted more time to write games & books rather than just develop others' work.

I'm glad they're expanding the FC universe; I'm going to have to pick up M&M 3e, even though I'm fairly certain we won't be leaving 2e.
Jon Leitheusser. I'm very excited that they brought him in as the lead designer... I think he'll do a fine job. Disclaimer: I knew him in college and we did a lot of gaming together, so I'm biased.

--Steve
Edit: Aus Snow is correct: he's listed as Line Developer.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Jon Leitheusser. I'm very excited that they brought him in as the lead designer...
Writing and Design: Steve Kenson.

Even looked it up, just to make sure I wasn't totally off there.

Developer != Designer.

And personally, I'm exceedingly glad it's Steven Kenson doing the majority of the game design work. No-one else has what it takes, IMO. YMMV, etc.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Writing and Design: Steve Kenson.

Even looked it up, just to make sure I wasn't totally off there.

Developer != Designer.

And personally, I'm exceedingly glad it's Steven Kenson doing the majority of the game design work. No-one else has what it takes, IMO. YMMV, etc.

See my edit above: you're correct. And I agree: Steve is a fellow member of the "order of the Steves" so he gets tremendous respect from me.

As someone who knows a little of Jon's design experience, I can honestly say you'd be safe either way, but as you say: keeping the same name on a new edition is a good thing!

Sorry for the confusion.

--Steve

Aus_Snow

First Post
as you say: keeping the same name on a new edition is a good thing!
Oh no, that's not what I meant at all. :) Actually, I just have a lot of respect for him as a game designer. Therefore, I think it's in good hands. Not familiar with Jon Leitheusser (previously, anyhow) for example.

Sorry for the confusion.
Eh. Doubt it'll worry anyone, if I'm anything to go by. ;) The only reason I might've seemed a bit exasperated, is because I posted basically the same thing only a few posts back. :p

But anyway, between the current designer, developer, and other team members, it all seems to be going very well, so I'm pretty confident all 'round. :cool: Not sure what the response in terms of sales has been, but in other ways at least, my impression is that it's a win.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
As I pointed out in atomic think tank there's a whole lot of marvel in thse designs. Visually Rocky is Rockslide from the New X-men (original design minus the texture) and is even wearing his hellion biker shorts.

Sadly any large yellow x is derivative of X-men uniform designs.

Kid robot's design looks familier..

coyote6

Adventurer
I hope Valiant Comics doesn't see that Ultrmarine.

Valiant comics had "Armorines" and if you painted the M&M one gold it would be a near perfect match. :uhoh:

Valiant Entertainment: Universe - Armorines (Team)

I don't they're any closer to each other than either is to a whole bunch of other power armor types (in particular, the red-and-gold Iron Man). They both have faceplates, but they are different sizes and shapes, and M&M already has the Paladin armor from Lockdown with the faceplates.

The Green Adam

First Post
Bleh!

I love M&M but these characters are so visually uninteresting. I'm reminded of the various incarnations of the Champions teams in the RPG of the same name.

Ultramarine is Defender. Mongrel is Jaguar. Rocky is Obsidian (actually Obsidian would be Rocky crossed with Xeno I suppose).

For a game as flexible and amazing as M&M 3E these guys seem really run-of-the-mill.

What happened to the Freedom League? I would much rather have seen and updated version of them.

AD
Barking Alien

coyote6

Adventurer
Eh, I'm not too concerned. They were concept sketches, so the final art might be more awesome. And some of 'em are fine, to me.

My problem is that Ultramarine is almost identical to a concept I've had for years -- woman in aquatic power armor. If she's part Atlantean, or has a sorcerous cousin . . . ;)

The Freedom League has never been statted in the M&M core book. 1e was all Super Unicorn's META-4 characters, stats and art. 2e had generic archetypes statted up, though the art was Freedom City characters mixed in with generics (I think it was mostly FC stuff). I'm not sure how much (if any) of the 2e art was recycled from 1e books, though.

I'm sure the Freedom League will show up when they get around to doing a Freedom City 3e book.

My question about the League is -- who's in it? It'll be 2011 or 2012 before the book comes out, so the current Raven will have been Raven for more than 20 years, which I think is nearly twice as long as her dad was Raven. She's at the age professional athletes start to decline . . .

No one in Next Gen is in school any more (Bowman will be pushing 30!), and everyone in the Atom Family is all grown up. I think even the most of the Alterniteens will be past graduation age, if not outright past their teens.

That might have something to do with the new characters, too -- FC's "real time" nature means that the League's gotta change. (This is why Marvel & DC have those compressed timelines -- dumb, in continuity terms, but handy for not having to retire your favorite characters 'cause they're all getting too old.)

Edit: And part 3 of the preview is up.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases