Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

coyote6

Adventurer
Games that only use one type of die... eventually end up annoying me. :( I have all those loney polyhedrons looking up at me saying... Whyy... whyyy won't you roll me? Just once... c'mon... The d4 is like, don't you wanna know what it would be like to get a random number say between 1 and 4? Then the d12 is all like, now you know how I feel all the time jerks... and the other ones all start laughing...

This never happens to you?

This is why you play more than one game.

Play M&M to exercise your d20, then play Savage Worlds to exercise the d4, d6, d8, d10, and d12, then, if the d10s in SW isn't enough, maybe try some Call of Cthulhu/Runequest/BRP to work out the percentile dice.

Scribble

First Post
This is why you play more than one game.

Play M&M to exercise your d20, then play Savage Worlds to exercise the d4, d6, d8, d10, and d12, then, if the d10s in SW isn't enough, maybe try some Call of Cthulhu/Runequest/BRP to work out the percentile dice.

At the same time?

Man... I hardly have enough time/brain power to play one game at a time. :confused:

Sammael

Adventurer
Will it actually be balanced this time?

One time we tried a M&M campaign, the GM ran away screaming because one of the players made a totally unbalanced character that he had no way of challenging. OTOH, I constantly tweaked my character (with the GM's permission), and he was still virtually unplayable even after 3 revisions.

Treebore

First Post

One time we tried a M&M campaign, the GM ran away screaming because one of the players made a totally unbalanced character that he had no way of challenging. OTOH, I constantly tweaked my character (with the GM's permission), and he was still virtually unplayable even after 3 revisions.

???

I would say your group failed to follow some critical base line rules for that to happen. Like having everyone be the same PL. Start your first game at PL 10, or even lower, etc....

Follow the rules and every character is playable, and able to be challenged.

coyote6

Adventurer

My favorite way of challenging busted characters is, "Hey, your character doesn't work well for me; here's why ... Can we fix it?" Or more specifically, "A completely undetectable incorporeal psionic who can mind blast people from two continents away -- and does -- is not an appropriate character for this game. Sorry." Or, for my buddies, "This is your character? Hey, grab that GM's screen there; yeah, that hefty one. Smack yourself upside the head." ;)

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Well, looks like its time to upgrade. I hope the rest of the group doesn't mind.

So is Silver Age the last 2ed book? I hope they are quick with the conversion guide, because I have a metric ton of 2E stuff.

pawsplay

Hero
It feels... soonish, but it does need an art upgrade, the archetypes need to be more like the ones in the Instant heroes book, and Ultimate Powers changed the game. In addition to random goodies, the "container" concept from UP really helped clarify how some powers would work, and I like replacing insta-kill effects with the graded approach introduced in UP. So I think I'm feeling pretty positive about this.

Elric

First Post
There are a lot of potential balance issues in M&M 2e.

See Paragon's excellent thread on balance issues in the PL system (read the first two posts, and the examples linked at the end of the second post, in particular), which is the best discussion of its kind on the official M&M boards (though quite long).

It's hard to avoid if you want a relatively easy to use system that allows for the flexibility to model superheroes, as M&M does very well. I doubt 3e will have particularly good balance in this regard (though there will likely be improvements from 2e) because of the nature of the tradeoffs involved.

Balance issues can be quite problematic in the wrong group. Anecdote: Out of four M&M 2e groups I've been in for a decent length of time (one as GM; 3 as a player), there was one where I felt the character balance was a real concern. Usually problems that may come up were handled pretty easily at the player/group-GM level.

Remove ads