• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

{Mutants & Masterminds} United Heroes Limited Series

Insight

Adventurer
Issue #10 - "Chaos"

Note: there are only two scenes in this final issue. The first (and the longest by far) is the big battle, four battles in one. The second will be coming up after the battle, more like a prologue.

Enjoy!

-Barracuda vs. Torpedo-

Note: The majority of the dialogue in this combat is in the Atlantean language -- editor.

Torpedo stood in the cavern housing the massive Chaos Engine. He marveled at the sheer size of the mechanical beast, and wondered how he could perhaps destroy it before Trickster and his cronies had a chance to use it.

Just then, Barracuda stepped into his line of sight. "Well, well," he said. "Looks like someone's lost!"

"Barracuda," Torpedo replied. "For the Honor of Atlantis, you cannot be a party to Trickster's foul plans!"

"Don't get in my way, Markandorim," Barracuda warned. "It could get messy."

{Initiative: Barracuda gets 8 and Torpedo gets 17. Torpedo goes first, and then Barracuda.}

***** Round One *****

I'd better wait to see what he does, Torpedo thought. Barracuda can be tricky sometimes.

{Torpedo holds his action. He will now go after Barracuda until he refocuses.}

"Fool," Barracuda raged. "This time, I will destroy you for your interference!"

He ran roughshod into Torpedo, tackling the Atlantean hero, and sending both of them into the sea behind the cave opening.

{Barracuda Bull-rushes Torpedo. It's opposed STR rolls by both. Barracuda gets 18 and Torpedo gets 14. Barracuda goes with Torpedo, and they both fly back 20' into the water.}

They sank together through the depths. Though Barracuda was hanging on tight, Torpedo managed to get a few rabbit punches in on the way down. Eventually, the villain let go, and both combatants settled to the bottom, a slight distance separating them.

{On the way down, Torpedo attack Barracuda (DEF 13) and hits with 27. Barracuda gets a Damage save (DC 18), but fails with 16. Barracuda takes a Stun Hit.}

***** Round Two *****

"Ah, this is more like it," Barracuda said. "The sea is our home, Markandorim, and this should be the setting for our final battle. The heralds will sing of such a titanic struggle. All over Atlantis, they will be praising me as the victor, perhaps even at your funeral!"

Barracuda lunged forward, crashing into Torpedo, sending the hero sprawling, but unharmed.

"You'll have to try harder than that, Barracuda," Torpedo replied. "The heralds aren't going to be impressed with such an obvious maneuver."

{Barracuda uses Underwater Combat to add +1 to his Attack Rolls. Using Power Attack, he adds +3 to Damage while taking a -3 penalty on Attack Rolls. Since he landed 10' away from Torpedo, he charges the hero (DEF 21), but misses with 13. Using Move-By Attack, Barracuda travels another 40'.}

With unnatural speed, Torpedo swam right at Barracuda and struck him across the jaw with a magically-enhanced fist, causing the villain's head to turn a bit.

Barracuda laughed. "Not bad," he said.

{Torpedo uses Underwater Combat to add +1 to his Defense. He charges 40' at Barracuda (DEF 13) and hits with 27. Barracuda gets a Damage save (DC 18), and succeeds with 19.}

***** Round Three *****

"You have never defeated me, Torpedo," Barracuda said. "Why break the streak now?"

Raising both hands, Barracuda mentally commanded the plants of the sea to rise up and grab Torpedo's ankles. As he felt the plants moving, Torpedo rushed out of the way.

"Clever," Torpedo said in response.

{Barracuda is still using Power Attack (+3/-3). As a half action, he uses Plant Control to try to Snare Torpedo. His target does not notice the sea plants beneath this feet, so no attack roll is necessary. Torpedo gets a Reflex save (DC 15) against the Snare, and succeeds with 19. As his other half action, Barracuda swims 40'.}

Torpedo swam right at Barracuda, and struck him with an elbow to the midsection. Again, the Atlantean villain was unfazed.

{Torpedo, as a half action, swims 40'. He then attacks Barracuda (DEF 15) and hits with 22. Barracuda gets a Damage save (DC 18), and succeeds with 19 -- no effect.}

Next Up, Lodestone & Trickster vs. Seraphim!

Insight

Adventurer
Issue #10 - "Chaos" (Continued)

-Lodestone & Trickster vs. Seraphim-

Stats for the Chaos Engine
Size: Gargantuan (50' tall, 100,000 lbs.); Movement: Immobile; DEF 1; Hardness: 12; Armor: 5.
Note: Since the Chaos Engine is immobile, melee attacks against it are at +4.

Lodestone and Seraphim appeared ready to square off in mid-air above the mountain summit. As they did, Trickster scrambled to get away from the scene of violence. Besides, Trickster had more important things to do.

{Initiative: Trickster gets 21, Lodestone gets 8, and Seraphim gets 20. The order will be Trickster, Seraphim, and then Lodestone.}

***** Round One *****

"How about you just go away, hm?" Trickster suggested, concentrating on contacting and then controlling Seraphim's mind. Something prevented Trickster from achieving control, however.

"Such parlor tricks may work on the common man or perhaps your villainous minions," Seraphim replied, "You will need far more than you have at your disposal to control me, Trickster!"

"Very well," Trickster retorted. "Lodestone, why don't you keep our friend company while I tend to some last-minute errands?"

{Trickster uses a Free Action for Leadership. He assigns +2 to his Defense (against Seraphim) from Dodge. Trickster attempt to use Mind Control on Seraphim. His ranks in Mind Control (5) are less than Seraphim's Mental Defense, so nothing happens.}

The angelic hero covered himself in divine energy and then dove at Lodestone, slashing at the rocky villain with his sword. Lodestone dodged aside and Seraphim missed the blow.

"Mind that thing, Seraphim," Trickster yelled from his position of safety. "It's rather sharp. You could put an eye out..."

{Seraphim uses a Free Action to turn on his Force Field. Using Aerial Combat, he assigns a +1 to his Defense. He swoops down 40' next to Lodestone, and then attacks Lodestone (DEF 16), but misses with 14.}

I can't allow this winged fool to attack Trickster, Lodestone considered, and flew back to protect his leader.

{Lodestone flies 50' to cover Trickster.}

***** Round Two *****

"Oh, dear," Trickster said. "Lodestone, don't bring the fight to me. I have things to do."

He cocked an eyebrow at Seraphim, who was waiting for something. "This machine will destroy everything you hold dear, hero," Trickster said. "You have no chance to defeat me now. The moment for action is gone. You have failed!" The villain cackled with glee.

"It is you who have failed, villain!" Seraphim replied. "Do not bore me with endless warnings and threats. As long as I still breathe, there is always a chance. You will fail, have faith in that!"

Maybe he's right, Trickster realized. He seems... powerful. Maybe too powerful. I can't use my illusions on him, or my mind control. The master criminal ducked behind some trees. "Get him, Lodestone!"

{Trickster uses a Free Action for Leadership. As a Half Action, he tries to Taunt Seraphim. The hero opposes with his own Taunt. Trickster's check result is 15, but Seraphim opposes with 30. Trickster is instead taunted, and runs behind some trees.}

{Seraphim holds his action. He will now act after Lodestone in the initiative order.}

Lodestone again took flight, concentrating on the flying hero. He detected metals on Seraphim that perhaps the villain could use to his advantage. Especially that sword...

As the rocky villain closed, Seraphim drew back the Sword of Truth to lay waste to Lodestone, but the villain stopped just short and put out a hand, almost beckoning Seraphim to come forward.

"You should not test me," Seraphim cautioned. "I --" Seraphim's speech was cut short when he felt the Sword of Truth get yanked from his hand. "It cannot be," he said.

Lodestone caught the weapon. "Oh, it can."

{Lodestone uses a Free Action to Detect Ferrous Metals on Seraphim. He notes that the Sword of Truth is composed of ferrous materials. Lodestone spends a Half Action to fly 30' closer to Seraphim, and then uses his Telekinesis to try to snatch Seraphim's weapon. Lodestone's Telekinesis check will oppose Seraphim's Strength check. Lodestone's result is 27 against Seraphim's total of 19. Lodestone takes the Sword of Truth.}

Feeling desperation, Seraphim charged straight at Lodestone, blasting the magnetic villain across the jaw. Lodestone flinched a bit, but simply smiled in response. "Hmm, not so tough without your pig-sticker, I see," Lodestone said in response to the attack.

{Seraphim charges 20' at Lodestone (DEF 16) and hits with 19. Lodestone gets a Damage save (DC 19) and succeeds with 29 for no effect.}

***** Round Three *****

"Keep him busy," Trickster urged as he produced a small silver remote control. From the mouth of madness, he mused as he pressed a button on the control.

The mountain rumbled, and a huge hole opened in the very top. The grinding of gears and the whine of hydraulics told of something huge being elevated. As Trickster watched and backed away from the scene, the Chaos Engine itself rose through the mountain, and ended up sticking right out of the mountaintop.

"Ha ha!" Trickster chirped. "Victory is near!"

Seraphim, seeing the Chaos Engine rise into position, grew concerned. That cannot be good.

{Trickster uses a Free Action for Leadership. Using a remote control, Trickster raises the Chaos Engine to the top of the mountain.}

Lodestone took the opportunity of distraction to fly to the top of the Chaos Engine. "Hey, over here," he yelled.

Seraphim looked, and saw Lodestone blast him with magnetic energy. The angelic hero had just enough time to dodge the attack.

{Lodestone flies 30' away from Seraphim as a Half Action, lands on the Chaos Engine, and then blasts Seraphim (DEF 22) with his Energy Blast, missing with 19.}

Swooping up to the top of the Chaos Engine, Seraphim was determined to regain his cherished weapon. "That sword is not meant for your evil hands," he said.

Seraphim swiped at Lodestone, trying to grab the Sword of Truth, but Lodestone's hands were a tad quicker. "Oh no, my friend," Lodestone said in response. "I've got plans for this baby."

{Seraphim flies 30' to Lodestone and tries to regain his weapon. This is a Disarm attempt, so both foes make opposed Attack Rolls. Lodestone gets 18 against Seraphim's 16. Lodestone retains the weapon.}

Next Up, Cyber-Knight, the Duchess, Fang, and the Atlantean Soldiers vs. Acrobat Ace, Electrostatic, Puncture Proof, and the Scoundrel!

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer

-Cyber-Knight, the Duchess, Fang, and the Atlantean Soldiers vs. Acrobat Ace, Electrostatic, Puncture Proof, and the Scoundrel-

"So, heroes," the Duchess said. "I see you have survived the journey back from Pandemonium. That's too bad, because now we'll have to kill you..."

Acrobat Ace spoke up. "Listen, lady, I don't know who you are, but --"

"Oh, you'll learn soon enough," the Duchess interjected.

"Enough talk," Cyber-Knight barked as he drew his Vibrosword.

{Initiative: Acrobat Ace gets 26, Cyber-Knight gets 8, the Duchess gets 4, Electrostatic gets 33, Fang gets 10, Puncture Proof gets 13, the Scoundrel gets 28, and the Atlantean Soldiers get 5. The order will be Acrobat Ace, Electrostatic, the Scoundrel, Puncture Proof, Fang, Cyber-Knight, the Soldiers, and the Duchess.}

{Note: Of the 20 Atlantean Soldiers, 2 are Captains (PL 3) and 18 are Soldiers (PL 2). They are all Minions.}

***** Round One *****

Yow, there are lot of guys with guns, Acrobat Ace realized. Hmm, I wish I knew more about these villains' capabilities.

"OK, here's the plan," he announced to his allies. Electrostatic, you and Scoundrel take those groups of gun-toters there and there," he instructed, pointing out each group. "Luther, you and I have got some super-villains to crunch."

"Amen to that," Puncture Proof replied, taking to the air.

Meanwhile, Acrobat Ace drew two razor-sharp metal rings from his belt and hurled them with great accuracy at the bestial Fang. One blade hit the mark, drawing a cry from the villain.

{Acrobat Ace assigns a +1 dodge bonus to DEF vs. all foes (Dodge feat). He uses a Free Action on Leadership. Taking a 5' step, Acrobat Ace uses Rapid Shot to toss two Razor-Rings at Fang (FF DEF 16), hitting once with 17, and missing once with 12. Since Fang is flat-footed, he can't use Evasion, so it's a Damage save (DC 24). This is an Impossible Save since his Damage save bonus is +3, but he rolls a natural 20 for the save and only takes a Stun Hit.}

"As the lady said, let's get this party started," Electrostatic said, charging forward to meet the Atlantean soldiers. "You look like the leader," he said to the captain leading that particular group of soldiers. "Too bad." Electrostatic blasted the villainous fish-man with electrical energy, but the captain resisted.

"Tougher than you look, huh?"

{Electrostatic assigns a +1 dodge bonus to his DEF vs. all Foes (Dodge feat). As a Free Action, he turns on his Energy Field. Electrostatic moves 40' toward one group of Atlantean Soldiers as a Half Action. He fires his Energy Blast at the Atlantean Captain (DEF 13) and hits with 25. The Captain gets a Damage save (DC 21) and succeeds with 23 for no effect.}

The Scoundrel turned towards his assigned foes and drew his glowing Hellfire Pistols, their barrels already smoking. He fired at the closest soldier, dropping the Atlantean in his tracks. The Scoundrel thought to blow off the barrel to be cool, but thought better of the idea.

{The Scoundrel assigns a +1 dodge bonus to his DEF vs. all foes (Dodge feat). As a Half Action, he draws his two Hellfire Pistols. He fires one at a Soldier (DEF 12) and hits with 16. The Soldier gets a Damage save (DC 19) but fails with 11. There are now 17 Soldiers left.}

"Cyber-Knight," Puncture Proof said. "I had hoped you would have reformed yourself by now, old friend. I hate to have to face you again."

"Thine words bringeth me no comfort, traitor," Cyber-Knight replied.

Puncture Proof flew a little closer, but wanted to see what the villains might try, so he hovered in place near the top of a tree.

{Puncture Proof assigns a +1 dodge bonus to his DEF (Aerial Combat). He flies 50' as a Half Action, 20' vertically and 30' horizontally. Puncture Proof takes no further action.}

Fang, already smarting from Acrobat Ace's Razor-Ring to the temple, growled and leapt toward his attacker, trying to bite Acrobat Ace, but the agile hero shifted aside and jumped out of the way, landing on one hand, and then bouncing back to his feet a short distance away.

"Gee, furry," Acrobat Ace replied. "Ever see a dentist? One you didn't eat anyway?"

{Fang assigns a +1 dodge bonus to DEF vs. all foes (Dodge feat). The villain gets a Will save (DC 20) to avoid going berserk, and succeeds with 20. He leaps 40' to Acrobat Ace as a Half Action. Fang claws at Acrobat Ace (DEF 31) and misses with 19.}

"Another vainglorious fool," Cyber-Knight said, charging forward on his mechanical steed toward Acrobat Ace. "I remember thee," the villain remarked as he swung his Vibrosword violently yet inaccurately. "Thine curses still ring in mine ears."

As he rolled aside and popped to his feet, Acrobat Ace smiled. "I didn't know you had ears, metal-face."

{Cyber-Knight rides 45' toward Acrobat Ace as a Half Action. Cyber-Knight swings his Vibrosword at Acrobat Ace (DEF 31), but misses with 21.}

The captains, speaking in the Atlantean tongue, ordered the soldiers into position, and the Atlanteans opened fire on both Electrostatic and the Scoundrel with their Rocket Rifles, sending dozens of tiny red rockets flying everywhere.

"Was it something I said?" Electrostatic asked sarcastically as he jumped aside to avoid the rockets.

{The Atlantean Soldiers near Electrostatic move 15' toward the hero as a Half Action, and then fire their Rocket Rifles, all missing (highest result was 20). The group near the Scoundrel move 30' toward the hero as a Half Action and then fire their Rocket Rifles, all missing (highest result was 20).}

Two new heroes, the Duchess realized. Trickster said they were old enemies of his. I wonder how powerful they might be.

{The Duchess refocuses this round. Her new Initiative is 21, and will slot in between the Scoundrel and Puncture Proof.}

***** Round Two *****

"Keep at them, guys," Acrobat Ace suggested as he spun backwards and let loose a barrage of razor-rings in his general area. The tiny blades simply bounced and clanked off Cyber-Knight's armor, but Fang wasn't so lucky, and took one right in the abdomen.

{Acrobat Ace takes a 5' step back. He uses a Free Action for Leadership. Using a Half Action, he activates Spinning and uses Blade Storm to fire off an area effect of Razor-Rings. Cyber-Knight and Fang are within the affected area, and get Reflex saves (DC 19) for half damage. Cyber-Knight succeeds with 19, and Fang fails with 11. Cyber-Knight ignores the effect since his Protection (+7) is more than the halved damage bonus (+5). Fang gets a Damage save (DC 24), and fails with 18. Fang takes a Stun Hit and is Stunned.}

"You can't shoot what you can't aim at," Electrostatic remarked, as he ran right past the group of soldiers, zapping one of them with his energy blast, dropping the soldier to the grass.

There are a lot of these guys, Electrostatic realized. I need to get them in a bad tactical position. Perhaps that tree...

{Electrostatic uses a Half Action to run around the Soldiers. He fires his Energy Blast at a Soldier (DEF 12) and hits with 34. The Soldier gets a Damage save (DC 20) and fails with 18. There are now 16 Soldiers left.}

Though no one could detect it beneath his mask, the Scoundrel smiled, blasting two Atlantean soldiers with his Hellfire Pistols, dropping both men where they stood.

He backed away, knowing that it would be very bad to get surrounded. The Scoundrel operated much better with a little room to manuever.

{The Scoundrel takes a 5' step and fires his Hellfire Pistols at two Soldiers (DEf 12), hitting with 22 and 31. Both Soldiers get Damage saves (DC 19) and both fail with 18 and 7. There are now 14 Soldiers left.}

"Destroy them, every last one of them," the Duchess commanded as she moved forward toward the front lines. The flying Puncture Proof was the closest hero, and seemed to be a good target for her special... charms. "Cyber-Knight, come here," she commanded.

Puncture Proof, seeing the Duchess come forward, was astonished at her brazenness.

She gazed right at him, with a look that might shatter a man's soul. "You come here as well, hero," she commanded. "I have plans for you!"

{The Duchess uses a Free Action for Leadership. As a Half Action, she runs 30' toward Puncture Proof. She attempts Mind Control on the flying hero. Her Mind Control check of 22 is opposed by Puncture Proof's Will save of 23. The attempt fails.}

Puncture Proof felt the vampire's grip on his mind, and barely resisted her. Perhaps he could play along anyway. "Yes," he said, landing next to a tree that stood between himself and the Duchess.

After he landed, as the Duchess looked away to observe the field of battle, Puncture Proof ripped the tree out of the ground and held it like a baseball bat.

"I'm here," he announced. "Didja want something?" he asked, brandishing the tree. "Cause I've got something for ya!"

{Puncture Proof flies down 20' to land as a Half Action. He rips a tree out of the ground as his other Half Action. The tree has a Hardness of 5 and a Reach of 3 squares or 15'.}

{Fang recovers from being Stunned.}

"Tis a trick most foul," Cyber-Knight yelled, and charged the tree-wielding hero, blasting Puncture Proof across the back and sending the hero sprawling some 15 feet way. As he flew, however, Puncture Proof managed to hang onto the tree.

He resisted my mind control, the Duchess realized. And tried to fool me as well. Clever... Maybe too clever.

{Cyber-Knight charges 15' at Puncture Proof (DEF 14) and hits with 21. Puncture Proof gets a Damage save (DC 22) and fails with 19. Puncture Proof takes a Stun Hit and is knocked back 15'. He gets a Reflex save (DC 15) to hang onto the tree, and succeeds with 23. Using Move-By Attack, Cyber-Knight moves another 35' after the attack.}

Despite their utter lack of accuracy, the Atlanteans continued pouring it on, firing salvo after salvo of rockets at both Electrostatic and the Scoundrel. The heroes were almost amused at how easily they sidestepped the rockets.

"Maybe you should just give up now," Electrostatic suggested. "Before things get ugly."

{The Atlantean Soldiers reposition themselves as Half Actions. A Captain and 8 Soldiers fire at Electrostatic (DEF 30) and all miss (highest result was 18). A Captain and 6 Soldiers fire at the Scoundrel (DEF 29) and all miss (highest result was 16).}

***** Round Three *****

Acrobat Ace saw Puncture Proof get pummeled by Cyber-Knight, and also saw that the vampire was closing in as well. Watch out, buddy.

"You don't give up, do ya, red?" Acrobat Ace asked as he dodged Fang's claws. "I used to know a good manicurist. Do want her number?"

The hero produced two more razor-rings and deftly winged them at the bestial villain, but both missed.

"What? I never miss!"

Fang smiled in response, his grin glistening with saliva.

{Acrobat Ace uses a Free Action for Leadership. He takes a 5' step and uses Rapid Shot to throw two Razor-Rings at Fang (DEF 20), but both miss with 15 and 19.}

Electrostatic jumped and spun around to avoid more rockets. "If I'm not careful, you guys might actually hit me someday."

He fires off a lightning bolt that decked another soldier. He then ducked behind a large oak tree for cover. "Ha ha," he taunted. "Can't see me!"

{Electrostatic fires his Energy Blast at a Soldier (DEF 12) and hits with 23. The Soldier gets a Damage save (DC 20) but fails with 18. There are now 13 Soldiers left. As his other Half Action, Electrostatic moves 20' to get behind a tree.}

Are we wasting too much time and effort on these worthless soldiers? the Scoundrel wondered as he pasted two more with his Hellfire Pistols. Our new allies are tough, but how tough?

{The Scoundrel takes a 5' step back, and then fires his twin Hellfire Pistols at two Soldiers (DEF 12), hitting both times with 16. The Soldiers get Damage saves (DC 19) and both fail with 16 and 4. There are now 11 Soldiers left.}

"Quite a brave move, hero," The Duchess commented. "Had Cyber-Knight not seem through your ruse, you might have survived to swing that tree at me. But it seems fate is not going to be kind to you today." She concentrated on Puncture Proof, and he met her gaze, his will melting quickly.

"Now, destroy those costumed fools over there," she commanded, indicating Acrobat Ace, Electrostatic, and the Scoundrel.

Something made Puncture Proof resist this command, and so he just stood there for a moment.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" the Duchess demanded.

{The Duchess uses a Free Action for Leadership. He takes a 5' step and again tries Mind Control on Puncture Proof. Her Mind Control check of 17 is opposed by Puncture Proof's Will save of 9. He spends a Hero Point to re-roll and this time gets 17. It ties, so the one with the highest WIS (the Duchess) wins. The Duchess now has control of Puncture Proof. She commands him to attack Acrobat Ace. She needs to make a Mind Control check (DC 19), but fails with 13. She spends a Villain Point to re-roll, and gets 18, still failing.}

Since the Duchess' orders said nothing about Cyber-Knight, Puncture Proof turned to his one-time ally and flew straight at the mounted villain, batting him with the tree, destroying it in the process in a thunderous blow that nearly took Cyber-Knight off his steed. After the attack, Puncture Proof kept flying, and turned to see that Cyber-Knight was till upright, barely even harmed by the tree.

{Puncture Proof uses Power Attack to add +3 to damage and subtract -3 from attack rolls. He charges 30' at Cyber-Knight (DEF 14) and hits with 33, nailing the villain with the tree. Cyber-Knight gets a Damage save (DC 20) and succeeds with 30. The tree is destroyed. Using Move-By Attack, Puncture Proof moves another 30' after the attack.}

Fang growled and jumped at Acrobat Ace, claws bared. It was obvious that Fang was now enraged with fury and would probably not listen to reason. Acrobat Ace barely got out of the way in time to avoid Fang's claws.

{Fang regenerates a Stun Hit. He needs another Will save (DC 20) to avoid going Berserk and fails with 8. He takes a 5' step and attacks Acrobat Ace (DEF 31), missing with 21.}

"Keep thy shrubbery to thyself," Cyber-Knight commanded, as he charged toward the hovering Puncture Proof. He swung his Vibrosword, and the weapon struck true, stabbing Puncture Proof in mid-torso, but the blade did not penetrate.

Puncture Proof laughed in response. "See, my name's Puncture Proof for a reason, Knight."

{Cyber-Knight uses Power Attack to add +3 to damage and subtract -3 from attack rolls. He charges Puncture Proof (DEF 12) and hits with 17. Puncture Proof gets a Damage save (DC 25) and succeeds with 26. Using Move-By Attack, Cyber-Knight moves another 25'.}

The soldiers continued their assault on Electrostatic and the Scoundrel. Both heroes spent quite a bit of energy dodging rockets and such, but were still uninjured.

{The Atlantean Soldiers move into position to get flanking bonuses on Electrostatic and the Scoundrel. A Captain and 7 Soldiers fire at Electrostatic (DEF 30) and all miss (highest result was 18). A Captain and 3 Soldiers fire at the Scoundrel (DEF 29). Three miss, but one of the Soldiers hit with natural 20. No chance for a Critical Hit (since their attack bonus is too low to confirm), but the Scoundrel gets a Reflex save (DC 20) against the attack (Evasion) and fails with 17. He spends a Hero Point to re-roll and this time gets 25 for no effect.}

Next Up, Bombardier, Mana, Surge, and the Atlantean Soldiers vs. Harpy, Iron Dragon, MorningStar, and Pathfinder!

Tokiwong

First Post
This is just awesome... qick question, was Scoundrel inspired by Mister Mystery, the mask wearing hero with two guns in the M&M book appearing in the Super Unicorn universe setting :)

I may have gotten the name wrong, but just look at page 170 of the Mutants & Masterminds book to see what I mean :)

Insight

Adventurer
The Scoundrel -> Mr. Mystery?

Eh, sort of I guess. Actually, he's kind of a cross between Indiana Jones and the Shadow in my mind. You'll see more about the Scoundrel (including an illustration) in the upcoming United Heroes Origins limited series, coming soon!

- editor

Insight

Adventurer
Sorry for the Delay!

The last battle is a big one, and it's taking me a little longer than I anticipated to get it played out so I can post the final of the first 3-round segment. It also has 40 MINIONS! I hope my readers can understand why this battle might take a little while to play out.

Anyway, I promise to have something posted this week.

-- editor

Insight

Adventurer

-Bombardier, Mana, Surge, and Atlantean Soldiers vs. Harpy, Iron Dragon, MorningStar, and Pathfinder-

"Are you kidding me?" Iron Dragon demanded, taking in the scene before him. "Where did all these guys come from?"

"I'd say Atlantis," Harpy replied.

"Surrender now," Bombardier offered. "We might let you live..."

{Initiative: Bombardier gets 14, Mana gets 16, Surge gets 27, and the Atlanteans get 15. Harpy gets 22, Iron Dragon gets 25, MorningStar gets 16, and Pathfinder gets 18. The order will be: Surge, Iron Dragon, Harpy, Pathfinder, MorningStar, Mana, the Atlanteans, and Bombardier.}

{Note: Of the 40 Atlantean Soldiers, 4 are Captains (PL 3) and 36 are Soldiers (PL 2). They are all Minions.}

***** Round One *****

Surge buzzed with electrical energy. "Can't take a hint, huh?" he asked as he charged forward, crashing into Harpy, leader of the United Heroes. Harpy reeled from the blow, flying backward and nearly knocking herself unconscious against the side of the hydrofoil.

{Surge assigns +1 to his DEF from Dodge. With a Free Action, he activates his Force Field and then his Energy Field. He charges 100' at Harpy (DEF 15), but misses with 13. Surge spends a Villain Point to re-roll and this time gets 18, a hit. Harpy can't use Evasion since she's flat-footed, so she gets a Damage save (DC 18) and fails with 9. Harpy is Stunned and takes a Stun Hit. The Knockback sends her 15' into the hydrofoil.}

Concentrating, Iron Dragon focused his rage and anxiety into a tangible force and moved forward, confronting the villainous Surge. "There's a word for people like you, Surge," Iron Dragon said. "Dead meat." The Asian hero axe-kicked the electrical villain, blasting his foe across the chest.

Surge laughed as electrical energy crackled across Iron Dragon's foot and leg. "Does it hurt?" he asked.

Iron Dragon smiled. "Not really."

{Iron Dragon assigns a +1 to his DEF from Dodge. Using Power Attack, he assigns +3/-3 to damage/attack roll. His Concentration check (DC 20) to activate his Strike ability succeeds with 21. Iron Dragon uses a Half Action to move 25' to Surge and then kicks Surge (DEF 21) and hits with 29. Surge gets a Damage save (DC 28) and fails with 24. Surge takes a Stun Hit. Since Iron Dragon's Protection +6 is greater than Surge's Energy Field +5, Iron Dragon ignores the Energy Field.}

{Harpy recovers from being Stunned.}

Danger surrounds us, Pathfinder realized. If only Harpy were able to give us some guidance. The Native American hero looked briefly toward his fallen leader, then drew his high tech corssbow and deftly loaded it without even looking down. Pathfinder fired a warning shot toward a group of Atlantean Soldiers and then dropped back near Harpy, to protect her if need be.

{Pathfinder uses a Free Action to Quick Draw his SuperX Crossbow. He fires at the nearest Atlantean Soldier (DEF 12), but misses with 7. Pathfinder drops back 15' as his other Half Action.}

What the -- MorningStar thought as she caught the events unfolding behind her. Some scout I am! How did I miss them? The flying heroine made her way back toward her allies. She outstretched her arms and fire rained from the sky, torching a group of soldiers.

"Yeah," she announced. "I'm back."

{MorningStar assigns a +1 to DEF from Aerial Combat. She uses a Free Action to activate her Force Field and then flies 40' toward the scene of battle. MorningStar uses her area fire attack on a group of Atlantean Soldiers. The center Soldier (DEF 12) is hit with 15 and gets a Damage save (DC 20), failing with 18 and is Disabled. There are 13 Soldiers and 1 Captain within the area of effect. All get Reflex saves (DC 18) to halve the effect, of which only 4 Soldiers succeed. The Captain and 9 Soldiers get Damage saves (DC 20) and only the Captain and 1 Soldier succeed. All others are disabled. 4 Soldiers who made their initial Reflex save now get Damage saves (DC 16), but all fail and are Disabled. There are 4 Captains and 23 Soldiers remaining.}

That one is dangerous, Mana realized, seeing the flying heroine wipe out more than a dozen soldiers in one shot. Not as effective when she can't move, I imagine. Mana closed her eyes briefly, then incanted words of arcane power. MorningStar was caught in a sphere of purple energy, freezing her where she was in mid-air.

When this was done, Mana further observed the field of battle, then cast another spell to protect herself.

{Mana assigns +2 to her Defense against MorningStar from Dodge. She attempts to use Paralysis on MorningStar (DEF 21) and uses Luck to add to her attack roll, getting 22, which hits. MorningStar gets a Will save (DC 18) to resist, but fails with 13. Mana uses her other Half Action to move 30' and then a Free Action to activate her Force Field.}

Speaking in the Atlantean tongue, the soldiers organized themselves into coherent groups and concentrated fire at Pathfinder. The Native American hero found himself in the center of a huge barrage of rocket fire, but managed to evade it all.

That was close, he realized.

{The Atlantean Soldiers move into position as a Half Action. A group of 4 Soldiers Combine Fire at Pathfinder (DEf 18), but miss with 9. A group of 4 Soldier supporting a Captain Combine Fire at Pathfinder (DEf 18) and miss with 16.}

"Far too easy," Bombardier announced. "Soon, you'll be surrounded. Then what?" He saw MorningStar frozen inside a sphere of purple energy and falling toward the ground. Bombardier produced a Nega-Bomb from his pack and lobbed it at the falling heroine. The grenade exploded, but since MorningStar's force field was still engaged, did nothing to harm her.

"Hmph!" Bombardier added.

{Bombardier draws a Nega-Bomb as a Half Action and then throws it at MorningStar (DEF 13 due to Paralysis) and hits with 17. Since MorningStar's Force Field (still up) is +10, and greater than the Nega-Bomb's damage bonus of +8, MorningStar ignores the attack.}

***** Round Two *****

"Iron Dragon," Surge said. "The one and only. I like you. Too bad you're such a goody-two-shoes!" The electrical villain stopped in his tracks and lightning bolts shot from him, zapping Iron Dragon, Harpy, and Pathfinder. Iron Dragon easily stood up to the assault, but Harpy, who was still getting up, was caught unaware and had no time to avoid the blast. Pathfinder managed to get hit right in the middle of his magical breastplate, so he survived the lightning bolts.

{Surge uses Multi-Lightning, his area electrical attack. It is centered on the villain, and Iron Dragon, Harpy, and Pathfinder are all within the affected area, and all get Reflex saves (DC 18) to halve the effect. Iron Dragon gets 29, Harpy fails with 7, and Pathfinder fails with 12. Since Iron Dragon's Protection +8 is greater than the halved damage bonus of +4, Iron Dragon ignores the attack. Harpy gets a Damage save (DC 23) but fails with 7. She spends a Hero Point to re-roll and this time gets 18, so she only takes a Stun Hit. Pathfinder gets a Damage save (DC 17) and fails with 7. He also spends a Hero Point to re-roll, and this time succeeds with 17 for no effect.}

"Harpy!" Iron Dragon called out. I knew this was too dangerous a mission for her, he considered. Concentrating, Iron Dragon lashed out at Harpy's attacker, Surge, and swung at the villain's head, but could not land a blow.

"Careful now," Surge warned. "You might hit me."

{Iron Dragon makes a Concentration check (DC 20) to activate his Strike power, and succeeds with 25. Using Power Attack, he assigns +5/-5 to his damage/attack roll. Iron Dragon strikes Surge (DEF 23) but misses with 20.}

Harpy stood, using the side of the hydrofoil as a crutch. Did anyone get the license plate number of that truck with the lightning bolts coming out of it?

"Guys, we can't let the soldiers overwhelm us," she cautioned. "Pathfinder, you can handle them for now. The rest of you, concentrate on the supervillains."

Harpy looked right at Surge, who nearly knocked her out, and blasted the villain with psionic energy, surprising Surge.

"Aaaugh!" he yelled. "Get out of my head, lady!"

Just then, Harpy saw MorningStar falling to the ground, enveloped in mystical energy. MorningStar!

{Harpy assigns +1 to DEF from Dodge. She uses a Free Action for Leadership. Harpy uses Mental Blast on Surge (adj. DEF 17) and hits with 28. Surge gets a Damage Save (Mental) (DC 21) and fails with 12. Surge is Stunned and takes a Stun Hit. As her other Half Action, Harpy moves 30'.}

This one looks like a leader, Pathfinder reasoned as he fired a crossbow bolt, piercing the Atlantean's body armor and felling the foe.

{Pathfinder fires his crossbow at a Captain (DEF 14) and hits with 20. The Captain gets a Damage save (DC 18) but fails with 15. The Captain is Disabled. There are now 3 Captains and 23 Soldiers. As his other Half Action, Pathfinder moves 30'.}

MorningStar, paralyzed, crashed to the sand, unable to move. Luckily, her powers were still active, but she couldn't use her fire powers to help the other United Heroes. MorningStar could easily see that they needed her help. But how to break this spell?

{MorningStar falls to the ground, and gets a Will save (DC 18) to break the Paralysis, but fails with 12.}

Mana spoke a few words of power and blinked closer to the action. She held a hand high and green eldritch energy formed an energy blast, fired at Pathfinder, but missed wide of the mark.

{Mana uses a Half Action to Teleport 25'. She fires an Energy Blast at Pathfinder (DEF 18) but misses with 15. She spends a Free Action to reactivate her Force Field.}

The soldiers, despite the initial failures to even hit Pathfinder once, continued to move into organized group and used small unit tactics to even the odds a bit. This time, several rockets his Pathfinder, but his magical protections prevented any harm.

Praise the spirits for my armor, Pathfinder thought.

{The Atlantean Soldiers continue to move into firing positions. 2 groups of 4 Soldiers Combine Fire at Pathfinder (DEF 18), and one group misses with 9, but the other group hits with 18. Since Pathfinder's Protection of +5 is greater than the damage bonus of the Rocket Rifle (+3), Pathfinder ignores the attack.}

A bit away from the scene of battle, Bombardier closed in and drew a Neural Bomb from his pack. Now, who else wants to be paralyzed? Mana's not the only one who can do it. This battle could be over real quick!

{Bombardier uses a Half Action to draw a Neural Bomb and another Half Action to move 30'.}

***** Round Three *****

"That tears it, lady!" Surge said, standing up straight. "I'll deal with you in a minute. First, I've got some unfinished business with yer boyfriend here." Surge's body began to spin rapidly, and the villain lunged at Iron Dragon, a blow that would have struck home were it not for Iron Dragon's superior reflexes and combat instincts.

{Surge uses a Villain Point to recover instantly from being Stunned. He uses Free Actions to activate his Force Field and Energy Field. Surge uses a Half Action to activate his Spinning power, and then punches Iron Dragon (DEF 21), hitting with 21 exactly. Iron Dragon gets a Reflex save through Evasion (DC 18) and succeeds with 21 for no effect. Using Move-By Attack, Surge runs 40' after the attack.}

Is there anything Surge can't do? Iron Dragon wondered. He focused his thoughts in the moment, and drew strength from within. He ran straight at Surge, who had spun away momentarily, and jump kicked the villain, but Surge saw the move and simply evaded it.

{Iron Dragon makes a Concentration check (DC 20) to activate his Strike power, and succeeds with 31. Using Power Attack, he assigns +3/-3 to his damage/attack roll. Iron Dragon charges 30' at Surge (DEF 23) but misses with 15.}

"MorningStar's down!" Harpy called out. "Someone get over there and check on her," she commanded. But who exactly was free to do this? The heroes were all quite occupied.

Bombardier has always been trouble, Harpy thought. Maybe I can turn the tide in our favor...

Harpy looked Bombardier straight in the eyes, or where eyes would be in his helmet, and blew him a kiss, nearly taunting him and playing with him at the same time. "C'mon, Bombardier. You know you want to help me."

Bombardier, though distracted by the attempt, ignored Harpy's command.

{Harpy uses a Free Action for Leadership. She attempts to use Mind Control on Bombardier. Harpy's Mind Control check of 12 opposes Bombardier's Will Save of 19, and Bombardier wins, so no effect.}

Loading his crossbow again with little effort, a sign of both his skill and experience with his weapon of choice, Pathfinder shot at another captain, nailing the Atlantean in his gilled neck. The captain dropped like a sack of flour.

{Pathfinder fires his Crossbow at a Captain (DEF 14) and crits with natural 20. The Captain gets a Damage save (DC 23) and fails with 11, and is Disabled. There are now 2 Captains and 23 Soldiers remaining.}

I wish I could do something! MorningStar pined. She struggled to move, but the magic that held her in place did not give.

{MorningStar gets a Will save (DC 18) to break the Paralysis, but fails with 13.}

Harpy is the leader, Mana realized. Take her down, and the rest follow.

The sorceress drew upon her arcane powers and fired a greenish bolt of magical energy at Harpy, who was still busy with Bombardier. The blast knocked the wind out of the teenage heroine, but Harpy yet stood.

{Mana fires an Energy Blast at Harpy (DEF 19) adding her Luck bonus and hitting with 19. Harpy gets a Reflex save through Evasion (DC 24) and fails with 19, so she takes a Stun Hit. Mana uses a Free Action to reactivate her Force Field.}

The soldiers split their forces, with half of them heading toward Harpy and the other half focused on Iron Dragon. Both groups launched salvos of rockets. Harpy, who was already being assailed on multiple sides, could not avoid a few rockets and was nearly knocked from her feet. Iron Dragon, on the other hand, proved too elusive of a target for the soldiers.

{The Atlantean Soldiers continue to move into position. 2 groups of 4 Soldiers supporting 2 Captains Combine Fire at Harpy (DEF 19). One group misses with 12, but the other hits with 21. Harpy gets a Reflex save (DC 20) but fails with 18 and takes a Stun Hit. 3 groups of 5 Soldiers Combine Fire at Iron Dragon (DEF 19) but all miss.}

What is she trying to do? Bombardier wondered about Harpy. Mind control, perhaps? The villain tossed the Neural Bomb at Harpy, adding more items for her to dodge. The grenade hit at her feet, and when it exploded, assailed her senses. But the mentalist was stronger than Bombardier's technology, and felt none of the intended effects.

Interesting... Bombardier produced another item, a rather unique piece of equipment he referred to as the Zapper Bomb. But I've got other tricks up my sleeve.

{Bombardier throws his Neural Bomb at Harpy (DEF 19), hitting with 26. Harpy is the only one in the area of effect. Harpy gets a Will save (DC 12) and succeeds with 21 for no effect. Bombardier uses his Gadgets power to create a Zapper Bomb (Neutralize) and spends a Villain Point to ignore the fatigue.}

Next Up, Rounds 4-6 of Barracuda vs. Torpedo!

Remove ads