• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 My 3.5 House Rules Codex – Final

Malfi

Explorer
Really like most of what I see ( I have read almost everything bar most of the classes) and I am already thinking of a way to sell this to my players.

I do need some clarifications/confirmations regarding the hp.

In the first level you get your race hp and your class max hp?
So 1st level human fighter would have 8+10 18 hp?
And a 20 level human fighter 132?

Last edited:

nonsi256

Explorer
Close, but not exactly. You also forgot to add CON-score at 0 level.
(maybe the HP section needs a bit better wording)

A non classed commoner human with CON 15 yould have 8+15 = 23HP.
Each class level grants the average (rounded up) of its appropriate HD given by the RAW (6 for d10, 5 for d8, 4 for d6 and 3 for d4).

So if our commoner from above were to reach level 20 as a Warrior, he'd gain 120 more HP for a total of 146 (plus CON accumulation/enhancements).
If he had a HP-intensive agenda, he could take Toughness (see the Modified Feats in entry #2) up to 3 times by level 20, and gain 69 more HP, for a total of 215.

If you have any more questions, by all means, present them and I'll clarify.

Last edited:

Malfi

Explorer
Thanks for answering.

Seems ok, I am thinking that for the d4 classes, toughness will be a feat-tax, but personally I have no big issue with that.

Agan regarding hp. As far as I understand monsters gain max hp per hit dice plus their con modifier. Why does this happen? It seems unnecessary to increase monster hp.

nonsi256

Explorer
As far as I understand monsters gain max hp per hit dice plus their con modifier.
I don't remember ever stating that.
By the RAW monsters have the same HD variations (plus d12 for some). No reason why the same formula wouldn't be used for monsters as well.
If you have some innovative insight regarding how monsters' HP should be handled, you're rome than welcome to present it.

Last edited:

Malfi

Explorer
I don't remember ever stating that.
By the RAW monsters have the same HD variations (plus d12 for some). No reason why the same formula wouldn't be used for monsters as well.

Doesn't this "All creatures gain maximized HP according to their racial HD (either as given in the relevant Monster Manual or character races' HD - according to the Races' spoiler) plus their CON-score." mean that they get max hp for every HD plus their con modifier?

EDIT: Just noticed it says con-score. But "the maximised HP" is still confusing.

If you have some innovative insight regarding how monsters' HP should be handled, you're rome than welcome to present it.

I wish I had.
Anyway the only thing that slightly alarms me is that, the reduced hp might cause a problem even with the typical 3.5 monsters. That said the classes are maybe more powerful and certainly more flexible so I'll see how that plays out and then comment with my mind blowing insight :p .

Just another question. Do you think I should generally follow the wealth per level and treasure per encounter guidelines in the 3.5 core rulebook?
I am expecting the players to fight monsters of up to their CR+2 (very rarely 3) and that I will follow the book of gears suggestions (so no major magic items in shops etc.).

nonsi256

Explorer
Doesn't this "All creatures gain maximized HP according to their racial HD (either as given in the relevant Monster Manual or character races' HD - according to the Races' spoiler) plus their CON-score." mean that they get max hp for every HD plus their con modifier?

EDIT: Just noticed it says con-score. But "the maximised HP" is still confusing.
My bad. For a moment there I thought you were going for RAW-HR mesh (don't ask my why).

EDIT: Just as PCs gain max HP for their racial HD, so do monsters. This is the only thing that would still legitimize the term HD and the entire HD mechanics (losing that would have too great an impact on the game to even consider as an option).

I wish I had.
Anyway the only thing that slightly alarms me is that, the reduced hp might cause a problem even with the typical 3.5 monsters. That said the classes are maybe more powerful and certainly more flexible so I'll see how that plays out and then comment with my mind blowing insight :p .
1. All classes have built-in features that greatly aid their defensive capabilities.
2. The characters would have a lot of means, game-mechanics-wise, to utilize.
3. Go over the feats section once more.
4. There are quite a few official feats (Elusive Target being one of the more obvious) to aid increase survivability in combat.

Just another question. Do you think I should generally follow the wealth per level and treasure per encounter guidelines in the 3.5 core rulebook?
I am expecting the players to fight monsters of up to their CR+2 (very rarely 3) and that I will follow the book of gears suggestions (so no major magic items in shops etc.).
The last spoiler of entry #3 is there specifically to make you not care about WBL ([FONT=&quot]for the motivations, go to entry #1 – open the “Basically, I'm attempting to...” spoiler and go down to objective #7[/FONT]).
Accumulating magical gear was never a key objective of heroes or vilains in top grade folklore and it shouldn't be so in a top grade RPG (just imagine Aragorn walking about and with every other footstep something magical falls out of his pockets - ridiculous, aint it?).
Give the characters all the monetary wealth you feel like and make magical items' trade practically non existant. If they have to spend months or maybe even years on item creation (that could easily fail), they'll think really hard before making an attemt and maybe try to build a stronghold instead. You could also weave the storyline to make it next to impossible for them to spare the time for such long endeavors or acquire any necessary materials you might find appropriate.

Last edited:

Malfi

Explorer
My bad. For a moment there I thought you were going for RAW-HR mesh (don't ask my why).

EDIT: Just as PCs gain max HP for their racial HD, so do monsters. This is the only thing that would still legitimize the term HD and the entire HD mechanics (losing that would have too great an impact on the game to even consider as an option).

So that means that monsters without class levels have max hp, right?

1. All classes have built-in features that greatly aid their defensive capabilities.
2. The characters would have a lot of means, game-mechanics-wise, to utilize.
3. Go over the feats section once more.
4. There are quite a few official feats (Elusive Target being one of the more obvious) to aid increase survivability in combat.

I am slowly digesting the base classes and the feat section. I am actually building 10th level characters to read and understand both of them.

The last spoiler of entry #3 is there specifically to make you not care about WBL ([FONT=&quot]for the motivations, go to entry #1 – open the “Basically, I'm attempting to...” spoiler and go down to objective #7[/FONT]).
Accumulating magical gear was never a key objective of heroes or vilains in top grade folklore and it shouldn't be so in a top grade RPG (just imagine Aragorn walking about and with every other footstep something magical falls out of his pockets - ridiculous, aint it?).
Give the characters all the monetary wealth you feel like and make magical items' trade practically non existant. If they have to spend months or maybe even years on item creation (that could easily fail), they'll think really hard before making an attemt and maybe try to build a stronghold instead. You could also weave the storyline to make it next to impossible for them to spare the time for such long endeavors or acquire any necessary materials you might find appropriate.

Ok that seems to be the case, but on the same time players will still need some magic items to cut it out.
Now, I am wondering how much "some" will be. Hopefully it will be fewer than 3.5 though...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads