• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My 6-year old wants to play! Help :)

Emiricol

Been asked before, I know, but I don't have search, don't want to scroll back through three months of topics, and didn't pay much attention anyways. Now, however, my 6-year-old son wants to play D&D.

I am fully capable of deciding what *topics* I want my kid exposed to, etc. but could use some help in a few areas.

1) What should a character sheet look like? He can read some things, but he's at the 1st grade level.

2) What class? Fighter leaps to mind, but is that really the best choice?

3) How to handle task resolution?

4) How detailed a plot can six year olds keep straight? (Normal kids, anyway.)

5) Ideas to de-emphasize combat. My son has CP, and while his intelligence is probably actually a bit on the high side of the curve, he has difficulty walking. I've got him in Karate, which he loves, and have no problem at all telling him that sometimes, he's just going to have to fight back. Otoh, I want that to be a last resort, and the game will reflect that. Or should if I pull it off right.

These are the kinds of questions I could use help answering!

Psychotic Jim

First Post
To simplify the rules, you might want to try using that Introduction to D&D boxed set thingy that WotC put out. Basically a watered down version of D&D with simpler rules, less skills, etc. You only have to worry about low levels with it, too.

Emiricol said:
Been asked before, I know, but I don't have search, don't want to scroll back through three months of topics, and didn't pay much attention anyways. Now, however, my 6-year-old son wants to play D&D.

I am fully capable of deciding what *topics* I want my kid exposed to, etc. but could use some help in a few areas.

1) What should a character sheet look like? He can read some things, but he's at the 1st grade level.

2) What class? Fighter leaps to mind, but is that really the best choice?

3) How to handle task resolution?

4) How detailed a plot can six year olds keep straight? (Normal kids, anyway.)

5) Ideas to de-emphasize combat. My son has CP, and while his intelligence is probably actually a bit on the high side of the curve, he has difficulty walking. I've got him in Karate, which he loves, and have no problem at all telling him that sometimes, he's just going to have to fight back. Otoh, I want that to be a last resort, and the game will reflect that. Or should if I pull it off right.

These are the kinds of questions I could use help answering!

My six year old daughter was playing with us for a while (she stopped recently because we had fewer miniature based combats). However, in one session her character got a wish. She was getting all sorts of advice on how to use her one wish, like asking for a magic weapon or more power (xp). She just ignored all of these adults and asked for the location of the smith's boy who had been kidnapped in the previous session (some three weeks earlier IRL). Kids can follow pretty detailed plots, as long as the relationships and the events make sense from a kid's point of view. Watch some cartoons with your son. Borrow your plot features from there and he'll have no problem.

In terms of character class - kids get magic pretty easily and at six years old, he doesn't have to have the rules down pat, just the gist of the spells. My daughter used charm to wicked effect on more than one occasion. My advice though is to try rogue, fighter or sorceror (fewer spells to keep track of, no memorisation issues). These character classes correspond to the sorts of icons your son's probably familiar. Given that he's getting into karate, maybe a monk might work for him too.

The only other piece of advice I can think of is to be patient and realise that for a while (a long while) you'll have to walk him through the rules parts - but he'll probably surprise you with how well he can roleplay.

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
Here's what I do for my five year old... He's in kindergarten, so reading isn't super high.

First, I showed him the races, and let him pick his favorite (half-orc), then let him choose his class (barbarian). I walked him through character creation, explaining a little, but basically making a lot of the choices. We focus more on dungeon crawls when he plays, because he's mainly interested in the combat with miniatures. I'm looking forward to how well he'll do at six. (extra player, hurray!!!)

caudor

Adventurer
Psychotic Jim said:
To simplify the rules, you might want to try using that Introduction to D&D boxed set thingy that WotC put out. Basically a watered down version of D&D with simpler rules, less skills, etc. You only have to worry about low levels with it, too.

A second this suggestion; it is a good one. This is how I introduced my kids and they loved it. I should add that the boxed set is not expensive, and includes pre-made characters that they can choose from.

Have a great game!

Meek_Monkey1

First Post
I just want to say wow. I am very impressed with all of you. The exposure to DnD could be a great thing for your children at a young age. It might get them reading books at a young age.:) . Thats always good. It might also help with racial issues in the future. Elves, Dwarves... Black, white, asian, indian... you get my point. Hopefully your children want to play because they want to play and they weren't forced into it.

And to the guy with the child with CP... hopfully he wants to be in Karate because he wants to be and your not trying to live in the illusion that your child is like every one elses children, and you are forcing him into it. If your child is doing this because he wants to, then I must say that you have a gift on your hands . I'm sure your child is an amazing person.

Dave Blewer

First Post
My soon to be 5 year old son is expressing great interest in playing D&D at the moment - My 7 year old daughter is not so keen, but shows some interest.

I am thinking of putting together a small fairy tale based scenario in the new year where they can investigate why all the garden trolls have become litter trolls in the area (a silly story I have been making up for them in the evenings).

I will definately streamline the rules maybe reducing skills to a simple d20 roll against a DC with bonuses awarded depending on if they work as a team or attempt to describe what they do.

Character classes I will keep simple I think my daughter would enjoy having some magical powers (she has a fairy fixation) and my son is a Barbarian in real life :D

Provide plenty of magical healing! Dying is not fun

The CP angle:

I have CP and also have trouble walking and rubbish balance. I started playing when I was 11 and never wanted to play in a game (at that age) where combat was de-emphasised. Combat in D&D is abstract and superb fun. Trying to put myself in the the head of a six year old for a second... I guess that it is those superb evocative pictures in the MM that are the reason he wants to play. He wants to kill a dragon!

Although I was older, one of the things that I really loved about D&D in my youth is that is was one of the few past times where I was as good (if not better) than my fellows at playing. D&D is escapism pure and simple leave the moral life lessons to the WoD games :D

All this is from my (probably ignorant) point of view and experience, of course the situation with your son might be a totally different to mine, but I hope it has helped.

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
As a parent, I suffered with this question myself. I managed to put my son off until he was about 11 by playing many other games instead. My basic rule of thumb was to wait until the questioning of the existance of Santa Claus. In my ignorant, uninformed plan, I figured this is when he was able to clearly define the line between fantasy and reality.

He is 16 now, and is an excellent DM and player. I encourage gameplay in every home, but be aware of your child's ability to comprehend what he's involved in.

My daughter 12, has no interest in rpg's, but will murder you at M:TG.

Wee Jas

First Post
As a parent, I suffered with this question myself. I managed to put my son off until he was about 11 by playing many other games instead. My basic rule of thumb was to wait until the questioning of the existance of Santa Claus. In my ignorant, uninformed plan, I figured this is when he was able to clearly define the line between fantasy and reality.

I agree. My son is 10 and has expressed interest but I put him off. If he asks for it for x-mas or something some year maybe I'll get him the beginner set so he can learn with his friends.

Our group has a bunch of potty mouths and sick sick minds.. lol. They "slip" far to often when hes around as it is :D

I want to give the kid a chance not to be a total geek like his dad. It's not looking good... He trash talks while kicking my friends' butts at video games and I can hear him doing my haughty laugh. poor kid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads