• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Campaign - Opinions?

SurfMonkey01

First Post
I originally posted this over in the general forum, but I thought I'd drop it here as well...

** Disclaimer **
If you're one of my players, please cease reading this post now... Thank you
** End Disclaimer **

I'm currently running an Epic Level Forgotten Realms game... I've just finished writing out my little "outline" for the major plot of the campaign, as well as some of the major adventures and NPCs. I'd like some opinions, if anyone's up to it... I'm really proud of the ideas but nervous about how they'll excute. Let me know what you think.

Forgotten Realms campaign:
Draped in the Shadows of an Eternal Night

One of the most unholy alliances in the history of Faerun is about to make its move, and their actions will change the world forever…

Campaign Arc

The dark gods Cyric and Shar have joined forces. Together they intend to destroy Mystra, the guardian of the Weave. Once the Weave falls, many of the great nations of Faerun will be vulnerable to attack, and ripe for the taking.
Cyric and Shar have been working in secret for almost ten years now, moving key players into place and performing the major preparations for their plans. Chief among these preparations has been the corruption of Khelban “Blackstaff” Arunsun, one of the most powerful of Mystra’s Chosen. For over six years, they have invaded his dreams, planting subtle suggestions into his mind. Over these years, they have slowly begun to blacken both his heart and soul, and with each passing day his allegiances shift more and more towards his own inner Shadow. Once his corruption is complete, he will give himself completely over to his Shadow self. When this happens, he will betray Mystra and strike her down, leaving the Weave without a keeper.
Chief among the obstacles blocking this phase of the plan is Elminster the Sage, another of Mystra’s Chosen. As soon as Mystra is struck down, Elminster will be by her side and looking for vengeance on her betrayer, Khelban. Cyric and Shar are counting on this fact, for it will serve to keep one of their most powerful enemies out of the way while they implement the next phase of their plans. Even if Khelban should fall, it will not matter – he will have already served his purpose, and his defeat will be one less thing they have to deal with in the later stages of their plan.
Once the Weave is without a keeper, and with Khelban and Elminster’s attentions occupied, a combined army of Cyric’s Zhentarim warriors and Shar’s loyal Shades will lead an attack on the great nation of Cormyr. Using the Shadow gateway in the remains of Tilverton, these forces will be able to gain the additional advantage of surprise on their foes. Already weakened by their lack of a regent, the people of Cormyr will be even more vulnerable when all of their Weave-granted defenses fail them, making them an easy conquest for Cyric and Shar.
After Cormyr has fallen, the dark gods have different opinions about where they should go next… while Shar wants to keep Cyric on her side as long as possible in case the forces of good can somehow mount a counter-offensive, Cyric plans on betraying Shar and stealing both her and Mystra’s powers for himself as his earliest convenience.
These threats from within are not the only that this unholy union faces, however. Although unsure of Shar’s exact plans, Mystra knows that her newfound rival is planning something. She has conferred with Selune, Shar’s twin sister, to see what the keeper of the Shadow Weave might have planned. Much like Mystra, Selune knows that her dark twin is up to something, but has no idea what it may be. These two goddesses have chosen to pool their resources, sending their agents out to gather as much information as possible. Chief amongst these agents are members of the organization known as the Harpers, a group that spans across much of the continent. If there are any answers to be found, it will most likely be a Harper that finds them.
Shar’s rivals are not the only ones investigating current events, however. Tyr, one of Cyric’s most powerful foes, has been aggressively sending his agents out into the world to find out information about Cyric’s current schemes. Tyr’s resolve was only strengthened by a recent vision of Mystra’s fall. It was this vision that led him to cross paths with the keeper of the Weave and Selune. As Tyr delivered his dire portents to Mystra, she and Selune devised a plan to ensure that the Weave would continue on.
Years earlier, a girl was born to one of Mystra’s highest priests. This girl, named Elena, was prophesized to be the true successor to Mystra should she ever fall. Fearing that Shar or Cyric would hear of this girl and eliminate her, Selune arranged for her to be transported to a temple of Selune, where she was to live under an assumed name. Over the years, the girl began to blossom into a beautiful young woman and a powerful wizard.
Unfortunately for Faerun, Shar had managed to break several of her sister’s followers, who revealed the secret of Elena. After learning of the girl and her power, the dark gods began to slowly corrupt her as they have done with Khelban Arunson. Although the methods may be similar, however, the results are proving quite different. Being so much younger than the Blackstaff, Elena’s defenses are still weak. Her heart and soul began to blacken almost immediately, and her magic quickly began to warp to that of the Shadows. As Elena falls more and more to her inner Shadow, her appearance subtly alters; every step of her descent serves to darken her fiery red hair another slight shade, as well as drain a small amount of the color from her eyes. When her Shadow completely takes over, she eyes and hair will be black, like the darkest night – as shall her heart.
Not knowing of the corruption of Elena, the alliance of Mystra, Selune, and Tyr sees her as their last resort to protect the Weave. They are not content to sit by and wait for Cyric and Shar to make their moves, however. Rather, they have begun to “recruit” groups of adventurers, loyal to either themselves of other good-aligned deities, to both seek out further information on the dark gods’ plans and to stop them if at all possible. In order to keep these would-be heroes on the right track, the deities have been guiding them as much as possible, whether it be prophetic dreams or sending an agent to serve as a guide. Despite all of these preparations, Tyr especially fears the worst, and has begun to gather his armies and the armies of his allies in preparation for the battles he feels are soon to come.

In the end, all of the players involved in this drama know that, no matter what the outcome, the coming storm stands poised to change the face of Faerun for all time.

Players and Pawns (first 4 are the PC's)

Thoric Battlehammer – Dwarven wizard, follower of Azuth; hails from Mithril Hall
Shanna – Human sorceress; hails from Sembia
Waywocket – Gnomish cleric of Selune; hails from Aglarond
Arlin Veris – Elven bladesinger; hails from the isle of Evermeet
Elena – Prophesized successor to Mystra; slowly being corrupted by Cyric and Shar
Artemis Entreri & Jarlaxle – Current heads of the Shadow Thieves, looking to cement a power base in the new world order.
Davros Songsteel – Half-drow Spellfire wielder, possible son of Jarlaxle; looking for a place to belong in the world, easily swayed by dark forces
Link “Greyhand” Sharloe – Human wizard; one of the heroes who prevented Bane’s original attempt to return; forever altered by a fateful trip to the negative energy plane… now his mind and body are warped and twisted, and he is quite possibly mad. Knows more about both sides’ plans in the coming conflict, but plans to hold all of his cards until his personal reward is the greatest.
Drake Brecca – Human cleric of Tyr; another of the heroes who prevented Bane’s initial attempt to return to life; high priest of Tyr… one of Tyr’s chief agents, instrumental in both investigating coming events and preparing to fight back

Paths of Adventure

Candlekeep – investigation of the Shadow Thieves leads to an encounter with that very group as they attempt to take the walled library city; first hints to overriding plot
Aglarond – the group is introduced to Elena at the temple of Selune
Underdark – Arlin’s mother is a prisoner of the drow; they are using her to the portals to Evermeet so an army can march through and conquer
Mithril Hall – King Bruenor has gone missing, and the shadow dragon Shimmergloom is suspected to be involved
Halruaa – the arcane mysteries, such as the origins of sorcerers, are investigated
Waterdeep – a powerful assassin is loosed on the party’s trail as they begin to unravel the mysteries of Shar and Cyric’s plots; meetings with Khelban, Drake Brecca, and others
Silverymoon – a visit to the ruined tower of Link Sharloe reveals what happened to change him, as well as more pieces of the dark puzzle
Final Battle – taking place in Cormyr, Mystra’s plane, Elminster’s tower, and other locations across the Realm

Aftermath – a changed world
Possible Stories:

Ao creates a neutral deity to serve as the new Mystra
Advent of Chaos Magic
Necromancers – City of the Dead

slivergrim

First Post
IT SEEMS LIKE A MIGHTY ADENTURE

YOU SEEM TO HAVE A GREAT ADVENTURE AT HAND, AND WELL THOUGH OUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHO YOUR PLAYER RESPOND TO THIS GREAT ADVENTURE. IVE RUN THE REALMS FOR A LONG TIME MYSELF ANDN I THINK YOU HAVE THE BEGINNINGS OF A GREAT ADVENTURE. LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNEDS OUT

DispelAkimbo

Explorer
Incredible sounding plot, certainly wish I could come up with ones as intricate as that one.

My only feedback/suggestion would be to be careful that the players don't feel dwarfed by the magnitude of things. There are some pretty major npc's in there, each with a legacy of their own, and when settling a dispute between the gods, four lowly mortals may feel the focus is not on them enough (even though they are the heroes!).

I guess a lot of it comes down to what your group expects out of a game though. Eg do they like the attention and spotlight of being the hero, or is succeeding at the task reward enough for them.

jollyninja

First Post
are you looking for a devil's advocate? i like the plot alot but here goes. and i'm really grasping here getting really nitpicky and such.

banes clerics run the zhentarim (switching cyric for bane however would change little if anything)

khelben, while cool, is incapable of killing a god. unless of course he was given more power by the unholy duo.

that's really all i can find and i really tried to pick it apart. well done, i am envious of your players, i hope they took the warning to heart. I'm stuck in a capture the black knight type campaign.

Aris

First Post
It would be good to make a very powerful magical item
... The Shadow Sun(shadow from Shar and sun from Cyric as in his skull sun)
It can charm people and give many powers to the owner(thinking khelben)

Anyway can you make pretty good storyhour.

Kiair

First Post
The campaign sounds great. I can't wait to read how it turns out. It reminds me of a fanfiction story I am writing where Shar plots to overthrow Mystra and cover Faerun with her darkness. Except in my story her followers Thay, Shadovar, and the Arcane Brotherhood formed the Tridark alliance and with the backing of all the evil creatures took over Faerun for Shar. Shar's take over plan included a Blessed One of Shar, much like a chosen but twice as powerful with a seed of the shadow weave, and additional abilities. Being a notch higher then a chosen the unholy blessed one suceded in killing the Chosen of Mystra. Shar thought everything is great, Mystra's dead with no sucessor, everyone on Faerun had to worship her or die, they even had to have her mark or they can't buy, sell, or trade. What Shar didn't know is that one of Mystra's last acts was to grant the recently married Simbul and Elminster a child, the Blessed of Mystra, more powerful then her parents with her own seed of the weave inside her. Mystra sent the nine year old princess Kiair Aumar of Algarond to a non-magical world, the world of earth and the country America. The dark world of Faerun had a underground resistence going on led by the Magister who sent the young teenager to Faerun only to be picked up and helped by a member of the resistence a Thayan whose jobs include supplying the undergound with food, supplies,and other information. Taken to the Magister by the Thayan wizzard Danan Kiar is informed by the Magister of her heritage, who she is , her destiny, and her abilities. Kiar is sent back in time to save the Chosen, kill the Blessed of Shar (she is the only one who can), save Mystra, and the world of Faerun. What do you think of my story plan?

Remove ads