D&D 1E My clever theory: why 1e AD&D is being reprinted

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
First, you've probably heard by now that WotC is reprinting special collector's editions of the 1e AD&D PH, DMG and MM. This is a wonderful thing, and not only because each sale is contributing to the Gary Gygax Memorial Fund.

I've been thinking about why (beyond massive goodwill and being generally cool) they're doing this, though, and I have a theory that may hint at the nature of D&DNext. None of this comes from inside knowledge, and I'm blindly guessing. It's an interesting guess, though.

Let's posit for a minute that the core of D&DNext cleaves more closely to 1e-2e-3e feel than 4e. Heck, lets even say closer to 1e with a bunch of modern innovations mixed in, like the best of the OSR games. I can see a problem with this. There are a ton of new gamers who have entered the hobby since 3e, and they'll have absolutely no idea what D&DNext is shooting for. Some of the decisions that cater to nostalgia may seem odd to them.

Thus, the re-release of the 1e books. They give newer gamers a chance to see what's come before, and (hopefully) they provide a positive basis for comparison with the new rules set. It's sort of brilliant, actually, because this is a case where everyone wins.

Opinions? Thoughts? Hilarious debunking?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I think it's a fair theory. Having observed a bunch of 4E players' reaction to the AD&D rules from the campaign I'm running, AD&D is a *superb* basis for a system.

The tension comes from players wanting more options for their characters than the AD&D basics. When you add rules, you slow down the game, and one of AD&D's main attractions is how fast it runs.

So, starting with a basic game and adding things *based on individual group needs* sounds like a great plan to me.

Cheers!

Rune

Once A Fool
First, you've probably heard by now that WotC is reprinting special collector's editions of the 1e AD&D PH, DMG and MM. This is a wonderful thing, and not only because each sale is contributing to the Gary Gygax Memorial Fund.

I've been thinking about why (beyond massive goodwill and being generally cool) they're doing this, though, and I have a theory that may hint at the nature of D&DNext. None of this comes from inside knowledge, and I'm blindly guessing. It's an interesting guess, though.

Let's posit for a minute that the core of D&DNext cleaves more closely to 1e-2e-3e feel than 4e. Heck, lets even say closer to 1e with a bunch of modern innovations mixed in, like the best of the OSR games. I can see a problem with this. There are a ton of new gamers who have entered the hobby since 3e, and they'll have absolutely no idea what D&DNext is shooting for. Some of the decisions that cater to nostalgia may seem odd to them.

Thus, the re-release of the 1e books. They give newer gamers a chance to see what's come before, and (hopefully) they provide a positive basis for comparison with the new rules set. It's sort of brilliant, actually, because this is a case where everyone wins.

Makes sense to me. Not only that, but it might get some lapsed 1e players playing again, just in time to be funneled into the new edition. It's a good marketing move on both ends of the spectrum.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I dunno, while it's neat they are being reprinted, it's at a very premium price - close to $120 for the whole set. I don't think that's appealing to anyone except those that love the game and want to support the effort to build that statue.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
I dunno, while it's neat they are being reprinted, it's at a very premium price - close to $120 for the whole set. I don't think that's appealing to anyone except those that love the game and want to support the effort to build that statue.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, that price isn't "premium". It is exactly in keeping with the prices the core books were from 1977-1979.

1977 - MONSTER MANUAL - $9.99*.

$9.99 in 1977 dollars is $37.08 in 2011 dollars.

1978 - PLAYERS HANDBOOK - $12.99**

$12.99 in 1978 dollars is $44.82 in 2011 dollars.

1979 - DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE - $16.99**

$16.99 in 1979 dollars is $54.62 in 2011 dollars.

So, in fact, these books are a little cheaper now than they were back then, based on buying power. Also note that in 1978, median income was $15,500.00 USD. A gallon of gas cost the equivalent of $2.62 (average), and a gallon of milk was the equivalent of $5.50 (average).

So...nope! Not premium!

Also, my run-of-the-mill plain-jane EXALTED 2nd edition hardback was about $50 when it was new; I bought 2nd hand for $25 in like 200...6? or so. Good, quality hardback RPGs (regardless of how poorly I thought of EXALTED when the dust finally settled) are expensive, and always have been.

The sole advantage is that the original ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS hardbacks were spread out over three years instead of all at once.

*=based on the sticker price on my '77 release of same.
**=approximately.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, I am glad to see it and will be buying the books for sure, even though I ahve the old ones. Well, if I can get them from Amazon, I suppose I should say.

Buyt I agree with the pirate, rereleasing htem now is a very very clever move, for either reason. Support GG, is smart, and reereleasing the 1E books is smart for the 5E run-up.

Win win.

Yeah, clever. Hopefully the print/production quality is up to the originals, as though nice, my 3E/4E PHB has no where near the construction quality my 1E PHB has.

I do fear that by republishing the 1E books WotC will have re-set an impossible bar for the 5E rulebooks -- players will be expecting a continuation of Gygaxian prose and minutae, to say nothing of the wondrous items and wandering trollop table!

tuxgeo

Adventurer

One reservation: if they were trying to "provide a positive basis for comparison with the new rules set," wouldn't they make it available worldwide, so players in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, etc. could gain that benefit as well?

Remove ads