D&D 4E My compiled list of 4E's WoWisms

RigaMortus2

First Post
Fifth Element said:
I see. I read your posts to mean that WotC was denying the inspiration.

It was more that they didn't come out and admit it... That was, until someone reminded me they did infact admit it. But that was only half of it. The other half is the players in denial.

Zarithar

Adventurer
PeterWeller said:
Not to mention that neither faction in WoW is inherently good or evil. They're just opposed to each other.

That's one thing I like about the lore. Nothing is black and white, which makes the backstory alot more interesting in my opinion. Truly evil factions (The Burning Legion, Quiraji, The Scourge) are NPCs.

RigaMortus2 said:
I'll add this if you can think of an instance in an MMO or WoW where this occurs. I agree, it is kind of video gamey, I just can't think of a video game that does this.
I'll have to leave that to someone more knowledgeable. You can count the number of hours I have played MMOs on one hand. One finger, even.

outsider

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Yes, roles exisited, but naming them with arbitrary names such as "defender" "striker" "controller" or "healer" is like calling a WoW Warrior a "tank" or a WoW Rogue "DPS" or a WoW Priest a "Healer".

You'll notice in that quote you provided, they don't give those roles names. They give them a description. Naming the roles is a WoW or MMO kind of thing (that players invited really)

The names aren't arbitrary. They describe what the character does in combat. The roles are being given names because there are now multiple classes that can fulfil them. You'll note that "meatshield" and "healer" have been used for years by D&D players, because there's always been multiple classes that could fulfil those roles(fighter, barbarian, paladin, sometimes ranger were good meatshields, cleric and druid were both good healers). Now that we are going to have multiple classes focusing on area effect, we can't really call that role the "mage" anymore, so they gave it a name.

D&D players have been giving names to roles that multiple classes could fill for decades, long before WoW was a glimmer in Blizzard's eye.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Grog said:

Taken individually, I would agree with you. It is all in the presentation, and the sequencing, which I specified and you decided not to quote for whatever reason (perhaps to further your point and try to discredit mine?).

Since when is breathing fire a free action for a D&D dragon?
Since when does a D&D Dragon's claw attack hit multiple targets?
Since when does the D&D dragon's tail slap knock opponents back? (ok, not sure on this one, it may be a D&D thing, but I threw it in in the hopes I had a point on this one :))
Since when can a D&D dragon spit a ball of fire at a single target?
Since when can a D&D dragon take a second (standard) action in the same turn?
Since when can a D&D dragon do all these attacks in one round of combat?

I know a certain WoW dragon that does these things...

RigaMortus2

First Post
Raduin711 said:
Quest Cards: I have no idea about these. I assume these are an addition to D&D miniatures and not 4e. If so, I know warhammer 40k has different scenarios as well. Table-top strategy games often make use of scenarios as a way of spicing the game up.

Not a mini's thing...

DM: The king asks you to save the princess. If you do so successfully, he will give you 200gp for the reward. Do you accept?
Players: Yes
DM hands players a quest card

Save the Princess
Description: Save the princess from evil Baron Mortimere
Reward: 200gp

RigaMortus2

First Post
Mistwell said:
That word, "arbitrary", I do not think it means what you think it means.

I am sure it doesn't. Can you tell, I've been reading that stupid ring discussion and every other word is 'arbitrary'. Got stuck in my head.

Remove ads