My COVID19 Journey

FitzTheRuke

Legend
How are you feeling now? And have your wife or child started showing any symptoms?

My family is (perhaps strangely) still fine. Our best guess is that they are asymptomatic carries, because we can't believe that we have done enough to keep them from being exposed, and it's supposed to by highly contagious. I mean, we haven't touched, and I haven't coughed on or near them (and then, I'm not bad at keeping it in my sleeve) but still, if it's so contagious, they pretty much have to have been exposed to it. So far so good, I guess.

As far as my health goes, I wish I had better news. I mean, I really, really wish:

First, a Gaming Reference: In the depths of the Underdark, on the shores of the Darklake, lies the city of Gracklestugh. Ruled by the Deep King of the Duergar, the fires of the dark dwarves' forges burn day and night. Having burned all of the nearby zirkwood (tree-like mushrooms) forests, the duergar have turned to fuel that they can mine: coal and oil to heat their forges. Worse still, the strange winds of the dark lake blow towards the city, more often than away. The city is in a cavern that is shrouded in a constant, choking fog. This leads to a common ailment known as Grackle-Lung, which causes wheezing, coughing fits, and a characteristic popping noise when the infected breathes. Most duergar can live with grackle-lung, with raspy voice and a constant cough, but their weaker servants and slaves are often brought low by the sickness.

(Note: I have no idea how much of that is cannon and how much I made up.)

Thusday and Friday I have been making "jokes" about having Grackle-Lung (told you I pretty much live D&D). My lungs keep crackling when I breath. I made the mistake of thinking that it was just left-over from the illness, and that I was mostly on the mend. I was looking forward to getting back to work Tuesday, when my 14 days would be up. (Even if the store's closed to the public, there's lots I could be doing...)

Saturday I came down with a fever again. Also the first time I've had nausea, IIRC. This thing seems to keep trying to find new ways to take me out. Also, my head has been killing me, and Tylenol is not helping. I feel like I'm in some kind of mental haze. My head is just not quite working right. I can't really explain it better than that. Sunday has been no better so far.

I think I might be in for another week....

ruemere

Adventurer
My family is (perhaps strangely) still fine. Our best guess is that they are asymptomatic carries, because we can't believe that we have done enough to keep them from being exposed, and it's supposed to by highly contagious. I mean, we haven't touched, and I haven't coughed on or near them (and then, I'm not bad at keeping it in my sleeve) but still, if it's so contagious, they pretty much have to have been exposed to it. So far so good, I guess.

As far as my health goes, I wish I had better news. I mean, I really, really wish:

First, a Gaming Reference: In the depths of the Underdark, on the shores of the Darklake, lies the city of Gracklestugh. Ruled by the Deep King of the Duergar, the fires of the dark dwarves' forges burn day and night. Having burned all of the nearby zirkwood (tree-like mushrooms) forests, the duergar have turned to fuel that they can mine: coal and oil to heat their forges. Worse still, the strange winds of the dark lake blow towards the city, more often than away. The city is in a cavern that is shrouded in a constant, choking fog. This leads to a common ailment known as Grackle-Lung, which causes wheezing, coughing fits, and a characteristic popping noise when the infected breathes. Most duergar can live with grackle-lung, with raspy voice and a constant cough, but their weaker servants and slaves are often brought low by the sickness.

(Note: I have no idea how much of that is cannon and how much I made up.)

Thusday and Friday I have been making "jokes" about having Grackle-Lung (told you I pretty much live D&D). My lungs keep crackling when I breath. I made the mistake of thinking that it was just left-over from the illness, and that I was mostly on the mend. I was looking forward to getting back to work Tuesday, when my 14 days would be up. (Even if the store's closed to the public, there's lots I could be doing...)

Saturday I came down with a fever again. Also the first time I've had nausea, IIRC. This thing seems to keep trying to find new ways to take me out. Also, my head has been killing me, and Tylenol is not helping. I feel like I'm in some kind of mental haze. My head is just not quite working right. I can't really explain it better than that. Sunday has been no better so far.

I think I might be in for another week....
This might indicate transition to the severe stage. Get a doctor to check your lungs ASAP.
(in case someone is able to contact Fitz or his family in real life, please do so)

NOTE: I am not a doctor.
NOTE #2: Your description does not seem to match mild case symptoms anymore. You may seem to be developing pneumonia, and this is not something you heal with Tylenol/Paracetamol.
NOTE #3: I do hope I am absolutely wrong about this.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
This might indicate transition to the severe stage. Get a doctor to check your lungs ASAP.

I have had pneumonia before, and while it's a lot like this, it's also a lot worse. (I suppose this could be a mild case).

This is one of the frustrating things about this illness for me, I've certainly had all of these symptoms before (except maybe that weird drowning feeling) and I've had them worse - I've had a worse cough, a worse sore throat, worse fevers, etc. But I have never had them just keep going and going and going one after the other. I've never felt better-then-worse-then-better-then-worse so many times.

Thank-you very much (honestly) for your concern, and I will certainly keep an "eye" on the severity of my symptoms, and speak to my doctor ASAP (they are doing phone appointments, which is amazing). But I think I'll stay out of the medical system's way unless I really need it. I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Fitz,

I'm sorry to hear you have relapsed. :( These are U.S. CDC guidelines, not Canada, but I'm posting the link anyway.

What to do if you are sick with COVID-19

It says if you have the following emergency warning signs you should seek immediate medical attention.

*Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
*Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
*New confusion or inability to arouse
*Bluish lips or face

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
But I think I'll stay out of the medical system's way unless I really need it. I don't think I'm quite there yet.
Do not wait until you cannot even crawl into the car to decide it is time to go to the hospital. Head out while you are still in good enough shape to get there.

And where do you find an IRL Scroll of Greater Restoration ?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Fitz, I'm sorry to hear you have relapsed. :( These are U.S. CDC guidelines, not Canada, but I'm posting the link anyway.

Thanks. While there's some minor differences in the advice given by each countries' medical systems, those are pretty universal and good to know!

(Just so everyone doesn't worry too much about me - I'm feeling a little better again, and it never quite got bad enough to call emergency. I have a (video) doctor's appointment for tomorrow morning. So I should be good. Sorry if I scared anyone. I'm grateful for the love.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Quick Update: I am well and truly on the mend. The only lingering thing I have now, is that I am wiped out by 3pm. I can stay up to watch some TV, but I can't do anything more vigorous than that. Usually, I need a nap.

It took me 16 days, from the start of my symptoms (not including the headache) before I felt like I was (mostly) better. I'm still not sure if I'm contagious, or even if I'm immune now, so I'm still being super cautious.

Stay safe out there everyone. I hope none of you go through it!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Quick Update: I am well and truly on the mend. The only lingering thing I have now, is that I am wiped out by 3pm. I can stay up to watch some TV, but I can't do anything more vigorous than that. Usually, I need a nap.

It took me 16 days, from the start of my symptoms (not including the headache) before I felt like I was (mostly) better. I'm still not sure if I'm contagious, or even if I'm immune now, so I'm still being super cautious.

Stay safe out there everyone. I hope none of you go through it!
I am going to sound like cold-blooded* Dracula for a moment:
The results from a blood test would be very interesting. You have to be full of active antibodies and dying viruses.

-end Dracula-

Keep care of yourself. If "grandma's common cold remedies" are any use, a diet high in orange juice and chicken soup would be in order, to finish off this bug. And do get the rest your body wants.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

* pardon the pun

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am going to sound like cold-blooded* Dracula for a moment:
The results from a blood test would be very interesting. You have to be full of active antibodies and dying viruses.

I know what you mean! It's a real shame that the medical system is far too busy for me! I'd love to know how my antibodies are doing. Heck, I'd volunteer to help at a hospital or something if I knew it were safe to do so (and they had stuff they needed me to do - I'm a hard worker and a quick study). You know, once I have an energy level to speak of...

Remove ads